This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by msweig View Post

Ok Jon, I have a question on how to hook these up. Based on the back plate and what I know you connect a cable from the sub out on the receiver, to the low level in on the sub (and it is hard to read, but I think the two options are internal crossover and external crossover, so which one you choose depends on what you are doing). But I have also seen a photo of the back plate of the Basis 300, and that was significantly more complicated and I couldn't figure it out (left and right channels for low-level in, sub, and hi-pass out). Do the 300/550 and future dual driver have a similar setup to the 190 above, or are they more like the Basis 300 (and if so how do you connect them?)

Also, I'm still debating between two 300s or the future dual driver which is why you haven't received an order from me yet. I don't think the answer to this is going to help that decision, I'm just curious :)
    I think you can find details on this PDF on page 5 (looks like a similar amp):
    https://www.homecontrols.com/homecon...200_Manual.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by msweig View Post
      Ok Jon, I have a question on how to hook these up. Based on the back plate and what I know you connect a cable from the sub out on the receiver, to the low level in on the sub (and it is hard to read, but I think the two options are internal crossover and external crossover, so which one you choose depends on what you are doing). But I have also seen a photo of the back plate of the Basis 300, and that was significantly more complicated and I couldn't figure it out (left and right channels for low-level in, sub, and hi-pass out). Do the 300/550 and future dual driver have a similar setup to the 190 above, or are they more like the Basis 300 (and if so how do you connect them?)
      They're all the same as far as available inputs with the exception that the 190 has mono line connectors and the others have stereo connectors. I don't think too many users will use the speaker level inputs, so we can probably assume you'll connect the standard line level inputs, on RCA connectors, which are typically fed by the low frequency line out from a common AVR.

For 300 and 550, users can drive either channel input.

Setup is accomplished in the onboard line controls: Level, crossover, and phase. 300 and 550 have a selectable internal crossover defeat switch.

In all cases I recommend a standard 80Hz lowpass crossover setting, whether using the internal default circuit (all) or external (300 and 550 only). This is especially true for the 550 because of its equalization assumes such a crossover point.

Comment

• Ordered 2 550s. Just shipping to blaine, WA, and having a freight forwarder send them across the line.

Comment

• Ordered dual 300’s and I can’t even use them in my apartment. Steal of the century!!

Comment

• Do I order a 550 or wait for the 600 Watt Dual driver. Mainly for use in my master bedroom for casual TV watching and 2-channel music listening around -20db from reference.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vader540is View Post
              Do I order a 550 or wait for the 600 Watt Dual driver. Mainly for use in my master bedroom for casual TV watching and 2-channel music listening around -20db from reference.
              I'd go TAI-190...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

I'd go TAI-190...
                i was thinking the same...but im a bass head lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Vader540is View Post

i was thinking the same...but im a bass head lol
                  The 190 punches above its weight. I would do that. If you have any doubts about the 190, go 300 and don’t look back.

Comment

• Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post

The 190 punches above its weight. I would do that. If you have any doubts about the 190, go 300 and don’t look back.
                    good point

Comment

• Jon,

Questions for you. I may have misintepretted but thought earlier in this thread there was mentioned of only having 100 SB Acoustic drivers. I'm sure replacement drivers would be virtually equivalent in performance but still wonder if all TAI subs will be equipped with SB Acoustic drivers or just the first batch? If there are different driver manufacturers, is there a distinguishing mark on the driver so we know which is which?

Comment

• I haven't seen side by side driver comparisons but the TAI drivers appear to be more substantial compared to the competition (ie speedwoofer 10). What are the benefits of using a dome/dust cover? Any wave shaping happening there?

Comment

The trick to a pair of any of these models, if that's attractive to anyone, is that the net air volume and driver displacement both double. Given that we then add 6 full dB plus the second amplifier, even the 190 makes a lot of output. At $438 a pair plus another $24.95 shipping, it's an attractive option.

Comment

• Originally posted by kabin View Post
                            I thought earlier in this thread there was mentioned of only having 100 SB Acoustic drivers.
                            That's correct; of the flat type for the twin 600, I'll call it. Enough for 50 subwoofers.

Originally posted by kabin View Post
                            I'm sure replacement drivers would be virtually equivalent in performance but still wonder if all TAI subs will be equipped with SB Acoustic drivers or just the first batch?
                            Just the first batch.

If there are different driver manufacturers, is there a distinguishing mark on the driver so we know which is which?
                            I'm talking about the future, which I shouldn't, but to answer your question, there is. However we've haven't signed off on the amp-DSP for any of them so this is conditional.

The original driver for the twin 600 appears below, front and back. The replacement appears below it.

What are the benefits of using a dome/dust cover? Any wave shaping happening there?
                            Can you elaborate what you mean there?

Click image for larger version

Name:	flat 300.png
Views:	122
Size:	487.0 KB
ID:	115350

Name:	300 chassis.png
Views:	104
Size:	583.7 KB
ID:	115351

Name:	300 alum.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	115352

Comment

Ordered dual 300’s and I can’t even use them in my apartment. Steal of the century!!
                              Something tells me you'll use them to the fullest, despite being in an apartment now. ;)

Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	flat 300.png Views:	2 Size:	487.0 KB ID:	115350
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	300 chassis.png Views:	2 Size:	583.7 KB ID:	115351
                              Dual-roll surround, flat diaphragm and large amounts of venting? There's something you don't see every day.

Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post
                              This twin 600-watter is the smallest of a potential class of sophisticated bass products.
                              Smallest? That suggests something larger is in the offing, and you know I'm paying attention to that.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

Comment

• I know a few folks are moderately concerned about output, but I wouldn’t be. The little TAI-190 rough cut prototype, that I tortured, really impressed.

These compete in terms of SQ with REL, SVS SB Series, etc. Example: grab four TAI-300’s and you add 12dB SPL broadband if you stack the pairs. Not a lot that can compete with that even for pure SPL/dollar. Sound quality not even being part of the equation.

Comment

Working...
                                X