This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by msweig View Post
    Jon, will you be able to give us a ballpark idea of what the cost of the twin will be when the others come out? A broad range or something like that would be fine. I'd assume it will be more than the 500w, but I have no idea what kind of jump I should be expecting.
    Frankly, it's hard to even estimate. I'd rather derive final costs and then calculate a firm number.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

Frankly, it's hard to even estimate. I'd rather derive final costs and then calculate a firm number.
      Ok. Thanks!

Comment

• Very interesting .....now I guess the decision is to go for the first round of subs or wait for the dual...

Comment

• Are these available? The Chane website shows no subwoofers for sale I could find.

Comment

• Originally posted by Givemeyoursoul View Post
            Are these available? The Chane website shows no subwoofers for sale I could find.
            Not yet. Literally any day now. I expect the release anytime in the next 1-2 weeks. Just check here on the Chane site daily, or the Twitter page.

Comment

• Originally posted by jwskud View Post
              Not yet. Literally any day now. I expect the release anytime in the next 1-2 weeks. Just check here on the Chane site daily, or the Twitter page.
              Based on what Jon mentioned before, a newsletter will be published first before these become available for sale.

Given that I haven't seen the newsletter, they're probably still some ways away.

Comment

• Originally posted by e-2-m View Post
                Based on what Jon mentioned before, a newsletter will be published first before these become available for sale.
                Given that I haven't seen the newsletter, they're probably still some ways away.
                The newsletter will come out right when they go on sale. So expect a full blitz on this forum, on the website (shopping), via the newsletter, and on the Twitter page, all at once. That's the way Chane has operated in the past, and I believe Jon's intention this time, as well (see post #112). Given that the 700 and L Series are also debuting, he might be trying to line everything else up at once, which is crazy(!), but in a good way!

My one concern is that this blitz approach doesn't give us a lot of time to review and contemplate specs/prices, but I suppose I'm already sold on the 550 anyway, so it doesn't matter. But I'm hoping for a full spec page for each sub, with max outputs in dB, F3 and F6 values, etc.

Comment

The newsletter will come out right when they go on sale. So expect a full blitz on this forum, on the website (shopping), via the newsletter, and on the Twitter page, all at once. That's the way Chane has operated in the past, and I believe Jon's intention this time, as well (see post #112). Given that the 700 and L Series are also debuting, he might be trying to line everything else up at once, which is crazy(!), but in a good way!

My one concern is that this blitz approach doesn't give us a lot of time to review and contemplate specs/prices, but I suppose I'm already sold on the 550 anyway, so it doesn't matter. But I'm hoping for a full spec page for each sub, with max outputs in dB, F3 and F6 values, etc.
                  Pretty sure it's Subs first. Others later. Logistically, I don't think it's plausible to launch all at once :

Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post
                  We've throughput about 50 complete subs in a day to test the line, but need final cost numbers in order to offer them for sale. Naturally we have no issue with brisk sales and you all want bass so this is a priority.
                  Last edited by wkrpic; 06-16-2020, 05:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wkrpic View Post
                    Pretty sure it's Subs first. Others later. Logistically, I don't think it's plausible to launch all at once :
                    Let's all hope so, for Jon's sake!

Comment

• Originally posted by wkrpic View Post
                      That's true, more or less, although assembly and testing is happening on everything right now. Subs will clear first but the other models won't lag by much. We hope.

It's been a weird year: Some out-of-stock situations have transpired due to Covid, and we're facing a few driver shortages of our own here and there. The good news is that virtually all of them will resolve in a reasonable time frame.

In the end everything will fill in nicely and OOS situations should be few and short-term.

Comment

• I've been reading up on BASH amplifiers, which I know nothing about. Supposedly they combine the positive aspects of Class A/B (low-power stage) and Class D (high-power stage). However, I have some minor concerns about long-term reliability given some of what I've read. Granted, each amp is its own entity, and quality probably varies from one to another, and I expect the BASH amps in the new Chane subs to be high quality...but perhaps we can have some more information to alleviate my worries? When I buy electronics I hope they'll last for 20+ years, and the upcoming Chane subs will be with me ~forever. So, are BASH amps less reliable than Class D?

Granted, I have no idea what kind of amp is in my current Klipsch subwoofer (Klipsch just says it's "all digital" - ha!), and my old Kenwood SW-35HT (8", a whopping 75 watt at 6 ohm) is still going strong after 21 years, so I'm probably over-analyzing this issue. But it would still be nice to know more.

Comment

I've been reading up on BASH amplifiers, which I know nothing about. Supposedly they combine the positive aspects of Class A/B (low-power stage) and Class D (high-power stage). However, I have some minor concerns about long-term reliability given some of what I've read. Granted, each amp is its own entity, and quality probably varies from one to another, and I expect the BASH amps in the new Chane subs to be high quality...but perhaps we can have some more information to alleviate my worries? When I buy electronics I hope they'll last for 20+ years, and the upcoming Chane subs will be with me ~forever. So, are BASH amps less reliable than Class D?
                          Frankly, we don't know either. Bear in mind that these units are just our cabs on pre-existing engineering and parts - they're not strictly Chane until our own derivative products follow...at appreciably higher cost and with leading tech. The original Sn*lls are very good, but at these ultra-low blow-out prices, they'll ship with a six month warranty.

That said, the heft and quality of these units is obvious: They use very heavy duty SB Acoustics woofers in a very well designed system. They sound fantastic. Even the smallest is nearly fifty pounds and includes a heavy perimeter braced damped MDF cabinet in black paint, which in a sub-$300 subwoofer is simply unheard of.

But they're not Chanes just yet. Our derivatives up the ante with top shelf tech. Cost at least doubles but the warranty is many times longer too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post
                            Frankly, we don't know either. Bear in mind that these units are just our cabs on pre-existing engineering and parts - they're not strictly Chane until our own derivative products follow...at appreciably higher cost and with leading tech. The original Sn*lls are very good, but at these ultra-low blow-out prices, they'll ship with a six month warranty.

That said, the heft and quality of these units is obvious: They use very heavy duty SB Acoustics woofers in a very well designed system. They sound fantastic. Even the smallest is nearly fifty pounds and includes a heavy perimeter braced damped MDF cabinet in black paint, which in a sub-$300 subwoofer is simply unheard of.

But they're not Chanes just yet. Our derivatives up the ante with top shelf tech. Cost at least doubles but the warranty is many times longer too.
                            OK, sounds reasonable. For the early killer prices we're looking at <somewhat> higher risk, but at least the tech seems solid and it's based on a very good, classic design. So it's up to us to decide if we're willing to take that higher risk, but in so doing we can score something great at prices which will never be seen again.

If the BASH amp(s) were to cause problems down the road, is that the sort of thing that could be purchased somewhere separately and switched out by the user? How "unique" are these amps?

I guess the only remaining question is this: when the Sn*ll-based subs debut (hopefully with full specs and killer prices), will you also be able to provide somewhat-more-concrete details about upcoming Chane sub designs, such that we can better weigh diving in now vs. waiting for something even better (and more costly) in the future?

Sorry for all the hand-holding, but, well, you know me and my budget issues!

Comment

For the early killer prices we're looking at <somewhat> higher risk, but at least the tech seems solid and it's based on a very good, classic design. So it's up to us to decide if we're willing to take that higher risk, but in so doing we can score something great at prices which will never be seen again.
                              While we have no reason to doubt these electronics, that's a solid perspective. This is a one-shot offer for some genuinely heavy duty 10" powered subs for peanuts.

Originally posted by jwskud View Post
                              If the BASH amp(s) were to cause problems down the road, is that the sort of thing that could be purchased somewhere separately and switched out by the user? How "unique" are these amps?
                              Not as a complete unit, but as a fairly standard technology, they could be repaired. In other words, if a cap were to fail, replacing the whole set of on-board caps is probably a $20 proposition and a couple of hours effort.

Originally posted by jwskud View Post
                              I guess the only remaining question is this: when the Sn*ll-based subs debut (hopefully with full specs and killer prices), will you also be able to provide somewhat-more-concrete details about upcoming Chane sub designs, such that we can better weigh diving in now vs. waiting for something even better (and more costly) in the future?
                              All that definitely will come out as this project goes forward. The current site - which is temporary - can easily add and subtract option check boxes from a single product page, and the new site will probably feature these subs in a new channel, one we're setting up to vend other unique, one-time opportunities along side these.

The point being that the project will update and change as time passes.

PS: You've prompted an interesting idea.

We'll have some small lots of subs with different options than the three or four mentioned upthread. In the interest of broadening the market for them while potentially adding features, performance, or both, let me propose that readers research the generous selection of sub plate amps at Parts Express and then start a poll in this forum. In other words, if we limit the choices to those below 500 watts and not larger than 12" on any one side, what jumps out as the better plate amp choice? A successful choice would probably add DSP to one or more of our cubes.

Folks might want to look into this and start another conversation about what works best. That conversation could be polled and when we finish every permutation of these 14" and 15" cubes, we could offer another option or two. These options will raise prices, but they could be good values nonetheless.

Comment

• Quick end of week update - sorry to be late; I had some other things to deal with elsewhere.

The 190w sub goes to final packing starting tomorrow.

We tested every component and then we power test every sub before singing them off. As powerful as a strong 10" can be in about a reflex system in about a cubic foot of air, every last fissure and screw hole must be checked and airtight, and of course every final product has to be visually perfect. These are good-looking subs for a paltry $200, and although the back panel is very utilitarian-looking and the grille is heavy duty-looking, we expect them to arrive in perfect shape, just like they left.

Each one packs in two cartons with cushioning material between. Each sub is bagged inside the inner box.

We're also well into finishing the next larger models in the 15" cube. Same process, same testing and inspecting, and the same packaging.

Will update you more as we check off the lists...

Comment

Working...
                                X