This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jwskud View Post
    So a setting of -12 dB isn't the end of the world. In fact, it might be just right.
    It could be the end of the world if the actual comp. should be much lower than -12 dB but the receiver just isn't able to set a comp. lower than that because it's out of its comp. range. Maybe it needs to be at -15dB or -20dB or -25dB? Without knowing it, he may be severely overdriving the sub.

Comment

• Originally posted by e-2-m View Post
      It could be the end of the world if the actual comp. should be much lower than -12 dB but the receiver just isn't able to set a comp. lower than that because it's out of its comp. range. Maybe it needs to be at -15dB or -20dB or -25dB? Without knowing it, he may be severely overdriving the sub.
      That's true, but do you think a 10", 300 watt sub should be driving it that high? Either the TAI-300 is an absolute beast (it just might be!) or he's close.

I'm wondering about proximity of the closest sub to the MLP, as well. Near-field? It sounds like he's getting massive output wherever he's placing the Audyssey mic...

Comment

That's true, but do you think a 10", 300 watt sub should be driving it that high? Either the TAI-300 is an absolute beast (it just might be!) or he's close.

I'm wondering about proximity of the closest sub to the MLP, as well. Near-field? It sounds like he's getting massive output wherever he's placing the Audyssey mic...
        Almost 12 feet from the subs to the MLP.

I currently have the subs next to the front channels. As in L tower - sub - center - sub - R tower. I initially hooked up just one sub and had it in the one position on the left. I also stuck it in the front left corner, which increased the bass (but, at least to my untrained ears, it wasn't boomy/bad). I then stuck the sub in the MLP and did a sub crawl. Both front corners of the room increased the volume of the bass. The other area I was thinking of putting one of the subs (next to the couch on the side wall) was utter crap based on the sub crawl. The bass was much quieter in that position/didn't sound as good. And while the corners were louder, it wasn't like I was struggling to get the volume up, so I put them in the current position (wife also prefers them there). It was also the first time I've done a sub crawl. I was using a recording of Taiko drums, but I have no idea if that is ideal. You can definitely tell when the subs are on. But they are not up so high they are shaking the room or anything (the room is probably 15'x15', but then one side wall is completely open to the rest of the floor, which contains dining and kitchen, so I'm not really expecting shake the room levels, nor do I really want it (at least most of the time). I have a hunch I could get some room shaking if I turned it up louder, but I usually don't listen to music really loud and don't want to disturb others in the house.

Comment

• Just received my first of two 550s. To say the packaging is insufficient for travel would be an understatement.

I knew I was in for some disappointment when I opened the box. I didn’t think it would be this bad though.

ive already emailed Jon. Just awaiting a reply.

Comment

• Originally posted by haulin oats View Post
            Just received my first of two 550s. To say the packaging is insufficient for travel would be an understatement.

I knew I was in for some disappointment when I opened the box. I didn’t think it would be this bad though.

ive already emailed Jon. Just awaiting a reply.
            Looks like you had a similar experience to mine. Took delivery of one sub earlier this week and had the same feeling upon opening the box. Emailed Jon about it Tuesday and we are still trying to set up a return. Meanwhile I got my second sub today in worse condition than the first. I sincerely hope you will have some better luck than me.

Comment

• Originally posted by haulin oats View Post
              Just received my first of two 550s. To say the packaging is insufficient for travel would be an understatement.
              That's pretty terrible. But work with Jon and he'll get you squared away.

I've received 3 subs to date. Only one had superficial cabinet damage (on the bottom/back). Others have really suffered at the hands of FedEx, however. Yours looks like it was literally thrown at some point...

Comment

• Ouch! That is painful to look at.

Considering how litely these subs are packed, i am surprised mine made it in one piece, but it did not have to travel far in my case. Most of the little styrofoam corners were busted though.

Comment

• Folks, again, we don't do service in the forum. I understand it's frustrating when a shipper throws* your product, but in cases like this we can't do anything but claim their abuse and replace the shipment.

Our packaging is up to par - a 109# subwoofer product we know of from sharing some production and logistical basis is shipped in less robust material, and ours also draws on literally thousands of A models shipped over ten years.

Some FedEx routes are just ruthless on merchandise, or apparently on merchandise like this. We've had two cases of consecutive heave-it-on-the-porch abuse to the same customer. We clearly mark everything fragile on all six sides, we provide lifting straps, we use 275# cartons, and still for half a dozen units, they actually hit it hard on a corner enough to crack the case. Neither of us have seen anything like it.

Not helping is that in this case the product was rehandled into Canada from the border.

Get in touch offline.

*Just this week the plant manager actually saw a driver throw a 50# box clear out of the back of a delivery van and onto pavement outside the plant. That's a three foot drop. How this is the result of good driver service training is beyond us.

Comment

I have to keep the gain at < 45% and further utilize computer-based EQ to cut bass output, or else it would overwhelm me and the X3s. An example of my EQ:

Click image for larger version

Name:	EQ example.png
Views:	240
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	116139
                    If that's your idea of cut I'd hate to see boost. :)

Sounds like it's working quite well for you. Glad to hear it, seems like the subs have proven to be a solid value.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

Comment

• Originally posted by theJman View Post
                      If that's your idea of cut I'd hate to see boost. :)
                      They default to much higher...if I run without EQ, I get a marked increase in output.

I actually use no EQ when watching Netflix on the computer, but cutting the 64 and 125 Hz levels is absolutely necessary with music, especially the bass-heavy stuff I've been auditioning!

Comment

• A few weeks back I received a pallet delivery and the delivery folks still found a way to crush the box. Gotta wonder if or when they ever start being held accountable. I documented it on the signed slip but it was all for naught as my receipt had no carbon copy and the delivery driver said he would just cross it out as he didn't want to confuse his office administrators. For the price of their service they should be handling it with kid gloves.

Comment

• I hope everybody already knows this, but working with Chane and Jon Lane is a pleasure. Whereas many companies will give you the runaround when things turn problematic, Jon truly cares about his customers and only wants the best for them. All that he requires is that customers reach out to him and communicate their issues directly. He makes himself constantly available by email or by phone, so it's not taxing.

I've recently placed a sizable, multi-subwoofer order with Chane, and there was a problem with the initial shipment. It was rectified within 24 hours. I've since run into a different (more complex) issue, and Jon has been corresponding with me throughout, intent on working out a solution.

In both cases, Jon has taken it upon himself to fix the problems while also absorbing the extra costs (this is especially important to highlight here, because these subs were already being offered at incredibly low prices). He deserves to be recognized for these efforts.

I was already a big Chane fan before all this, but it's been further solidified. Incredible sound quality, incredible prices, and incredible customer service. Exceptional.

Final tally: one TAI-300 which I absolutely adore, and two new subwoofers to ship in the future once they're available for sale.

Comment

• Jon has been nothing but amazing since day 1 for me. I’m just so disappointed that there was so much damage on them. But I know this has nothing to do with Jon, or the product he has made.

Comment

• 6 subs and an amp from Chane over the last few years and still impressed with the product and the Chane team!
                              Last edited by kirk_mahoney; 09-12-2020, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• Thank you guys, that really means a lot. This little sub project has had some problems in places, but it has shown that a 300w powered sub in a 15" cube, for example, made the way we know the tech works best, is a highly successful acoustical solution. By now the TAI-300 has been compared to other models and it's come out very well, from the feedback we've seen. We thought it might.

In this respect this project gave us just what we wanted. Now we're looking at all options for a permanent model in this size and power class, priced affordably, because we think it'll rise right to the top of its market. We have everything we need to make it if we can settle on the right amplifier.

A Chane 10 will cost more - it has to. But unless we're missing something, a $400-$450 product that sounds and delivers like the 300 will work very well.

Thanks for being aboard and if we need to do anything for you, pls email or call. There are more of these blowouts coming, and in there somewhere should be a few permanent Chane models too.

Comment

Working...
                                X