Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a newbie here and planning to pick up some Chane A series speakers for my home theater. I'm intrigued by these 10" subwoofers that are coming out any day now. If I was to get 2 of the 10" 190w units (assuming I can get them ordered before they sell out) I would place them to either side of my TV stand most likely. But if I picked up one of the subs with the dual opposed 10" woofers, where would be the best place for that? Directly under the TV or off to the side? Someplace else entirely? Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by ConnMan View Post
      I'm a newbie here and planning to pick up some Chane A series speakers for my home theater. I'm intrigued by these 10" subwoofers that are coming out any day now. If I was to get 2 of the 10" 190w units (assuming I can get them ordered before they sell out) I would place them to either side of my TV stand most likely. But if I picked up one of the subs with the dual opposed 10" woofers, where would be the best place for that? Directly under the TV or off to the side? Someplace else entirely? Thanks!
      There's no way of knowing what would be an ideal subwoofer location, as it is dictated by the room size, furnishings, etc. The simple way around this is to take your sub and place it at the main listening position (MLP), play bass-heavy and constant content, and then crawl around the room and listen for the best response. Of course, that's a poor man's method and will NOT detect nulls.

The next level is to use a cell phone and play REW sweeps through your AVR; you crawl around with the cell phone, measuring outputs using an app like Spectroid. See this video for details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giG7mQ0QJdM. Your success will depend on the frequency response of your phone's microphone. Mine drops off under ~45 Hz, so not very useful!

You could use room calculator software, but that has other issues.

The ultimate way to find an ideal sub(s) location, and the only real way to optimize dual subs, is to get Room Equalizer Wizard (REW, a free download), a UMIK-1 microphone (calibrated to < 20 Hz, ~$110 from Cross-Spectrum Labs, or cheaper via miniDSP), and use sweeps to take measurements. You optimize location of one sub, then find a location for the second that combats the nulls (dips) in frequency response of the first. This is a long and sometimes difficult process. I've only just purchased the items to do this myself, as I am planning to go dual Chane subs. There are a series of videos that walk you through the process (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A6gPCczhuU) and it looks daunting if, like me, you've never done it before.

I should add: getting the measurements with REW/UMIK-1 is only one part of the battle. The ultimate solution is to get a miniDSP 2x4HD (~$205), which will then allow you to optimize frequency responses at several locations.

All of this costs time and money and it's a huge pain in the ASS! But I've read enough on AVS Forum to know that going to dual subs without using these tools is throwing money away. The latter method is the only way to visualize the frequency response and tailor it/fix it. You can get two massive 18" subs and place them non-optimally, and your bass output will lag behind dual 10"ers placed properly.

The short answer is this: follow the Harman study (https://www.harman.com/documents/multsubs_0.pdf) and place according to their results. Corners give bigger output but can sound boomy. 1/3 up walls seems ideal.

The shorter answer is this: put the subs where they look nice and are out of the way and where you can easily hook them up with cables. And don't think about what you may be missing too much!

Same rules apply with dual-opposed subwoofer(s).

I've had a 12" Klipsch sub in my giant room (2300 cubic feet, open to 2600 cubic feet of kitchen) for a few years, which I placed using the sub crawl method. Output is powerful (max output is 116 dB, so it's no slouch!), but bass isn't tight and for music it sounds slow. Regardless, upgrading from an 8" HTiB subwoofer, it was a huge step up, especially for home theater purposes. So if that's enough to satisfy, go that route. If you really want to maximize return-on-investment and get the best sound from your subs, it will take more effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by ConnMan View Post
        I'm a newbie here and planning to pick up some Chane A series speakers for my home theater. I'm intrigued by these 10" subwoofers that are coming out any day now. If I was to get 2 of the 10" 190w units (assuming I can get them ordered before they sell out) I would place them to either side of my TV stand most likely. But if I picked up one of the subs with the dual opposed 10" woofers, where would be the best place for that? Directly under the TV or off to the side? Someplace else entirely? Thanks!
        As always jwskud offers great detailed info!
        You can also check this:
        https://forum.chanemusiccinema.com/f...gration-basics

Comment

• Originally posted by wkrpic View Post
          As always jwskud offers great detailed info!
          He certainly does. Give the man a like.

Comment

• Quick weekend update. We are still in an any-day-now mode, folks. The last step in all this is the outer carton and inter-carton packing. Once that's settled we'll offer these subs to the Chane public.

1. We'll link this thread and Twitter to the product page on the main site.
            2. A newsletter will email.
            3. We'll vend the first product, which is the 14" cube with the 190w amplifier, called TAI-190.
            4. To keep it simple, second and third products - 300 and 550w respectively - will appear as options to the TAI-190 on the same page.
            5. Any products beyond the first three will appear in new product pages.

At each step we'll update this thread, Twitter, and our newsletter subscribers.

Comment

• General topic update: For newcomers, Chane is about to vend a 10" powered sub based on a high performance product series designed by a top designer and once offered by a former high end American brand.

There are three basic versions: 190w in a 14" cube; 300w in a 15" cube, and 550w in a 15" cube. The first model uses a beefy 10" in a steel frame and the second two use an even heavier 10" in a cast aluminum frame.

Each is a high quality original acoustical system in a Chane satin black painted 14" or 15" cube. Quality and sound-wise each exceed the market at their respective price points. They will not be repeated once they sell through.

These black box versions of premium dealer subwoofers are Chane's tribute to our customers. We appreciate you and wanted to offer a true deal on a high quality active subwoofer.

Commenter jwskud posted this a few pages back. This is great resource for readers.

Snell Basis 150 (manual and specs). Click HERE.

Snell Basis 300 (spec sheet). Click HERE.
              Also, here's a review that includes the Basis 300. Click HERE.

I've also found the manual/specs for the Snell Basis 550. Click HERE.

Note that our version of the 550w sub is a powered-up 300w sub cube and driver. It is not a twin-driver speaker like the original.

If your plans call for a musical, heavy, dynamic 10" powered subwoofer for a lot less than the market for comparable quality, this is it. Each one is assembled in the US, tested at full power, and packed in double cartons. They'll ship via FedEx.

Once we publish prices you can research what's available for the same figure online and compare weight and build quality.

Comment

• Naturally my follow-up question has to be .... "How low can they go? I said how low can they go? Can they go down low?" 🎢🎢 lol
                ​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post
                  General topic update: For newcomers, Chane is about to vend a 10" powered sub based on a high performance product series designed by a top designer and once offered by a former high end American brand.
                  I wouldn't know anything about this. I mean, it's not like I click on the Twitter feed or this website every 20 minutes of every day...no, nothing like that at all!

I'm looking very much forward to this release! But everybody else should just look elsewhere and give me plenty of time to review the specs and prices and my options. I should be done reviewing and ready to make a decision within a week, tops. ha

Comment

• Originally posted by jwskud View Post
                    I wouldn't know anything about this. I mean, it's not like I click on the Twitter feed or this website every 20 minutes of every day...no, nothing like that at all!

I'm looking very much forward to this release! But everybody else should just look elsewhere and give me plenty of time to review the specs and prices and my options. I should be done reviewing and ready to make a decision within a week, tops. ha
                    I'll be making my decision within 5 mins of reading the final spec sheet ☺️ Ah! I can't imagine waiting a week! I'm most curious on the range we're looking at and if it's equivalent to the Snell Spec sheets posted. Ideally I'd like to touch 20 hz.

Comment

• 190 watt driver:

Click image for larger version

Name:	190.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	115006

300/550w driver:

Name:	300 driver.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	115005

Comment

• Originally posted by BudgetMike View Post
                        I'm most curious on the range we're looking at and if it's equivalent to the Snell Spec sheets posted.
                        Acoustically, we duplicated the originals as much as possible.

Comment

190 watt driver:

Name:	190.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	115006

300/550w driver:

Name:	300 driver.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	115005
                          At least provide us with napkins before making us drool! 🀀

Comment

Acoustically, we duplicated the originals as much as possible.
                            I guess my next biggest question would be the difference between the 550w being a single driver vs the dual driver spec sheet from Snell. Which now has me intrigued in the possibility of running two single 550's in my home theater.

Comment

I'll be making my decision within 5 mins of reading the final spec sheet ☺️ Ah! I can't imagine waiting a week! I'm most curious on the range we're looking at and if it's equivalent to the Snell Spec sheets posted. Ideally I'd like to touch 20 hz.
                              I'm guessing the 300 watt version will still have an F3 of 26 Hz, like the original, unless Jon was able to tune 1-2 Hz more out of it. But I'm curious if the 550 will have an advantage here, or simply greater dB output. Either way, if you've got an F6 of 23 Hz, with room gain you should get appreciable output at 20 Hz. When people post REW graphs on AVS Forum, I'm constantly amazed at how much room gain most people get, generally pushing the F3 south by about 3-10 Hz!

Jon also said that the 550 will conservatively hit 92 dB at 20 Hz (no room gain), which is pretty great (and on-par with the best a 10" subwoofer can offer; compare to the RSL Speedwoofer 10s, with 92 dB at 20 Hz, or the Monolith 10, with 102 dB at 20 Hz, but a lot more expensive!). I don't usually listen that loud (70-75 dB), so I should be in good shape, and I expect any of these subs will blow away my Klipsch R120SW when it comes to music.

Comment

I guess my next biggest question would be the difference between the 550w being a single driver vs the dual driver spec sheet from Snell. Which now has me intrigued in the possibility of running two single 550's in my home theater.
                                Exactly. I assume if you were to stack the Chane 550s, you'd get really close to the 106 dB in your room (and an F6 of 20 Hz) that the Snell 550 offered.

I'm definitely going duals, but probably won't stack, as I hope to position the 2 subs to even out room response, as I don't need the extra output.

Comment

Working...
                                X