Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 subwoofer thread [updated 1/20]

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • That's an interesting idea!
    I envy the shipping rate for the US. Pretty incredible.

    Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    grab four TAI-300’s and you add 12dB SPL broadband if you stack the pairs. Not a lot that can compete with that even for pure SPL/dollar. Sound quality not even being part of the equation.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post


      Can you elaborate what you mean there?
      I was imagining a flat or concave shape being more parabolic with possibly more directivity versus a dome/convex shape.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post
        I know a few folks are moderately concerned about output, but I wouldn’t be. The little TAI-190 rough cut prototype, that I tortured, really impressed.
        Worried about output? Nah, I just placed my order for dual 550s! Now I'm in the red by $175, which I'll have to reimburse (family budget) later this year, but it is too good a deal to pass up on, and this will make my Chane 5.2 system sound better than ever. I'm especially looking forward to cleaning up my musical sound quality.

        Other than a possible upgrade to the rear speakers, this should finalize the family room system.

        I'm not into loud listening (most of the time), but moving from a single 200 watt Klipsch to dual 550 watt TAIs should provide plenty of headroom! And the 550s dig deeper, too.

        Now it's time to relax until they arrive, and the real work begins...
        Last edited by jwskud; 07-29-2020, 08:46 AM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by theJman View Post
          Dual-roll surround, flat diaphragm and large amounts of venting? There's something you don't see every day.
          They're unusual. They aren't actually any electrically (thermally) larger than the aluminum-framed driver in the TAI-300 and -550, so we're paralleling two in the twin opposed subwoofer as we move higher in power.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by kabin View Post
            I was imagining a flat or concave shape being more parabolic with possibly more directivity versus a dome/convex shape.
            Got it. No, at such long wavelengths there's no change to acoustical power and distribution. All of these drivers are pure pistons working into 360 space. They're just air pumps.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by jwskud View Post
              I'm not into loud listening (most of the time), but moving from a single 200 watt Klipsch to dual 550 watt TAIs should provide plenty of headroom! And the 550s dig deeper, too.
              Good point - these being only 10" systems, headroom is probably most of the benefit as amp power rises.

              Comment


              • I swear this decision just keeps getting harder. Dual 190s, 300s, or one of the dual driver ones later down the line? I'm half tempted to go dual 190s (or grab one now and one later), but worried my room is just too big for that. On the flip side the sealed design of the dual driver intrigues me.
                Aarrgghhhh. I should just pick one. All will sound better than what I currently have. :)

                Comment


                • Originally posted by msweig View Post
                  I swear this decision just keeps getting harder. Dual 190s, 300s, or one of the dual driver ones later down the line? I'm half tempted to go dual 190s (or grab one now and one later), but worried my room is just too big for that. On the flip side the sealed design of the dual driver intrigues me.
                  Aarrgghhhh. I should just pick one. All will sound better than what I currently have. :)
                  These won’t be around for long. Not trying to create some false sense of urgency.

                  What’s your use case again?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post

                    These won’t be around for long. Not trying to create some false sense of urgency.

                    What’s your use case again?
                    Split of home theater and music. Music is pretty much everything other than country (with the two most common probably classical/soundtracks and more modern pop. Though other stuff gets sprinkled in there).
                    Room is probably 18x18x10, but the side wall is pretty much an open wall to twice that size (dining and kitchen). But I'm not expecting excellent music listening in the kitchen and dining area.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by msweig View Post

                      Split of home theater and music. Music is pretty much everything other than country (with the two most common probably classical/soundtracks and more modern pop. Though other stuff gets sprinkled in there).
                      Room is probably 18x18x10, but the side wall is pretty much an open wall to twice that size (dining and kitchen). But I'm not expecting excellent music listening in the kitchen and dining area.
                      I'm in the same boat and picked up a single 550

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by msweig View Post

                        Split of home theater and music. Music is pretty much everything other than country (with the two most common probably classical/soundtracks and more modern pop. Though other stuff gets sprinkled in there).
                        Room is probably 18x18x10, but the side wall is pretty much an open wall to twice that size (dining and kitchen). But I'm not expecting excellent music listening in the kitchen and dining area.
                        I would go duals. 190’s would fill that space. Dual 300’s would impress.

                        I think dual 190’s would outshine a single 300.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post

                          I would go duals. 190’s would fill that space. Dual 300’s would impress.

                          I think dual 190’s would outshine a single 300.
                          Awesome. Thanks! I was leaning towards the dual 300s so went with that. Gives me more flexibility in the future if needed.
                          Last edited by msweig; 07-29-2020, 01:14 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by msweig View Post
                            Awesome. Thanks! I was leaning towards the dual 300s so went with that. Gives me more flexibility in the future if needed.
                            Wise move, that way there's no potential of buyers remorse. Buy once, cry once...

                            If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

                            Comment


                            • Technical note:

                              long RCA runs for sub/LFE cables are a perfect use case for star-quad, shielded cable geometry. ‘World’s Best Cables’ on Amazon makes high quality Canare L-4e6s/Gotham GAC 4/1 / Mogami 2534 based RCAs with quality Amphenol connectors for very fair prices. Shielded star-quad cable stock, made in Switzerland (Gotham) or Japan (Mogami/Canare), with an asymmetrically terminated shield (which makes them directional to optimize nose rejection; no snake oil here).

                              Great way to keep background noise to a minimum. The additional capacitance per foot is a non issue for sub cables even with longer runs.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by msweig View Post

                                Awesome. Thanks! I was leaning towards the dual 300s so went with that. Gives me more flexibility in the future if needed.
                                That’s what I bought. Upgraded driver (and the one in the 190 is NO SLOUCH), Bigger amp, slightly larger box with a slightly lower f3. The 300’s went for over $800 each when they were being sold by Snell. I’m not defending that price point, but these will go toe-to-toe with ANYTHING near their current price point.

                                You won’t regret it.
                                Last edited by BufordTJustice; 07-29-2020, 01:45 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X