Need a little help deciding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help deciding...

Okay, I've been all over this forum and CHT in general for the past 6 months trying to figure out what subs to get to replace my recently departed ULS-15. I am already on the list for some SHO-10s, and realized today that I need to buy some stands for them. What better stand for a speaker than a great sub? My room is the antithesis of ideal. It's 25x20', has 25 foot ceilings, open in the back to the foyer and kitchen, with windows and doors along the opposite wall. Originally I was planning on getting a pair of SS-18.2s, but the VS-18.1s are getting all kinds of positive press right now. I have also considered going with a pair of SS-18.1s for now, and adding more later if needed. I'm also still wanting to see what happens with the CHT mystery amp that I see mentioned every once in a while, and that Craig suggested might be ready by October. I know the Sub1 amp is a great matched BASH amp, but I want to run pro amps for everything. I have 3 QSC DCAs running my LCRs, and I just love the layout of using rackmount equipment. So my question is, do I buy those beautiful countersunk 18.2s that I can't find a pic of, or the VS-18.1s? Or should I go with 2 SS 18.1s for now, and then add later? I have always had sealed subs, so I have no real experience with vented solutions, so that is also a concern. I'm not looking for a real answer, just more of a collection of opinions from you owners. Thank you. :)
    Dual SS-18.2
    0%
    Dual VS-18.1
    0%
    Dual SS-18.1 (with the option of going to 4 if needed)
    0%

The poll is expired.

Pics of the SS-18.2 can be found in the webstore and this thread. :)

That is a big space to fill, aiden. Perhaps multiple VS subs?

Comment

18.2 imo
      Current System
      Amps Sunfire TGA7400
      Mackie 1400i
      Crown XLS-1500
      Receiver:Sunfire TGP5
      Speakers: Klipsch KLF-30
      Jamo D8 CEN
      Chase SS-18.2
      2x Lilmike Cinema f20

Video:Epson 3010 3d 1080p, 130in perforated screen

Comment

Dual 18.2's
        I came, I saw, I purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by tesseract
          Pics of the SS-18.2 can be found in the webstore and this thread. :)
          Thanks for that. I assumed the pics in the webstore were the older version, but I guess I was wrong?

Originally posted by tesseract
          That is a big space to fill, aiden. Perhaps multiple VS subs?
          Tell me about it. Not everyone can have a dedicated theater. But hey, at least my kids have a place to sleep. :D

So I have 2 votes for 18.2s, 1 for VS-18.1s... should I have made this a poll? :)

Comment

Probably. My room size is somewhat similar to yours, only with 10 - 11' ceilings and not 25. I've got some VS 18.1's on the way that will hopefully be here today or tomorrow, so impressions should be here soon.

Comment

Okay, added a poll. While you guys are helping me out, can you give me advice on how to convince my wife that this is the correct way to set up your HT when you only have one wall to work with...
              Attached Files

Comment

^^Looks right to me. :biglaugh:

In that space it really depends on what your goals are but given the choices you offered I think dual SS18.2's is the way to go but only because 4 VS18.1's was not on option.:D

Comment

Dual 18.2's for sure. You can never have too much bass capability, but its pretty easy to not have enough and run out of steam, especially in a room that huge.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Jindrak
                    My room size is somewhat similar to yours, only with 10 - 11' ceilings and not 25. I've got some VS 18.1's on the way that will hopefully be here today or tomorrow, so impressions should be here soon.
                    I would be very interested to hear your impressions once you've gotten everything dialed in the way you want.

Comment

Originally posted by J&D
                      In that space it really depends on what your goals are but given the choices you offered I think dual SS18.2's is the way to go but only because 4 VS18.1's was not on option.:D
                      Yeah, I would have to replace the couches with subs, and then have padding and upholstery done on top to resemble a seating surface. Then there's the inevitable divorce paperwork, dividing the children... it gets messy. :biglaugh:

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter99
                        Dual 18.2's for sure. You can never have too much bass capability, but its pretty easy to not have enough and run out of steam, especially in a room that huge.
                        That's what I am worried about, not having enough volume. The ULS was completely swallowed by the room.

Comment

Originally posted by aiden
                          That's what I am worried about, not having enough volume. The ULS was completely swallowed by the room.
                          There is definitely something to be said about having ample headroom. In my old room which was 13x17x8 and SEALED I ran dual MFW-15's. They were turned WAY down from reference on my receiver and only at 9:00 on the amps themselves. They never ever broke a sweat and never distorted. Could one have done just fine in there? Of course, but this made it all so much cleaner plus you then can use the duals to help smooth out your frequency response.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by aiden
                            Okay, added a poll. While you guys are helping me out, can you give me advice on how to convince my wife that this is the correct way to set up your HT when you only have one wall to work with...
                            Maybe put everything behind an AT screen? :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by SunlessStrawhat
                              Maybe put everything behind an AT screen? :angel:
                              I like the way you think, but this is a rent house, so remodeling is out, as is hanging a screen from a 25 foot ceiling. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X