Amp for 2 SS18.2's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp for 2 SS18.2's

I have just about settled on ordering 2 SS18.2's and need some amp advice. I'm looking at 2 used amps in good condition, a Behringer NU6000 inuke, and a Behringer EP4000. Either one is going to be around $250-300. I like the weight on the inuke at 12lbs or so as I have so many heavy things in my life. Any advice is appreciated.

You should really consider the MQ600 that Craig now sells. It can drive 2 18.2s and I can get flat to 10 hz with it. The thing is 50+ pounds and and an absolute beast. My 2 18.2s never sounded this good.
    LCR: Gedlee Abbeys for LR and Nathan for Center Surround & rear 4 x Sho10's
    Subs: 4 x 18.2
    Electronics: Marantz SR7002, Acurus 200x3 (LCR), PS3, HTPC, CDP300, Mits HC1500, Elite Peregrine 2.35 156" Acousticpro4k

Comment

I really would consider that amp but I'm trying to save money. His new amp looks great but from what I understand the other two would be good choices.

Comment

But don't you need 2 of those amps to one mq600? Wouldn't it price out the same?
        Electronics: Marantz SR7002, Acurus 200x3 (LCR), PS3, HTPC, CDP300, Mits HC1500, Elite Peregrine 2.35 156" Acousticpro4k

Comment

I would need just one of those amps, so roughly half the cost.

Comment

You will be light on power with those amp selections especially 20Hz and lower. First, those amps simply do not run well at low frequencies (especially when asked to pound out something at or below 20Hz AND simultaneously a siginificant amount of mid bass that often occurs during a movie) versus rated power and even if they did, you are only looking at about 350 watts per driver, under half of what each 18" driver can handle. I understand the desire to save some cash but you are likely going to be wanting more in a short perod of time and will end up spending more money in the end. If you really have to save, do so for the MQ600, you will definitely not be disappointed with that decision. Just my .02
            Current primary system

Processor Anthem D2V

Amps McIntosh MC352 (2) bridged
            Parasound Halo A51 / Carvin DCM1000 (2) bridged
            Suntron MQ600(2)

Speakers Legacy Audio FOCUS SE /
            Silverscreen HD / Studio's (4)
            Chase CS/SS 18.2 (4) buttkickers (2)

Video Runco RS1100 Projector
            Stewart Studiotek 130 125" screen

Source Meridian / Sooloos Music Server
            Oppo 93

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts, I will consider the amp Chase offers. I've got 3 50
              Lbs + amps in my house already, what's one more.

Comment

From what I've read the NU6000 is a good fit for 2 18.2's. I've heard it has plenty of power and is flat to 10 hz. I'm not sure which Behringer would be the better model but i know 6000 offers a DSP model that has been highly praised but i know is limited EQing only to 20 hz.

I plan on getting 2 SS18.2's soon and will likely get a Behringer NU6000DSP to power them. Let us know what you decide to go with and how everything sounds.

Comment

Some think the Behringer unit will not power them well enough, I'll have to keep researching.

Comment

Not to stir the pot, but didn't the NU3000 have problems driving 2 18.1s at the KC subwoofer test? I can't remember if it was just wired wrong, or the amp was just clipping, but it definitely had issues. Mind you, they were driving those things to the limits, but if a 6000 is just 2x a 3000, then would you have the same issue driving 2 18.2's as well? Someone smarter than me chime in, but that's what I seem to remember from that whole thing.

BTW, I can't get the MQ600 to clip. My ears give out first...

Comment

The guys ran the 3000 in stereo mode at the GTG - which means they had about 280 watts for each subwoofer, and they were severely clipping the amplifier.

Here is a bench test of the I-Nuke 3000 - it you read it carefully, you will see it does not like delivering a lot of power in the 10-20 Hz range.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class...surements.html

Comment

Right, that's what I thought. Wouldn't you run into the same issue if you connected 2 18.2's in stereo mode to a 6000?

Comment

Darren - The I-Nuke 6000 is essentially two I-Nuke 3000's in bridged mono - so it would be a lot more powerful, as the 6000 can deliver about 2000 watts (measured) into a 4 ohm load.

This stuff can be confusing - but if you look at the 4 ohm bridged mono output of the 3000, you will see it also did about 2000 watts for a few seconds.

I personally prefer the MQ-600 to any amp I have used with the SS-182's, but would not argue with someone using the I-Nuke 6000, either.

Comment

Ah, ok. I've never been good at understanding power ratings, load and current.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigotis
                              I have just about settled on ordering 2 SS18.2's and need some amp advice. I'm looking at 2 used amps in good condition, a Behringer NU6000 inuke, and a Behringer EP4000. Either one is going to be around $250-300. I like the weight on the inuke at 12lbs or so as I have so many heavy things in my life. Any advice is appreciated.
                              The EP-4000 amp sucked at powering the pair of 18.2's I had. The Inuke 6000 easily seemed twice as powerful. The EP-4000 is a very good amp for speakers however it is mediocre at best for driving subs in my opinion. Get Craig's MQ 600 or an Inuke 6000. Much better fit for those large 18.2 subs.
                              I came, I saw, I purchased.

Comment

Working...
                              X