which subs to buy???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which subs to buy???

Hey guys I have been reading for quite some time on avs and cht forums. I am doing the finish work in my theater. I followed all the build advice on avs with the help of bryan pape (awesome guy). I have the stage with sand, decoupled walls, riser with insulation and 2 layers of 3/4" supress drywall with green glue in between. Room dimensions, are 24x15 screen wall is at 21 feet. 7'10" ceilings Im ready to rock.

I am running all arcam fmj gear, Ati amp, and Energy c-9/veritas speakers. If I do change speakers, which i have no reason to, I am going to the Klipsch rf-7ii setup...

I am currently running dual av123 mfw-15s, they are nice but i need more, I have lots of acoustics and bass traps in the room.

I Honestly dont know which subs to get I am leaning towards CHT subs, just not sure which ones. Bryans design has dual subs dead center front and rear. I dont have room between my last row of seats to fit any of CHS subs. He also recommended all 4 corners. Like I said I am happy with the mfw-15s just want to feel and hear more without getting crazy. Appreciate throwing out some recommendations as to which subs or set up to go with from chase. thanks

jamie

Welcome, spareho.

Since you have room for only two subs, might I suggest dual SS-18.2's? Ideal for a dedicated theater room.

Comment

Originally posted by tesseract
      Welcome, spareho.

Since you have room for only two subs, might I suggest dual SS-18.2's? Ideal for a dedicated theater room.
      thanks for the response. well I was definitely considering dual 18.2s. I live an hr away from erie, in akron ohio. so I was thinking i would start with a single and pick it up. OR.....

dual 18.1s or dual VS 18.1s. I dont think I have ever heard a big sealed sub. What differences can I expect from the VS and the SS

thanks

Comment

The VS sub will give more output around vent tuning (19 Hz) without the need for EQ.

From around 35-40 Hz on up, the VS and SS subs will be the same.

The VS sub should be high passed at 16 Hz, below which the response will roll off rapidly. The SS sub will keep extending down, with a good room and proper placement, you could see 10 Hz easily, or even single digits.

Comment

From around 35-40 Hz on up, the VS and SS subs will be the same.
          I should clarify, single VS and SS subs will be the same above 35-40 Hz.

The dual driver SS-18.2 would have greater output in this range, and come very close the the VS sub around the 19 Hz tuning range. Of course, the sealed sub will rule the day in the ultra low frequencies.

Originally posted by spareho
          I dont have room between my last row of seats to fit any of CHS subs. He also recommended all 4 corners.

jamie
          Jaime, if you have room, four SS-18.1's would be worth consideration. Corner placement isn't necessary, random placement has been found to work best, exciting different room modes (vs. corner placement exciting the same modes, not ideal) for best room smoothing.

Look for more placement ideas in this thread. https://www.chasehometheater.com/for...ead.php?t=4521

Comment

I appreciate you taking the time to offer your input. So If i go with the dual 18.2s or the vs 18.1s I would assume I would be putting both behind my screen wall. Because they are pretty massive.

Im pretty sure I would have room to do 4 ss 18.1s. I could get them in the back corners of the theater, and it would be on back outside corners of the chair, this way I would have room to recline. If this isnt ideal I could put them on the side walls infront of the first row. the other 2 could go behind the screen wall.

So basically If this was your room, which would you lean towards. Also I am reading that some guys are playing around with new amps, Can I run 2 subs off 1 amp. Especially the 18.2s if I go that route.

thanks again
            jamie

I should clarify, single VS and SS subs will be the same above 35-40 Hz.

The dual driver SS-18.2 would have greater output in this range, and come very close the the VS sub around the 19 Hz tuning range. Of course, the sealed sub will rule the day in the ultra low frequencies.

Jaime, if you have room, four SS-18.1's would be worth consideration. Corner placement isn't necessary, random placement has been found to work best, exciting different room modes (vs. corner placement exciting the same modes, not ideal) for best room smoothing.

Look for more placement ideas in this thread. https://www.chasehometheater.com/for...ead.php?t=4521

Comment

Working...
            X