Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Budget Sub for Music PT#1 - LONG POST WARNING!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Budget Sub for Music PT#1 - LONG POST WARNING!

PART #1 OF 3 (split post due to 10,000 character length limit)

Purpose of this long message, is for advice and opinions regarding the purchase of a new subwoofer that would fit my own requirements, listed below. Price point $500.00 - $700.00 is the target, I could be swayed with a gun to my head to go as high as $999.00, which seems crazy, but lets leave the door to the asylum open!

I have followed Tweak City forum owner and member poster on other sites, "Craigsub", originally learned about him and his website from the AVS forum, and wanted to start by thanking him and his buddies for the now famous "sub list" from last year. What some critics fail to realize is the list is a great starting point for those like me that start with google when first learning about subs. I was enlightened by learning about all the "other" companies offerings, that I had never heard of. This jump started my homework, granted my head has been spinning for a week. I am also aware of the time consuming process of making notes, and putting them into a readable format, this cannot be overlooked for the shear effort in time and labor.

Before reading about the "CraigSub list", I was simply going to buy the Polk DSW MicroPro 1000 8" driver for $500.00 at a local store, but thankfully for me it has not been in stock for some time. I called Polk tech support to ask them how this 1200-watt RMS amp and small speaker compared to the same price Polk DSW PRO 500, with it's 10" driver and 200-watt amp. Well, I got no real answer in the end, and was more confused then ever. I thought the idea of a sub with a remote control would make it easier for me to reduce the "thump" in consideration of my neighbors at night. The Onkyo has a "night mode", but it does NOT apply to music playback. That lead me to AVS, then "Craigsub" and the sub-list review, more reading and research, and now here.

I'll apologize in advance for a long post, but I wanted to do my homework, and take my time in writing a detailed message before asking for opinions and advice. I have read as much as I could, both in Tweak City forums as well as in AVS forums, and many, now "older" reviews of the products in my budget. In the end, there are a few technical issues and questions I can't resolve without some wise guidance from the "pros". While I have learned a lot from others requests for advice on subs in the same price point, their specific needs are always a bit different then mine (more MUSIC then HT sources), so the advice, solutions, and brand models are usually a bit different then for my needs. I know it's a lot to ask, and I'm asking a lot of questions for advice, but my goal is to buy via mail order and to hopefully get my FIRST "true sub", and most likely my LAST, I'm no kid anymore. The challenge of course is asking the owners of much higher quality subs and speakers and systems to help one choose less expensive gear that can get closer to the gear they have. I'm not too dumb and realize there are going to be lots of trade offs when buying by budget alone, but with some help, it's possible to get decent gear that will sound good and hopefully last a long time. And perhaps all this will help the next buyer that comes along with similar needs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PREVIOUS 2.1 STEREO SYSTEM (components now over 20 years old being retired, or used as satellite speakers for now):

Main Speakers: Polk 5 Jrs (Bookshelf Speakers)
    Low Freq Speaker: Polk LF-14 (NOT a sub, bought from a friend, connected to the L/R speaker connections)
    AMP: SoundCraftsman PM 840, 410 watt RMS, 300 watt per channel x 2
    PreAmp: SoundCraftsman DX-4000
    EQ: 10 channel SoundCraftsman SE 450
    Tuner: Carver

With decent research and shopping at the time, got over 20 years of service out of those "components", NO crossover settings etc. very simple 2.1 system. But well overdue, now it's time for all new stuff. So here is the beginning of new system, doing it one "painful" step at a time.

MY NEW SYSTEM (so far as of 2-23-09):

Main Speakers: OHM Micro Walsh "Main Wall". These are the smallest he makes at 12"x12"x12". They will both sit on a shelf, suspended by 3 chains four feet down from my 10 foot ceiling. This puts the shelf at about SIX feet from the floor of the room. I have FOUR months to listen/test these Main speakers from OHM. Cost $1,000.00/pair. Will be picking them up in one week.

AVR/RECEIVER: Onkyo AVR 906 (cost $1,500.00) 145 watts per channel X 7 channels.

So now I need an affordable SUBWOOFER that will work with my requirements, and hence this request for advice and opinions.

================================================== =================================

MY SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS:

1) I listen mostly to MUSIC 80/20, but now that I have started with a new 7.1 AVR receiver, I plan on using my previous main speakers the Polk 5 jr's as my rear L/R channels and some Definitive Technology ProMonitor 80 Mk2 speakers for the L/R middle channels. This will tide me over until I buy new speakers for the middle and rear channels for movie playback. I still have to shop for an affordable "MIDDLE" speaker for voices etc. But the SUBWOOFER, seems the next most important speaker as I like good, clean bass. Now and then I play my own electric bass instrument, so I do like bass.

That said, I am after reference monitor type performance for MUSIC, as I would rather compromise HT "MOVIE" bass effects. On average I listen to music 80% of the time, playing all the time when I am home. CD's, MP3, AAC, FLAC, Internet streaming radio, streaming iTunes library from my own hard drives, etc. Mostly Jazz, then Funk and Rock, and at times Classical.

20% of the time, would be HT style movie playback, and I would not be as picky with bass SFX sounds. A tank is a tank, an explosion is BANG, granted I won't be able to knock anyone off their seats, but that is a given trade off for me.

2) I live in an apartment building with neighbors above, below and to the sides of my unit. Volume during the day when I am home and weekends can go HIGHER, as well as subwoofer levels, but overall I can't BLAST the low freqs., as many can that live in their own homes or basement home theaters. I think this goes nicely with my wishes for better pure/clean sub/bass for music. Having a Sub that is audible and sounds good at LOW volumes would also be a huge plus, as often I have to work during daytime hours and still like to listen to music during the night time hours when others in my building are asleep and I keep the volume levels low, and prefer NOT to use headphones or earbuds.

3) Size of sub IS somewhat important in apartment setting. Lucky for me I'm not interested in blasting movie SFX anyways, so most of the units I have researched are NOT too large in size for music fidelity. I'm sure they all will be okay for "tanks", and "explosions" when I watch a movie 20% of the time.

4) Budget, most of us have one. I am trying not to spend more then 50% of the price of my main speakers, meaning the $500.00 - $700.00 range for a subwoofer. I have some flexibility, but refuse to go above $1000.00, as I don't think it would be worth it for my own apartment space.

5) I need to purchase a subwoofer NOW, can't wait weeks or months for vaporware items. This "shopping" part is all on me, and is what I'm pretty good at. Knowing what to get in the sub world, is why I'm asking for HELP! I can't buy and ship back all the potential candidates, hopefully with all your help I can do this once, and then report back how it goes and sounds.

6) Not interested in buying from any companies that may not be in business before the limited warranty runs out. Polk, while no longer on my list, at least has been around and does not appear to be going anywhere soon.

7) No real interest in buying "used" at this price point. Never know how the sub was treated by a "stranger". Trying to find "old stock" and B-Stock seems to lead to far too many dead ends and I've narrowed down my search so far to a select few brands anyways.

PART #2 OF 3 MY ROOM SPECS AND MORE.... BELOW

Best Budget Sub for Music PT#2 - LONG POST WARNING!

PART #2 OF 3 (split post due to 10,000 character length limit)

MY ROOM SPECIFICS:

SIZE OF ROOM (APARTMENT):
    Length: 19 Feet
    Width: 13 Feet
    Height: 10 Feet
    2500 Square Feet. (considered by some sites as "MEDIUM SIZE" room).

Main speakers are suspended from ceiling at one end of the smaller size room rectangle, couch for sitting and listening is 1/3 of the way back from this end of the room. HARD wood floors, brick walls on both smaller ends of rectangular room. Not very much sound damping materials in room. I seldom sit and really listen to music from the couch position, but walk around the room while doing other things here. But will optimize for this centered position anyways. This centered couch position would be the spot for all movie viewing though. Because of room object layout, the subwoofer will live on the floor in the front far right corner spot, below the right MAIN speaker, with a few inches to it's right and from back brick wall.

================================================== ======
    MY GENERAL RESEARCH so far:

SUBS - NO longer being considered:

Epik "Valore": DISCONTINUED. First learned of this model from the "Craigsub subwoofer review list", seemed at the time as my best option, but no longer. As of only a day ago, this company resurfaced with new website and products. The "Valore" is gone, so are the cheaper prices. Their new lowest priced "sealed sub" called "Vanquish" is over 20% more money, smaller driver, no longer a "BASH" amp. Not sure myself it any of that is truly meaningful or not. Non Bash amps, smaller size drivers and who know how long for delivery dates, I did write them again for any possible delivery dates, but I need a SUB NOW, so I have think it's time to remove them from my list of possible choices.

AV123 MFW-15: BUGGY DRIVERS? Even if this model is the best on the planet, I am having trouble considering this unit, due to all the posts, both old and very current, with driver "issues". Mostly because I am personally cursed with "product return bug". Just ask my mother, still alive at 85, she will vouch for this problem I have. If there is a bug in "software/hardware" it will find me. From what I've read it seems these issues have gone on, unresolved for a longer time then one would expect. Perhaps I am dead wrong and the reported problems no longer exist on current shipping units, but these reports from buyer/users have scared me off. And as of this writing, the "Satin Black" is "OUT OF STOCK" as well, the model I could afford at $700.00. Also a bit big for my apartment, a 15" driver perhaps more then I need in my space, perhaps better for HT use? Specs look great in this ported, 350 watt unit.

OUTLAW LFM-1 EX: NO STOCK - BACKORDERED as of this message for 45 days, NOT acceptable for my immediate needs. Seemed like a possible candidate, but 45 days, don't know how they could stay in viable business these days with those delivery dates, at least they quote them, I give them credit in this area.

================================================== =================

SPECIFIC TECH - ADVICE/OPINIONS: (please chime in for these areas I've researched, but get more confused by reading even more)?

If you got this far, you'll remember MUSIC fidelity is my main focus 80/20. I won't bother quoting others, as many of you already know most of this stuff inside and out, and most likely the specs and models talked about many times before here and elsewhere in threads like "best subwoofer for less then $600.00", etc.

PORTED/NON-PORTED:
    From what I have read (newbie/novice readings), it seems the issue of PORTED/NON-PORTED is debatable, and comes down to, if done PROPERLY, either system can work if the design, and components are done "right". Many lean toward saying that the most popular subs in music mixing facilities "reference monitors", are of the SEALED type. So I attempted to narrow my "list" down using this as one of the criteria, but I'm now am unsure of this, as I see most on my list offer both types, so I am still OPEN, which makes it harder to narrow down. The Epik "Valore", NO longer made, was one such subwoofer that seemed spec wise as a great choice, but see above why I don't think Epik is a choice for me any longer, mostly due to newer cost and lack of production. I've added my NOTES on this subject at the very bottom of this post for any newbies like me that are just lurking, and learning, again even this info may not be accurate but instead "debatable"?

ANY ADVICE/OPINIONS ON THIS SUBJECT - WELCOME.

AMPS:
    I have NO clue. Many in my $500-$700 range all seem to use the BASH amps, the connections and filters and overall amp ratings seem to vary from 200 watts to over 400 watts. Not sure what a 1200 watt amp in the Polk Micros do any better, especially in a 8" driver? Seems from what I read on my Onkyo 906 manual as well as online, I would be connecting any subwoofer to my LFE output on the AVR anyways, not sure what part of the amps controls this bypasses if any. Another words, many of these amps have lots of built-in controls, but I'm not sure I'd be using any or all of the subs controls in the end? Why pay for stuff you will not need or use?

EXP: IS A BASH AMP A PLUS?

ANY ADVICE/OPINIONS ON THIS SUBJECT - WELCOME.

FRONT FIRING DRIVER:
    Again, I'm not sure if this should be part of my list to include/exclude, but my own logic and from all my research, seems to indicate that down firing drivers, may need a rug/carpet to diffuse the "boom", and some report their subs move or travel on hard wood floors like mine. Also seems all the "SEALED" subs that I am leaning towards are "FRONT FIRING". This may be another case of my living in an apartment where using a down driver would only PISS off my neighbors below me, if I don't need this for quality music audio to begin with?

ANY ADVICE/OPINIONS ON THIS SUBJECT - WELCOME

DUAL PURPOSE SUBS, ones that give the user some control over MUSIC playback or MOVIE SFX playback.

Sure I want it all, something for nothing so to speak. Great music playback and then by removing a "PLUG" in one of the dual ports, you get better low end for MOVIE SFX. But I know nothing comes without a compromise, and it does not seem like a pleasure to get to the back of a heavy sub to pull the "plug" and flick the "switch". Something I guess I'd be willing to do if anyone can vouch for it's effectiveness? Can you really get the "best" of both worlds with these designs?

The HSU VTF-2 MK3 is the one that I am specifically talking about and is in my list of buying candidates, see below for details.

From the HSU website on their VTF series (Variable Tuning)

QUOTE: "Variable tuning allows you to switch the bass characteristics on-demand. Choose between lower extension (‘music’ mode) or higher headroom (‘home theater’ mode). Subwoofer designs involve tradeoffs – one cannot optimally design a subwoofer to play low deep notes, and at the same time play loud. Usually the designer chooses a tradeoff for you. With the VTF series, we let you, the user, have uncompromising control at home."

Not sure if this is gimmick, or has real world value?

ANY ADVICE/OPINIONS ON THIS SUBJECT - WELCOME

Comment

Best Budget Sub for Music PT#3 - LONG POST WARNING!

PART #3 OF 3 (split post due to 10,000 character length limit)

SPECIFIC BRANDS ON CURRENT "BUY" LIST (not in any prioritized order):

Naturally a few "online/direct" brands come up in reviews and opinions in threads, in my price range, which ends up being the natural starting point, NO reason for me to even consider wonderful subs that cost more then I can afford within the system and apartment environment that I have to deal with here. I'll just paste the main features and tech points of those I'm considering at this point hopefully to make it easier for those that can respond.

SVS BRAND - TWO MODELS

SVS SB12 PLUS:
      (LINK: http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb12plus.cfm)
      COST: $700 in "Charcoal Black", (currently offering FREE shipping)
      DRIVER SIZE AND POSITION: 12" Driver FRONT Firing, SEALED DESIGN, (better for music?)
      AMP: Built-in 425 Watt BASH Amp with PEQ
      SIZE: Approx. 15” deep x 14" wide x 14 " high
      FREQUENCY RESPONSE: *From their website, "Industry leading response (+/- 3db 22 Hz - 150 Hz) the chart link is just below under "NOTES".

NOTES:
      SPL vs FREQ chart (here: http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-...lus.cfm#driver) seems to DIP well before the 20 hz range compared to others, maybe due to small cabinet size and sealed design?
      SIZE: Fits nice in my apartment setting.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
      SVS PB12-NSD:

(LINK: http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb12nsd.cfm)
      COST: $600 in "Charcoal Black".
      DRIVER SIZE AND POSITION: 12" Driver FRONT Firing PORTED. (SVS designed/built long-throw)
      AMP: Built-in 325 Watt BASH digital Amp
      SIZE: 25" deep x 18" wide* x 21" high.*
      FREQUENCY RESPONSE: (+/-3dB 18Hz - 200hz anechoic extension) NOT SURE what this one means for comparison to the others?
      NOTES: This model uses a PORTED Design, maybe a MINUS?

SPL vs FREQ chart (here: http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-pb12nsd.cfm) Seems flatter (more accurate?) then then the SB12 listed above? But box is larger then the SB12 Plus!
      Size: is a bit TOO LARGE for my apartment and current layout, but not by much. A "possible PORTED candidate".

SVS GENERAL COMPANY NOTES: This company may have been a startup like Epik not long a go, but they show up in every list in this price category, use the same BASH amps as others in this range, have a very informative web site, and in my case, the MAIN plus is the subs are at least listed on their site, as "IN STOCK"! Seems they will be around awhile as a company to backup their own 3 Year warranty and 45 Day money back trail.

================================================== ============================================
      HSU BRAND:

VTF-2 MK3 (LINK: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html)
      COST: $500.00 in "Satin Black". PLUS Shipping/Handleing $60.00 TOTAL = $650.00 *lowest price of units under consideration, but not enough to matter!
      DRIVER SIZE AND POSITION: 12" Driver DOWN Firing PORTED.
      AMP: 250 Watt RMS, shows as BASH brand in online photos on back of unit, not listed in general specs though.
      SIZE: 23" deep x 15" wide x 22" high. (GOOD SIZE for my apartment)
      FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 25 Hz (Maximum "OUTPUT" mode)
      FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 18 Hz (Maximum "EXTENSION" mode)

NOTES: also from above:
      From the HSU website on their VTF series (Variable Tuning)
      QUOTE: "Variable tuning allows you to switch the bass characteristics on-demand. Choose between lower extension (‘music’ mode) or higher headroom (‘home theater’ mode). Subwoofer designs involve tradeoffs – one cannot optimally design a subwoofer to play low deep notes, and at the same time play loud. Usually the designer chooses a tradeoff for you. With the VTF series, we let you, the user, have uncompromising control at home."

Not sure if this is gimmick, or has real world value? The idea of course is very intriguing. Can a "ported" sub offer the supposed benefits of better music reproduction of "unported"?

The DOWN FIRING driver is something I am NOT sure about IF indeed down firing drivers are going to piss off my neighbors and require a rug, and if ported subs are not quite as good as un-ported for best music playback, both QUESTIONS, then this sub might not meet my needs listed above?)

HSU GENERAL COMPANY NOTES: 7 year warranty on woofer, 2 years on electronics. Been around for awhile, decent website, make most "recommended lists" in this price point.

================================================== ===========================================

NOTE: I am open to any other brands, as I have been, assuming they meet most of my "needs", available to buy today, in budget range, good for 80/20 music listening and size, see above for exact list. Disappointed that I had to remove three brands from my list of candidates (see top of this post) for reasons listed, so what's left maybe limiting, but maybe there a some others I should consider, that I am unaware of?

I'm not lazy, but there comes a point when you don't know a subject well enough and that you can go NO further without HELP. But here is where I am at so far in brands I listed above that come close in many of my "needs' categories. Now I'm at the mercy of those that can help me through the darkness of novice confusion!

THANKS again to anyone that can take the time from their personal life to respond, to any of my key points and questions, even if it's one thing. I copy/paste and save all advice. I won't hold anyone to any "free" advice, as I'm a big boy and will have to make the final choice myself. And I do promise to give feedback when this sub is in place here.

SORRY, again for such a long post, but when asking for help/advice I figured it best to include as much info as I could, as many do not. I have my credit card ready and have to "pull the trigger" ASAP, as auditioning the OHM's as my "Main Speakers" which I will pickup myself from the local Brooklyn shop by the 1st of March, will be harder as overall system to judge with NO subwoofer in place by then. I will be posting this plea for help/advice on some other forums, not as SPAM, but since many forums have members that are NOT members of other forums, just ignore it if you were kind enough to respond already, but this is my first stop out of respect for the knowledge base of the members here. I know it's a "pain" to respond to these kinds of posts as I do it myself in my own areas of expertise which are "video" and "Apple Computers", but you can help me become "HAPPY" with my final choice, as my own research in my price range is as about as far as I can go on my own. THANKS AGAIN to any and all!

Mactavish

================================================== ======================================

ADDITIONAL NOTES: (COPY/PASTED) FOR NEWBIES ON PORTED VERSUS UNPORTED DESIGN (for whatever this info is worth?)

FROM: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62895

RuSsMaN on Polk forum wrote:
      "In general porting offers a low tuning point and higher efficiency. The drawbacks are lower power handling, port noise, and a loose - less controlled sound. Sealed designs are less efficient (thus needing more power), and though not always tuned as low - they don't have the 'waterfall' drop at the tuning point as ported designs do. A properly designed sealed box will roll off at 6db/octave (compared to 18-24db/oct in most ported designs). All things equal they tend have a tighter, more articulate sound. Those aren't hard fast rules, even if they were, there would be exceptions - but in my experience its a decent summation."

FROM: Crutchfield Writing Team — Jun 16, 2008, their website:

The type of bass you get from your component subwoofer doesn't depend on the woofer alone. You'll need a strong, tightly-constructed enclosure for optimum subwoofer performance. Speakers without an enclosure can't deliver full bass because the sound from the back of the speaker can cancel out some low frequencies emanating from the front of the speaker.
      Using our box-building accessories, you might choose to construct your own box to create the enclosure size that you want. However, unless you have excellent craftsman skills and a solid understanding of enclosure volumes and other technical terms, you're better off purchasing a convenient, professional-looking pre-made enclosure.
      Different types of boxes will produce different types of bass:
      Sealed boxes: For deep, precise bass 
A sealed box is an airtight enclosure housing your subwoofer. A sealed box is best for any music that demands tight, accurate bass. Expect flat response (not excessively boomy), deep bass extension, and excellent power handling. Since a sealed enclosure tends to require more power than a ported box, use an amplifier with ample wattage for optimum performance.
      Ported boxes: For forceful bass 
Ported boxes use a vent (called a port) to reinforce low bass response. You get more output than you would from a sealed box at any given amplifier wattage. Some people prefer the sound of ported boxes for rock, heavy metal, or any hard-driving music. Ported boxes can deliver deeper bass than sealed boxes, though they need to be much larger than sealed enclosures to accomplish that.
      ====== END OF PASTE FROM CRUTCHFIELD SITE ==============

Comment

If I missed it, I apologize but are you against DIY? If not I might have something suitable for your needs and a couple hundred dollars under your $1k budget.

Comment

Not dead set against any ideas, at the small profit margins in the 500-700 range, DIY did not seem like a good option. Figured all I could do is screw up. I would assume parts are parts, but the BOX would be were most of the "science" is? What do you suggest out of curiosity?

Thanks for you interest, didn't think anyone would get through 3 long pages, wish I had a "door prize" for you! :clapper:

Comment

Originally posted by Mactavish
            Not dead set against any ideas, at the small profit margins in the 500-700 range, DIY did not seem like a good option. Figured all I could do is screw up. I would assume parts are parts, but the BOX would be were most of the "science" is? What do you suggest out of curiosity?

Thanks for you interest, didn't think anyone would get through 3 long pages, wish I had a "door prize" for you! :clapper:
            LOL, at least it was a well organized post so that made the read easier.:applause:

It's the Infinity Kappa Perfect build that a couple members on Audioholics came up with and laid out the design for us not so technically inclined folks. I actually have two of these in the works myself and should have them back tomorrow or Wednesday.

Here is a link to the design....http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=45528

Here is a review of one of the first people to actually go through with the build....
            http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...light=infinity

All said and done I'll have just about over $1000 into both of them include amp, subs, enclosures done by cabinet maker stained to my preference, and other misc odds and ends. I already have an EQ (SMS-1) so that would have to be figured into cost also but just to do one you'll be right around $600-700.

Performance wise, think SVS PB-13 ultra for nearly a 1/3 of the price and will put to shame anything commercially on your list in both SQ and output. You will have no port compression or flutter with this size of slot port used. The only negative I can see in your case is the size of the enclosure.

Comment

Here is the build thread to the user review posted above, his finish turned out really good for someone doing it out of his garage.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=45561

Comment

Thanks Matt,
                Living in a med size apartment would making building a box next to impossible. But I was impressed. I also need a sub today, so I'm going to have to "pay to PLAY" as they say. Size of box is somewhat an issue, the names I mentioned are all about as big as I can go here.

Comment

I will be impressed when I see a JL w7 in a box. Now THAT is something worth listening to :-p

Comment

Thanks Matt,
                    Living in a med size apartment would making building a box next to impossible. But I was impressed. I also need a sub today, so I'm going to have to "pay to PLAY" as they say. Size of box is somewhat an issue, the names I mentioned are all about as big as I can go here.
                    I have very limited wood working tools and next to none experience but I was able to find a cabinet maker locally to build and stain them. I'm out $450 for them but like you don't have the ability to make my own. Totally understand the size issue, they are equivalent to having a small dishwasher in your living room.:eek:

I have had in the past dual HSU VTF3.2 which I really loved so of course the HSU on your list gets my nod. I'll type up a better response after I run an errand real quick.

Comment

I seriously thought SCAMP would be ready, actually on V1.2 by the time I finished reading this....:p;);):D

Good luck on your search! Sorry for the :Offtopic:

Comment

FWIW, I'd suggest asking SV Sounds what they'd recommend of their two options given your preferences and room dimensions. They've been known for being very helpful and honest in this area.

good luck, and enjoy.

P.S. I'm admittedly happier with my sealed subs for music, but I have two both to give me the SPLs and to smooth out the room.
                        Sent to my room. :smoke1:

Comment

Originally posted by Eric D
                          FWIW, I'd suggest asking SV Sounds what they'd recommend of their two options given your preferences and room dimensions. They've been known for being very helpful and honest in this area.

good luck, and enjoy.

P.S. I'm admittedly happier with my sealed subs for music, but I have two both to give me the SPLs and to smooth out the room.
                          Can I ask the size of the room, where you require both (2) a sealed and ported sub?

Comment

Can I ask the size of the room, where you require both (2) a sealed and ported sub?
                            Sorry - I don't have both sealed and ported, I have two sealed 12" subs. I previously had one ported 12" sub.

The room is 15W x 17L x 8.5H (feet), but the space is open to the kitchen (except for a 4 ft wall) making the length 35 ft., as well as having a two-person wide opening to the rest of the house.

good luck with your decision,
                            Sent to my room. :smoke1:

Comment

Started new thread on two other BRANDS for MUSIC

I Started new thread on two other BRANDS, I learned about yesterday. Since they involve the topic of "servo" versus "non-servo", I thought it best to make a new thread, here:

http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/...2962#post12962

Comment

Working...
                              X