Subwoofer Addition Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subwoofer Addition Question

I need some opinions on a new sub purchase/placement question.

I'm planning on purchasing a MQ600 to go with my current 18.2. I'm hoping to recycle the Dayton amp by getting an 18.1 to use up in my living room to replace my 1 (out of 3) working MFW-15's.

However, my dilemma is that I can drive another 18.2 or 2 18.1's with the MQ600 which gives me some ideas. My current 18.2 is right in the middle of my front wall as that's where I get the best response, although I still get a small null right on my back seating area which is where I sit.

My idea, and this is my question, is would I see any benefit other than pure SPL by getting 2 18.1's and splitting them out wide to the front side walls? Possibly next to or right in front of my bass traps. I'm perfectly happy with the 18.2 but I wouldn't mind some more oomph in the room and to flatten out that null a bit more at my seating area.

My ultimate goal is to replace those Rockets up front this summer with something I can get higher, either via stands or wall mount of some type. If the MS-10 prove to be as good as the PRO/SHO-10's and will provide more than the Rocket 850's that's what will be going up there.

Any opinions appreciated!

Anyway, a few pics:

Jaymind - dual 18.1's can be stacked, so there isn't a major reason not to look at that approach. You can experiment a lot, and likely come up with a more even response curve in your room. If there is room behind the listening position, that often gives a great addition - as does a back corner.

Comment

Very nice looking room!

I like the colors you chose. It all looks very modern and sophisticated.

My kind of HT. :D

Comment

Great looking HT room!
        I came, I saw, I purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by jaymind
          My current 18.2 is right in the middle of my front wall as that's where I get the best response, although I still get a small null right on my back seating area which is where I sit.

My idea, and this is my question, is would I see any benefit other than pure SPL by getting 2 18.1's and splitting them out wide to the front side walls?
          Without drawings or dimensions, this is only a guess - But - there's a good chance that the null near/behind your seat is related to the length mode of your room. Adding more drivers at the front of the room won't improve that. Adding drivers (with separate delay and EQ - meaning separate amplification also) in the rear of the room has a good chance of broadening the sweet spot.

It may be that the mode in question is a secondary mode - probably in the neighborhood of 60 to 65 Hz. That may work to your advantage (compared to the primary mode), such that pulling new subs out into the room a couple feet could improve the situation - but still the best way to do that would be with separate EQ, delay, and amplification. That doesn't rule out the possibility that with a little variation in distance from the front wall you might get some improvement and add enough headroom to EQ closer to flat. Keep in mind though, that if you EQ one channel you EQ the whole room.

I don't know enough about the MQ-600 and how your subs are/would be set up to know how many channels of amplification and EQ you have at your disposal.

Fred

Comment

Working...
          X