Sub options for new space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub options for new space

I realize there may be some bias being the chane forum and all, but I will ask anyway. I currently have a JTR s1 subwoofer. My current space is about 6k cubic feet. This sub is really nice but due to the fact that I have no placement options except against the side wall and the space is so large, the sub does not have much punch. I am building a new house and will have a similar sized space with more placement options. I feel that with my current space I should have went ported at minimum with muiples being ideal. I am looking for tactile feel and a response that will hit you in the chest. I would also like to dig deep but not sure how possible with such a big space. I have arx a5 fronts and a2 center with some ebenlee surrounds. I am thinking 1 of these 3 options:

1. 2x jtr passive ported caps powered by an inuke or similar
    2. 4x vbe118s with an mq600
    3. 4x sbe118s with an mq600

opinions??

Kdubb - We are currently running two SBE-118's from one channel of an MQ-600 in a 4500 cubic foot room. While our vented subs have more output in that "20 Hz" range, the sealed versions are just plain magic. The typical linear in room response of the sealed subs just plain sounds awesome.

Four SBE-118's and an MQ-600, for $2300 plus shipping, will definitely give you all the punch you are seeking.

Comment

Originally posted by craigsub View Post
      Kdubb - We are currently running two SBE-118's from one channel of an MQ-600 in a 4500 cubic foot room. While our vented subs have more output in that "20 Hz" range, the sealed versions are just plain magic. The typical linear in room response of the sealed subs just plain sounds awesome.

Four SBE-118's and an MQ-600, for $2300 plus shipping, will definitely give you all the punch you are seeking.

Thanks is for the info.

Comment

Kdubb ... Josh Ricci should be finishing up his test on a single SBE-118 in the next week or two. When the numbers are published, you can take his numbers and add 12 dB to them. We can have a better discussion regarding this when the numbers come out. :)

Comment

Kdubb ... Josh Ricci should be finishing up his test on a single SBE-118 in the next week or two. When the numbers are published, you can take his numbers and add 12 dB to them. We can have a better discussion regarding this when the numbers come out. :)
          Looking forward to it because I am honestly leaning towards ported for this size of room based off my experience with my single JTR s1. Can't wait to see the results!

Comment

Kdubb - The vented is also being tested by Josh - so you will definitely have options. The vented cabinets will be more $$$$, but still under $3000 plus shipping for a quadpack with the MQ-600. I think people will be pretty surprised at just how much SPL the quad pack of Vented subs is - as I type this, this exact set was just shipped to a customer yesterday.

Comment

Cool sounds fun. What would you say usable extension would be on the vented? Could you get away with no filter with 4?

Comment

I have a quad pack of the VS18.1's with an MQ600.

My HT area's almost twice as big as yours, close to around 11,000 cubic feet. Basically a great room with the kitchen, dining room and a couple of hallways.

I ran my 4 without a filter for the last year or so. I've never bottomed em out. But I desired being able to crank em a bit more past their tuning point at the expense of losing some below the tuning point. So I did add a filter even though I really haven't needed one. Plus I just wanted to play it safe as well.

In your space being what it is, a set of 4 should really blow you away. I wish my area was smaller but when I bought my place I didn't know at the time how the size of the room could matter so much. :(

Comment

Boober,

I think you "need" 4 more! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by boober View Post
                    I have a quad pack of the VS18.1's with an MQ600.

My HT area's almost twice as big as yours, close to around 11,000 cubic feet. Basically a great room with the kitchen, dining room and a couple of hallways.

I ran my 4 without a filter for the last year or so. I've never bottomed em out. But I desired being able to crank em a bit more past their tuning point at the expense of losing some below the tuning point. So I did add a filter even though I really haven't needed one. Plus I just wanted to play it safe as well.

In your space being what it is, a set of 4 should really blow you away. I wish my area was smaller but when I bought my place I didn't know at the time how the size of the room could matter so much. :(

Great info. Curious how does the opening scene to edge of tomorrow sound in your space?

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                      Boober,

I think you "need" 4 more! :cool:
                      LOL! :biglaugh: :cool:

I keep thinking I should get at least 2 more, someday I have a feeling I probably will. :peeping:

Comment

Originally posted by K-Dubb View Post
                        Great info. Curious how does the opening scene to edge of tomorrow sound in your space?
                        That's a good question!

That's actually the moment when I decided I should get a filter. My subs didn't bottom out, but I just became so paranoid that they might someday so I went ahead and got my subs some protection. I went online and read about other peoples experience with that scene and how others had had issues with their subs so I decided I had better protect myself.

Of all the bass scenes I've heard in movies, that 10 seconds or so of that movie were the best I've ever heard and felt.

I sit about 13 feet away from where my subs are stacked, and that's the first I'd ever felt my subs hitting me with air. It was like a fan turned on for a few seconds. Papers I had on my coffee table started to lift up and get blown off the table! I'd never ever felt my subs do that before. As the bass progressed, I heard various parts of my house shake as the bass changed.

Very cool stuff. I just wish my home theater wasn't so big. I couldn't imagine how much better it'd be in a smaller space.

I guess 4 more subs would help with that though. :cool:

Comment

Not knowing where you've been, boober, I think it's about time you got those subs some protection! :biglaugh:

Comment

Kdubb ... The new vented sub will come with three slot vents. Native tuning with all three open is just below 20 Hz, and about 15 Hz with one vent plugged. You will have the option of running the unit with one vent plugged and I cannot imagine you ever bottoming the driver.

The only caveat: The vented units need about 60 days to build as of this time. Sealed are ready to ship.

Comment

Kdubb ... The new vented sub will come with three slot vents. Native tuning with all three open is just below 20 Hz, and about 15 Hz with one vent plugged. You will have the option of running the unit with one vent plugged and I cannot imagine you ever bottoming the driver.

The only caveat: The vented units need about 60 days to build as of this time. Sealed are ready to ship.
                              Cool thanks! I have to sell my JTR first :)

Comment

Working...
                              X