Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four more sealed or change to vented?

Hello Everyone,
    I currently own Two SS18.2's powered by a MQ-600. I really like the subs. They are very musical and have very "tight" bass. I used to own multiple vented subs (not CHT or Chane) and although the bass was loud, they did not sound good playing music. They were much "boomier" than these sealed subs . Even with movies, they did not sound very accurate but they sure were LOUD!
    My current subs can get loud/very loud at times and during certain Bass scenes in movies it can be quite startling.

When funds allow (hopefully very soon), I plan on purchasing Four SBE-118's and another MQ-600. Doing research,
    I think I am appx 75% where I want to be with my current subs and I think these additional subs will get me to at least 95% (that is my hope).

Reading posts about the tremendous output of the Vented Subs, I'm now second guessing myself on what I need to do. Would I be better served in selling my SS18.2's (the best looking subs I have ever seen) and purchasing another MQ-600 and 4 of the VBE-118's?

I do not want to give up the sealed sound that I LOVE but what if these additional subs don't get me the spine tingling bass that I'm after?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Blessings,Brian

You've heard that the vented subs will give you typically a 6 dB boost at tuning and drop off more quickly below that than the sealed. Then, they should be equal about an octave (~34 Hz) above tuning. Wait for Josh's test to bear this out specificly. But comparing 4 drivers to two, where you'll gain that 6dB back at tuning, so now equal there, and up to 6 dB everywhere else - the 4 drivers make more sense.
    I'd add that the VBE-118 is not boomy, when I heard it at Craig's from the master's chair in his HT!

Comment

Thanks for the advice sbdman!
      I just watched "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" again, and was reminded just how good these subs sound.
      The bass was so much more realistic than the ported subs I used to own. Nice, Tight and Loud!
      Cannot wait to order 4 more, and another amp to "complete" my system!

Thanks Again.
      Blessings,Brian

Comment

I had dual sealed Chase CS-18.1 subs and was going to get two more, plus another Dayton SA1000 and a MiniDSP. But space is tight, and that is a lot of added gear, plus cost.

So, I sold my subs to my brother, who powers them with a behemoth Hafler XL600 bridged mono, with a MiniDSP boosting the bottom. He loves them as I did.

I bought two VS-18.1 subs. The larger enclosure and slot add a serious amount of bottom octave, and I didn't have to buy more power or signal processing. I gave up a little articulation for that convenience. But there is nothing "boomy" about them, and the two vented do the same bottom octave work of four sealed subs. This was for a two channel system with no signal processing available. If you are using an AVR with room processing, Glock3540, the MiniDSP might not be necessary for sealeds.

If you can accommodate the added expense and work of the sealed, that is the way to go, especially for music. If you just want killer deep bass for home theater, I recommend the vented.

Comment

Hello Everyone,
          As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I still plan to purchase 4 SBE-118's and a 3600 amp (hopefully the end of
          this month!).

Why so little activity on this forum? I would think with the value Chane products have, there would be
          daily activity or at least once a week?

Blessings,
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Glock3540 View Post
            Hello Everyone,
            As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I still plan to purchase 4 SBE-118's and a 3600 amp (hopefully the end of
            this month!).

Why so little activity on this forum? I would think with the value Chane products have, there would be
            daily activity or at least once a week?

Blessings,
            Brian
            Most of us talk about chane products on other forums, like avsforums.com and hometheatershack.com. Feel free to join us over there :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by kaiforce View Post
              Most of us talk about chane products on other forums, like avsforums.com and hometheatershack.com. Feel free to join us over there :cool:
              Thanks kaiforce! Will Do!

BTW; I Still Love My 18.2's...

Comment

I would not advice anyone to go to AVSforum to talk about any product from Craig Chase. The official Chane subwoofer owners thread is rife with a group of members that would make every argument they can fabricate against the products. Craig was banned long ago for once answering a question that was turned to the moderators as trying to advertise a product. So, these guys have become experts at attacking anyone that owns or is looking to own his products with little chance of being corrected.

Somehow the VS-18.1 being one of the highest performing id offerings rated by Data-Bass.com at a very affordable price is never mentioned over there. HomeTheaterShack is a much friendlier place, but, there too, the subwoofers haven't been mentioned much.

I too, am very much interested in the SBM and VBM reviews, but, its just been so long now without a word. It's frustrating, I agree. This should turn around when the results are posted.

And, yes, I fully mirror your statement, I love my 18.2's, too!

Comment

I frequented the subs forums for years over at AVS. Got sick of all the BS so I stopped hanging out there quite some time ago, like so many others. :mad:

I only go to AVS now for the front page news section to see what's new, and also for Ralph Potts Blu Ray reviews.

Every once in awhile I do check out some of the other forums but just not the subs forums anymore.

Comment

I visit AVS for theater construction ideas and for my own amusement regarding subwoofer performance. At the end of the day, the numbers don't lie!

Comment

Working...
                    X