Opinions on the right sub for my space? Dual VS18.1 or Dual SS18.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on the right sub for my space? Dual VS18.1 or Dual SS18.2

A bit of a long intro below. To get to the meat of my question skip to the second paragraph, otherwise happy reading:)

Okay so I admit I've gone a little off the deep end into this home theater bit. I've wanted a basic 5.1 system for years and years and have never gotten around to the sound part. Last year I purchased a new 63" Samsung 8000 series plasma to replace my dying 60" RP Sony. For Christmas this year, I purchased a new Pioneer VSX-1121K receiver and a 5 speaker Grand Verus system from Aperion Audio (GV Towers, GVC, & GVBS x2). Now the final piece (for now:D) is the subs. A year or so ago I was decided on a HSU VTF-15H, and then it was a Rythimik FV-15HP about a month ago, and up until about two weeks ago I had decided on a PB13-Ultra from SVS (notice how the $$ keeps going up?!?). Then I came across some threads over at AVS about CHT. I had originally dismissed them because I had seen several threads describing their appearance as "DIY" or just "plain ugly". However, I kept being drawn back to the cost and performance that I kept reading about. I've spent the past two weeks lurking and reading as much as I can from the threads in the Subwoofer section. After reading Boober's thread I had to get me a pair for my system. I'm just not sure which sub is the best for me.

Some info on my room. Like most other people I have an "open floor plan". My main family room is 23 x 19 x 12 = 5244 cubic feet. Unfortunately the room opens to several other areas as well (Kitchen, Dining Room, hallway, and upstairs Bonus room) All in all I'm looking at about 14,000 cubic feet:eek: My listening is mainly for movies...I'd say 90/10 HT to music. I've seen several suggestions for the VS for primarily HT use, but I can't help but thinking I'd get a more visceral feel and "slam" out of dual SS18.2s. Plus the idea of 4 instead of 2 woofers also sounds more attractive. I do not have any WAF to consider so I'm good to go there. I could stack two VS to help with the output or I could put one SS up front and place the other near-field.
    So what do the pros suggest? I would like to stay in the 2K range and I know a dual VS system with a Dayton amp just get's me there with about an extra $10 dollars left in my pocket. I guess I could spend the extra on another amp and the slight increase of the SS series, but do I really need it, and is it the best for my situation.

If you've made it to here, thanks for reading. This seems like a great community and I like seeing Craig's involvement and support for us noobs. I've got my tax return and I'd like to order on Monday so let your suggestions fly!!

Thanks everyone!

If appearance isn't an object I might suggest asking Craig about BStock 18.2s ;)

Comment

It isn't a major concern if the price is right.

Comment

Well I thought it was. Have 2 more on the way :cool:

Comment

Racer08 - I think we might have two remaining SS-18.2 B stock units. They are a steal at $600 each. They may also be sold out. I can check on Monday.

The new SS-18.2's will not look like a DIY project - the new fit and finish from our OEM is excellent.

They will be quite a bit above your budget at $950 each plus shipping plus amp. The good news is many of the newer pro amps will drive a pair - so a pair of SS-18.2's can be done for around $2500-$2600 delivered with a good pro amp.

I can also assure you that a pair of VS-18.1's will make an excellent choice for your large area, and will stay within budget.

Comment

Craig - please check on the B-stock 18.2s on Monday if you can. I am very interested. I understand that your product has evolved and matured over time and I'm sure I'd be perfectly happy with the fit and finish from the pics others have posted. I'm a little confused on the price. You mentioned $600 each, but the next sentence mentions $950 plus amp plus shipping. Could you clarify please? Sorry for the confusion. (Nevermind, I read you post again and figured it out. New A-stock vs old B-stock, correct? For $600 each I'm DEFINITELY interested in the B-Stock if they are available)

I was wondering if I could run a pair of SS-18.2s off of a single amp. The amp I was looking at was the Peavy IPR™ DSP 5000. http://peavey.com/products/proaudio/...sp%3B5000.html If I'm not mistaken the ss-18.2 is a 4-ohm load, correct? Peavy's website list the output of this amp at 1510W RMS x 2 at 4 ohms. That's a little below the 800watts per driver but not by much. Would this amp be acceptable if I end up going with the SS units?

I guess my main question is: Is it worth the extra $500-600 dollars for the SS or are the VS going to make me grin from ear to ear and stay within my budget? I don't mind spending the extra, but I don't want to just blow the $$ as I have other home projects that I'd like to fund as well. Remember I have nothing to compare to (unless you count my cheap Logitech computer sub:biglaugh:) Thanks for your time and input.

Suggestions from others?

Comment

Originally posted by racer08
              Suggestions from others?
              Man, that is a tough choice. Dual 18.2 with a nice DSP amp, or dual VS-18.1s? I do wonder how accurate the Peavy amp ratings are.

Dual 18.2s would do the job nicely as well, especially at that price. It's a good thing for my wallet I didn't know about these. :biglaugh:

I would say rock a pair of VS subs for now, then get another pair down the road. You have a very large area to fill.

Comment

So that's two votes for the VS....

What about the "slam" factor that people speak of with the SS? If I place one (or both) VS near-filed I'm guessing they will make their presence known...

Comment

I'd have to vote on the 18.2's, if you can get them at 600, and you wouldn't have to worry about overdriving them without a high pass filter. I think you'll get a little more output overall, and be equal to the VS at tuning. But never hearing the VS, just my opinion. Either way, I think you'll be quite pleased.

You've made a very wise decision with either! The amp could be the key component to either choice.

By the way - Craig's avatar is the b-stock 18.2.

Comment

I will have 3 18.2s, and really wanted 4 but lacked the space :)

Comment

Originally posted by racer08
                      So that's two votes for the VS....

What about the "slam" factor that people speak of with the SS? If I place one (or both) VS near-filed I'm guessing they will make their presence known...
                      I would say the VS18.1's have "slam". I have 2 in a small room but I can leave the door open to a large room with a vaulted ceiling and I still have a ton of "slam" factor.
                      Klipsch RF-7II Mains, RF-82II & RS-62II Surrounds, RC64II Center, 2 JTR 2400 Passive Captivators, 2 CHT MQ600
                      Denon AVR-4520ci
                      Emotiva XPA-3
                      Panasonic TC-P60VT60
                      Oppo BDP-93
                      Xbox One
                      PS4
                      Denon DP-300F

Comment

Thanks Spurdarren and madpoet for your input

Comment

Maybe if Craig only has one B-stock SS left, I'll do one SS and one VS. Any advantages to this? Figuring out the amp may be tricky. Forgive my "noobness", but would a pro amp be able to run 8 ohm on one channel while running 4-ohm on the other? I'm guessing it would...

Comment

You're better off just getting duals of the same. Don't mix and match.

Comment

Thanks boober. I was reading below90hz opinions during their 4 sub shoot out about mixing an matching. The seemed to have favorable results mixing sealed and vented but just recommended 2 different companies i.e. Hsu/ CHT or ED/Rhythmik. Just kicking around the idea if Craig didn't have two 18.2 left.

Comment

Working...
                              X