Power Console Reading in HT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Console Reading in HT

I had a conversation with Craig concerning amp power use. When I was running the two SS 18.1's the base line power usage was around 360-420 watts watching TV at -30 on the avr. In movies the power would go up to around 900 to the high 1100 with demanding LFE. The movie the Grey produce 1700 watts during the plane crash in the beginning of the movie at -3 or -5. Now that I am running an SS 18.2 along with co-located SS 18.1's the power console has never reached 900 watts.

I know power usage can vary from one setup to the next but, I was just curious if others ever note their typical power usage. Movies are usually watched at -10 to -15 a large room. I also have on the power console a Yamaha M 80 amp, Carver amp, Pioneer SC 35 avr, cable box, BDP and TV. It seems these subs are never close to the 800/1600 RMS/peak in my setup.
    Klipsch system: RF 7 mains, RS 35 Surrounds, RS 35 FW, RC 64 center, Chase SS 18.2,SS 18.1(2), (2) Berhinger I Nuke3000 DSP
    Pioneer Elite SC 35
    Acurus 200 x 5 amp
    Yamaha M 80 amp

2 Channel System: Yaquin VK 2100 integrated amp/McIntosh XR 5

Family Room: Sony STR DH 510, Klipsch VF 35, Epik Legend sub

There are a lot of variables to account for what you are seeing but my basic response to that would be you are actually using less power to drive the extra sub setup to achieve the same relative volume level as you did with the original setup. IE, you are getting more volume with less power because of more subs. That's a simple response and validates one of the reasons multiple subs are advanatgeous. More head room and less demand on all the parts involved to get there.
    Current primary system

Processor Anthem D2V

Amps McIntosh MC352 (2) bridged
    Parasound Halo A51 / Carvin DCM1000 (2) bridged
    Suntron MQ600(2)

Speakers Legacy Audio FOCUS SE /
    Silverscreen HD / Studio's (4)
    Chase CS/SS 18.2 (4) buttkickers (2)

Video Runco RS1100 Projector
    Stewart Studiotek 130 125" screen

Source Meridian / Sooloos Music Server
    Oppo 93

Comment

Originally posted by myc52002
      There are a lot of variables to account for what you are seeing but my basic response to that would be you are actually using less power to drive the extra sub setup to achieve the same relative volume level as you did with the original setup. IE, you are getting more volume with less power because of more subs. That's a simple response and validates one of the reasons multiple subs are advanatgeous. More head room and less demand on all the parts involved to get there.
      I agree with what you are saying and with the SS 18.1's co-located that the system headroom has greatly increased. I was just curious if others noted their power use in terms of watts or amps on their power consoles. It would be interesting to see some numbers. We talk about amp power but seldom relate it to what is actually going on in our HT's rooms. Just looking at my signature, one would think I would be using a lot more power considering all the amps plugged in to the power console.

If I am correct, the 18 in. driver used by Chase is around 95% sensitivity. The drivers take less power than most subwoofer drivers.
      Klipsch system: RF 7 mains, RS 35 Surrounds, RS 35 FW, RC 64 center, Chase SS 18.2,SS 18.1(2), (2) Berhinger I Nuke3000 DSP
      Pioneer Elite SC 35
      Acurus 200 x 5 amp
      Yamaha M 80 amp

2 Channel System: Yaquin VK 2100 integrated amp/McIntosh XR 5

Family Room: Sony STR DH 510, Klipsch VF 35, Epik Legend sub

Comment

Working...
      X