Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audyssey XT32 AND Sub EQ HT?

Hello Everyone,
    Haven't posted in awhile and it is good to be back..
    Lightning struck basically in my front yard a couple of weeks ago .
    It damaged my Denon AVR-4810 and my Denon AVR-4802 (that I was using only for it's internal amps to power 3 pair of stero speakers in three other "zones" of my house).
    My insurance company was initially going to replace both units until they found out I bought them both from Crutchfield and paid $2699 and $2499 respectively. They had me get an electrician to check my service and then I had to take them to a repair service center for an estimate before moving forward with their decision.
    Even if they do decide to repair them, I'm going to sell them and purchase a Denon AVR-4520 (and maybe a Emo UPA-700 for my "zones").
    Craig has mentioned it is a worthwhile upgrade from Audyssey XT to XT32 since I have Two 18.2's.
    I plan on adding at least 2 (maybe 4) SBE-118's later this year but going to upgrade my receiver/pre pro first.
    I only use 4 channels of my 4810 (for my heights and wides) and plan to do the same with the 4520.
    I have Emotiva XPA-1 for my center, XPA-2 for my mains and a XPA-5 (using only 4 channels)
    for my rear and side surrounds. It sounds Very, Very good (or at least it did). My 2 18.2's flank my main tower speakers and are powered by a MQ-600.
    Please excuse my long winded intro and to my question; Does XT32 and Sub EQ HT work in concert with each other or do I have to choose one or the other? My 18.2's Sound Great but I keep thinking in the back of my mind that maybe I'm not getting the "most" out of them...

Thanks, God Bless and Happy Mother's Day to all the Mom's,
    Brian

Hey Brian,

I have a Denon avr-X4000 and it has XT32 and Sub EQ HT as well. Both features work in concert with each other so there is no "choosing one over the other" to worry about. When you run XT32 for the first time it will ask you if you are using 1 or 2 subs. If you are using 2, that's when the Sub EQ HT kicks in and you go through an extra step to help measure and balance the volume of each sub equally. Also, through the measurement phase, the receiver will measure and calibrate each sub individually as opposed to measuring and calibrating both subs summed together. I find the system gives much better results then the standard Multi EQ on my old receiver. Here is a link to a microphone placement guide. I used the "Wide Mic Pattern" placement for my calibration measurements. http://mehlau.net/audio/multeq_xt32_mic_pattern/
    Good luck and I hope you enjoy the new receiver.

Best....Carlo

Comment

Originally posted by Fatcat View Post
      Hey Brian,

I have a Denon avr-X4000 and it has XT32 and Sub EQ HT as well. Both features work in concert with each other so there is no "choosing one over the other" to worry about. When you run XT32 for the first time it will ask you if you are using 1 or 2 subs. If you are using 2, that's when the Sub EQ HT kicks in and you go through an extra step to help measure and balance the volume of each sub equally. Also, through the measurement phase, the receiver will measure and calibrate each sub individually as opposed to measuring and calibrating both subs summed together. I find the system gives much better results then the standard Multi EQ on my old receiver. Here is a link to a microphone placement guide. I used the "Wide Mic Pattern" placement for my calibration measurements. http://mehlau.net/audio/multeq_xt32_mic_pattern/
      Good luck and I hope you enjoy the new receiver.

Best....Carlo
      Thanks Fatcat! Makes perfect sense now. How do you like your X4000?

Comment

Glad to help out!
        I like the X-4000 very much. It is a big step up from my old 2310CI in terms of feature set and the XT32 and Sub EQ make a big difference in the smoothness of the bass in my HT. I have a SS18.2 and a downfiring 18.1 and even though they aren't identical subs, the processing gets them to play nice together in my room. I posted some impressions and a graph when I first got the receiver. I think it was in a thread Craig started about XT32. If I can find it I'll post a link.

Best....Carlo.

Comment

Looks like I'll be joining the XT-32 club as well. My almost 5 year old 5007 finally was overcome by the no sound problem. Whether it's from sticking solenoids, or the infamous bad hdmi boards, not worth fixing.

I hope that at half the weight of the Onkyo, the Denon X-4000 will be of higher quality, time will tell. It will be interesting to recognize an Audyssey improvement and check it with REW at some point, but with my ears being accosted by listening to just TV speakers, I hope I don't forget how good it sounded!

Comment

Hello Everyone,
            I ordered a Denon AVR-4520 and an Emotiva UPA-700 today! Hopefully they will be here next week! I'm on Vacation this week (Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Fountain Hills,AZ., back to Vegas and then Home to Nashville!).
            I'm looking forward to see how much improvement XT-32 is over XT for my SS-18.2's.
            I'll let you all know how the new receiver and amps works in the new system.
            God Bless,Brian

Comment

Congrats Brian!

Let us know how things go as you set it all up.

Best....Carlo.

Comment

Working...
              X