This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kabin View Post

You have a very friendly room with no significant nulls whether Audyssey was on or off. Is that one sweep at the main listening position, no freq response filtering?
    Single sweep at MLP, but I used psychoacoustic smoothing in REW which does hide some irregularities.

EDIT:
    Turning off smoothing does reveal a big crater in the 90-100 Hz area which Audyssey is not addressing either, so yeah, my room is far from perfect. :)

Last edited by e-2-m; 09-14-2020, 08:59 AM.

Comment

• Room responses can be daunting. Audyssey optimizes speaker gain not so much with room characteristics. Checking nulls and 1/4 wavelengths there might be a flat surface reflection around 3.2ft from the sub and a more complex distributed reflection surface 4.4ft from the subwoofer. Once I calculate the distances I usually take a tape measure to map out possible surface candidates and then ponder what to do next.
      Last edited by kabin; 09-14-2020, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by e-2-m View Post
        Yeah, unlikely because barriers to entry are quite high. I suppose Amazon is getting close - they've got the resources and network to pull it off, and they'll be their own biggest customer.
        That creates its own problems unfortunately; does anyone really want Amazon to get their fingers into another industry? DHL is the only potential competition it seems, but they aren't really competition at all because their US domestic service is very small and limited. As you mention, cost of entry is extremely high so the takers will be few and far between. Hopefully someone steps up though, the duopoly's performance has been so bad for years now that it almost feels like we're approaching a tipping point.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

Comment

• Originally posted by theJman View Post
          That creates its own problems unfortunately; does anyone really want Amazon to get their fingers into another industry?
          That reminds me. Folks, with all deference, we're not Amazon. We don't charge a monthly membership and we don't liquidate hundreds of pallets of returns and calculate their costs back in. This means we can't give you what an enormous multinational can. No curbside ins and outs. No endless coverages. No I changed my mind come pick it up.

We offer warranty, and for special projects like this one, returns with a restocking fee. We're not the zillion dollar shipping company that "delivered" your product either, sometimes apparently without even slowing down..

If you need service for any reason, let us know. But please realize that we can't match all the trimmings you get with full-margined product from MegaCorp. And we're not the delivery van we hired together, with Chane paying half your original shipping costs.

This project - of which there will be more - is a special deal and situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by kabin View Post
            Fedex might be building up a bad reputation online. I saw youtube video from a few days ago of a stereo system component unpacking and the customer had the same complaint. Maybe the employees are revolting for finally having to work weekends.
            FedEx just delivered my new bathroom vanity (that I had custom ordered) and the whole marble top is destroyed.

I strongly believe the packaging isn't the problem here with the TAI subs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vader540is View Post

FedEx just delivered my new bathroom vanity (that I had custom ordered) and the whole marble top is destroyed.

I strongly believe the packaging isn't the problem here with the TAI subs.
              Good data point.

From an absolute perspective, packaging can always be "improved". I actually bought a pelican case for a piece of high end gear that I recently sold (I had planned on keeping it). Foolproof. Also cost me $320 FOR THE CASE. But a company can't expect to do that and still sell a product like these subs.

No disrespect to every other competitor under $500 (except RSL; love them), but take a peekie inside the 300 or 550 and you'll see a driver that is vastly more expensive and beefier than anything SVS, Klipsch, PA, or BIC has sold. It looks like a Dayton Ultimax with a wider and shorter motor (due to the shorter VC). So, as Jon has said, FedEx has bought about a dozen of these things from him despite improved packaging, internal Notation of fragile items within their system, and fragile labels on six sides.

It sucks.

One of my 300's got damaged in shipping as well. The other was pristine. Arrived in the same day. The damaged box was thoroughly bumped and bruised. With one smashed corner not being 4" from a bright red "FRAGILE!" sticker. Jon set me right as he has all of you.

But it's just so disappointing. I've actually transitioned to shipping all my personal stuff via UPS. Not because they are perfect, but because they can read the word 'fragile' and understand it's not some kind of special Italian lamp (TELL ME THAT MOVIE). For whatever reason. UPS ranges between 5% and 8% more expensive for me to ship things. But it's worth EVERY PENNY.

Comment

• Quick note - and breaking my own rule about new product info before its time. This is in case you may have missed the 300 or 550.

At some point in the next ~3 months we want to drop a couple hundred powered 12" bass reflex subwoofers in really nice hardwood veneer over bentwood sides. Palisander or maple. Quite nice to look at, and very good quality. I think we've just about sourced the woofers, leaving only the amplifiers. Probably about a 300 watter.

A very nice furniture piece, considerably larger than the tens we've done in this thread. The usual disclaimers about price, dates, and whatnot apply.

Comment

• Originally posted by jwskud View Post
                  I've placed an order for the $9 Apple DAC. I'm curious to see if there's a big impact for the TAI-300 and X3s. Will report back.
                  I've just installed the Apple USB-C to 3.5 mm DAC and the impact was immediate. I've been reading on the DAC inside my Lenovo work laptop and it gets terrible reviews for audio quality; it always sounded "ok" to me. But with the new Apple dongle (which is a tiny little thing), I'm getting a huge improvement in dynamics and SQ (to the HiVi X3s) and bass output on the TAI-300. Definitely worth the $9. Thanks much to wkrpic and e-2-m for the suggestion!!

Next up, I need to save a few more dollars and get some cables and try out the high-pass filter built into the TAI-300 low-level outputs (as per e-2-m's suggestion). That would be the final improvement before I write up a full analysis/review of the TAI-300.

By the way, the TAI-300 is refined and tight and clean, yet still delivers impact when called upon. I need to screen more Netflix/movies, but with music I can already say it's on-par with the SQ improvement I got with the Chane A-series speakers when moving away from HTiB Kenwood speakers (in my main system), which is high praise indeed.

My home office audio has improved 100-fold since installing the Swan HiVi X3s, TAI-300, and Apple DAC. One more improvement to go, and I'm calling it a day.

Comment

• Received my dual 550s about a week and half ago but have not had time to properly evaluate. I did take one and plug it into the sub out on my sound bar. Was a bit wooly at first, but after a bit of play time and lowering the xover it sounds quite nice in this low tech setting....

very happy already and still have another in the garage. Have To source some feet but this is clearly a high value product

Comment

• need help. received replacement sub yesterday, First one one of the corners was damaged. The 2nd one I plugged in tonight & no response.. seems dead on arrival. Is there a trick to knowing whether the subwoofer is on or not? Tried 1st Sub and same result.. Is there a light or something to alert you sub is activated and live?? please help! and yes I turned the power button on at bottom of sub on both subs... I must be missing something

Comment

• Originally posted by yanks1 View Post
                        need help. received replacement sub yesterday, First one one of the corners was damaged. The 2nd one I plugged in tonight & no response.. seems dead on arrival. Is there a trick to knowing whether the subwoofer is on or not? Tried 1st Sub and same result.. Is there a light or something to alert you sub is activated and live?? please help! and yes I turned the power button on at bottom of sub on both subs... I must be missing something
                        Try messing about with the power cord connection. On my 300, it's fairly snug, but on 550s it was quite loose. I had to angle the cord down a bit to get the green/red light on the back of the sub.

If the amp is receiving power, it should light up.

Just in case, check the outlet on your wall, as well. I suppose a breaker might have tripped? Or just try a second outlet.

Comment

• Third time, guys; email or phone for service.

Originally posted by jwskud View Post
                          Try messing about with the power cord connection. ... If the amp is receiving power, it should light up.
                          It could be the power cable. Every speaker is tested at the component and the product level so start with the basics. We've seen three cables out of spec per hundred and its an easy fix.

But get in touch directly because we've seen every possible hiccup when virtually nobody out here has. You can speak to the production lead if you like. We want it right, obviously.

Comment

• Originally posted by jwskud View Post
                            Try messing about with the power cord connection. On my 300, it's fairly snug, but on 550s it was quite loose. I had to angle the cord down a bit to get the green/red light on the back of the sub.
                            Is the green/red light only present on the 550? My 300 does not have any lights on the back.

Comment

• Guys, thx for responses.. The 300 has no light on back that I can see. And yes the Electrical Outlet is good, I unplugged my RSL Speedwoofer which lights up & simply plugged the Chane sub in. Even tried the RSL plug and no luck. I will call Jon this morning, also which input in back is used for the single LFE cable from my Receiver?? I connected sub cable to the line level right input

Comment

• For TAI sub operating manuals, follow this link.

Comment

Working...
                                X