Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend a Subwoofer for $200

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Recommend a Subwoofer for $200

    A friend is looking to purchase a subwoofer for his girlfriend and needs it by the 12th. He wants a 12", but I think he would consider a 10" if needed. The only 12" I can find is a Bic America (pre-order on Amazon, or sold for about $230-240 by partners) and a 12" Dayton on Parts Express. OneCall has some BA 12" for about $230. Remember, I'm already pushing beyond the $200 limit here :)

    I see some Polks scattered here and there on different sites, but haven't heard one I like yet.

    Any recommendations?

    Thanks,

    --Nhan
    PhenomeNhan Audio Video

    Your authorized ONIX dealer for the Great States of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.!
    [email protected]

  • #2
    The Premier Acoustic PA-120 has been getting good reviews by users @ AVS. I think it sells for $239 shipped on ebay from 2 authorized dealers.

    Comment


    • #3
      Too bad your friend has such a short time line! Roomer has it, there will be a high quality 10 incher available before too long, for around the same price point!! :applause::boom:
      music soothes my soul :goodvibes:.having good sound is my passion !:D

      Comment


      • #4
        Polk Audio PSW10 Black 10" Powered Sub

        Hi Nhan,

        I have no idea if these are any good, but it seems like a good price.

        http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290034

        If they use a promo code, they can get 2 of these for $200 shipped.

        119.99 - $20 (with code EMCLNLP28) = $99.99 with free shipping


        Gregg

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Magnatest
          Hi Nhan,

          I have no idea if these are any good, but it seems like a good price.

          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290034

          If they use a promo code, they can get 2 of these for $200 shipped.

          119.99 - $20 (with code EMCLNLP28) = $99.99 with free shipping


          Gregg

          Nice option.
          My IB
          http://picasaweb.google.com/steven.nock/IB

          Comment


          • #6
            thanks for your advices, guys. The premiere is just out of the price range and I'm not too familiar with the mtg, reliability, support, etc.

            I've ruled out anything 'X'.

            I thought the sub here was closer to $150. Have things changed?

            Not a fan of Polk but those prices are a killer deal. May have to drop by a local store and check them out. Thanks, Gregg!
            PhenomeNhan Audio Video

            Your authorized ONIX dealer for the Great States of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.!
            [email protected]

            Comment


            • #7
              Another option is the Energy ESW-10 for $185, or it's apparent clone from tSC (The Speaker Company), the ASW-8 for $150.

              Energy ESW-10
              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...chant&v=glance

              tSC ASW-10
              http://www.thespeakercompany.com/ASW...er-P62C17.aspx
              or a refurb for a little cheaper
              http://www.thespeakercompany.com/Ref...r-P108C17.aspx

              Comment


              • #8
                Is this for music or home theater?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by alphaiii
                  Another option is the Energy ESW-10 for $185, or it's apparent clone from tSC (The Speaker Company), the ASW-8 for $150.

                  Energy ESW-10
                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...chant&v=glance

                  tSC ASW-10
                  http://www.thespeakercompany.com/ASW...er-P62C17.aspx
                  or a refurb for a little cheaper
                  http://www.thespeakercompany.com/Ref...r-P108C17.aspx
                  Nice. I'll take that into consideration. THX.
                  PhenomeNhan Audio Video

                  Your authorized ONIX dealer for the Great States of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.!
                  [email protected]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dvenardos
                    Is this for music or home theater?
                    For both, but they are not critical listeners.
                    PhenomeNhan Audio Video

                    Your authorized ONIX dealer for the Great States of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.!
                    [email protected]

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by alphaiii
                      Another option is the Energy ESW-10 for $185, or it's apparent clone from tSC (The Speaker Company), the ASW-8 for $150.

                      Energy ESW-10
                      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...chant&v=glance

                      tSC ASW-10
                      http://www.thespeakercompany.com/ASW...er-P62C17.aspx
                      or a refurb for a little cheaper
                      http://www.thespeakercompany.com/Ref...r-P108C17.aspx

                      Looks like the Energy is the leading candidate at this point. Amazon shows that it is sold thru Audio Advisor. I did the purchase walk through at both sites. AA charges about $25 shipping, whereas Amazon shows $0.00. Wonder if when I click the Purchase button, a surprise shipping charge will appear :D Either way, I'll be fine with this choice.

                      The tSC sub appears to look like the Energy, but the drivers are different (so it seems) and the power rating from tSC is 150 Watts vs. Energy's rating of 400 (probably peak), but I can't find the continuous ratings anywhere (perhaps I didn't look hard enough).

                      The Polks are nice, but 50Watts is a little scant for this application. Perhaps I can get it for my computer setup or my nephew's room.

                      I also sent off an email to HTD to see if they have any used subs for around that range. I hope they do. I was also wanting to drop by some time and check out their new subs with an 'ICE' amp.
                      PhenomeNhan Audio Video

                      Your authorized ONIX dealer for the Great States of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.!
                      [email protected]

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I had tried the Polk PSW-10 for a secondary system some time ago. Not very good IMO. Didn't go so deep for a 10", wasn't "natural" sounding, and couldn't get it integrated at all with my speakers at the time (JM Reynaud Twin Mk II's). Tried various volume levels, placements, and phase IIRC.

                        I had an old Infinity 10" servo that did better as long as it was crossed over low enough, so I ended up giving away the Polk via my local Freecycle email list.
                        What if the Hokey-Pokey really IS what it's all about?!

                        Kinky Tom!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by skullguise
                          I had tried the Polk PSW-10 for a secondary system some time ago. Not very good IMO. Didn't go so deep for a 10", wasn't "natural" sounding, and couldn't get it integrated at all with my speakers at the time (JM Reynaud Twin Mk II's). Tried various volume levels, placements, and phase IIRC.

                          I had an old Infinity 10" servo that did better as long as it was crossed over low enough, so I ended up giving away the Polk via my local Freecycle email list.
                          Yea, I don't think that 50 Watts is enough for subwoofer duties.
                          PhenomeNhan Audio Video

                          Your authorized ONIX dealer for the Great States of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida.!
                          [email protected]

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PhenomeNhan
                            Looks like the Energy is the leading candidate at this point. Amazon shows that it is sold thru Audio Advisor. I did the purchase walk through at both sites. AA charges about $25 shipping, whereas Amazon shows $0.00. Wonder if when I click the Purchase button, a surprise shipping charge will appear :D Either way, I'll be fine with this choice.

                            The tSC sub appears to look like the Energy, but the drivers are different (so it seems) and the power rating from tSC is 150 Watts vs. Energy's rating of 400 (probably peak), but I can't find the continuous ratings anywhere (perhaps I didn't look hard enough).

                            The Polks are nice, but 50Watts is a little scant for this application. Perhaps I can get it for my computer setup or my nephew's room.

                            I also sent off an email to HTD to see if they have any used subs for around that range. I hope they do. I was also wanting to drop by some time and check out their new subs with an 'ICE' amp.
                            I ordered the ESW-8 through Amazon from Audio Advisor and the shipping was free. I actually returned it because I got the tSC ASW-8 during their sale, and even with shipping back to AA, it was still cheaper.

                            I liked the look of the ASW better (hated the feet on the Energy), and everything else about them appeared to be the same - amp, driver, sound. The only differences I could find were in the driver's surround (Energy's is ribbed), and very slight differences in cabinet dimensions.

                            The power ratings are confusing...you have to note whether Energy or tSC is talking about RMS, dynamic, or peak... In the end, the amps look identical and from what I could find, have the same RMS power ratings.


                            On a completely separate not...I came across an old post of yours about HTD's speaker wire. They were just running a 10% off sale so I picked up some of their 14 awg in-wall and regular wire to replace some old 16 awg monoprice wire that has gotten a little darker in color.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Here is a thread talking about the similarities between the Energy and tSC subs...

                              http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...767&highlight=

                              The user NADz is the guy who opened up both, and said they're essentially identical subs, aside from the cosmetic differences (unless the ribbed surround does make a difference in performance) I mentioned above.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X