Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Post, need advice...

Hello everyone!

I've been reading these forums for awhile now and very interested in the CraigSUB VS-18.1 with the Dayton 1000 amp.

Currently I have a 9.1 setup with Axiom speakers & Onkyo NR3008 AVR. I used to have dual EP500 Axiom subs, but I sold one of them. The duals served me well and since I only have one left now, I am currently selling this one to upgrade to one very powerful sub. Been looking at all the brands from SVS, Epik, JTR caps, Rhythmic, etc.

My room is about 4000 cuft and my listening is 60/40 = movies/music respectively.

My budget goal is to stay below or around $1500.00. I would like to go dual subs again, but need to watch the WAF...so just going for one sub for now.

So I've narrowed it down to either the CraigSUB VS-18.1 or the JTR Cap 1000.

My questions are...
    How is the VS-18 for music?
    With the VS-18 being 8 ohm, I'm only getting about 490 watts from the Dayton. The JTR 1K (from what I've read) is a Dayton 1000w Plate amp, speaker is 4 ohm's and getting around 950 watts. I can't get the VS-18 in 4 ohm?
    The JTR will cost me more, but I'm really thinking it would not be worth the extra dollars?? Maybe a few DB's?? if that...
    Also, I am assuming the VS-18 comes with regular binding posts on the back for speaker wire?

Sorry for the long post and the questions, any help would be greatly appreciated...

Respectfully,

Dana
    Dana

Zu Omen Def's, M22's, QS8's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo TX-NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740 73" DLP, Sony PS3

Dana - The VS-18.1's large enclosure makes for a VERY efficient design. The Dayton amp will run a single VS-18.1 close to its maximum excursion.

The 500 watts just plain works with an efficient woofer in a large cabinet.

The benefit to our design is the ability to later add 6 dB in output for under $700 plus shipping by adding a second cabinet.

Our current dual package at $1990 delivered for dual VS-18.1's and the Dayton amp is a REALLY good value.

If you can squeeze your budget a bit, it's worth considering.

That $1990 price includes shipping ... :)

Comment

Thanks for quick reply!

Adding a second VS-18 for $700 is very tempting.

I am assuming this is a special price for owners who already purchased one cabinet and looking to get another? or is this a sale price soon to end? Website says $845.00 each...

Respectfully,

Dana
      Dana

Zu Omen Def's, M22's, QS8's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo TX-NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740 73" DLP, Sony PS3

Comment

Oh sorry, forgot one more question, about delivery.

Upon the the driver arriving at my house, do these subs have to be man handled off the back of the truck? or do the trucks have a lift gate that lowers the package down to the ground?

Just wondering in the case that I am at work during delivery...:(

Dana
        Dana

Comment

I will add my 2 cents on what I think of the VS18.1. I replaced 2 Hsu VTF3 MK3's and a MBM 12 with one of these and I couldnt be happier. It digs deep and has the mid bass I wasnt getting with my Hsu setup. I like the VS18.1 for music. It is accurate and hits hard. I am guessing I looked at the same options that you did. I decided I couldn't find a better sub for the money. I would also like to say that the customer service is great. I am going to order a second unit this week. I am not really sure why exactly... 1 is more than enough. Bragging rights maybe? I guess it is part of the disease...
          Klipsch RF-7II Mains, RF-82II & RS-62II Surrounds, RC64II Center, 2 JTR 2400 Passive Captivators, 2 CHT MQ600
          Denon AVR-4520ci
          Emotiva XPA-3
          Panasonic TC-P60VT60
          Oppo BDP-93
          Xbox One
          PS4
          Denon DP-300F

Comment

Dana - The $845 price is for a single unit delivered without amp ... a pair is $1590 delivered, and the Dayton amp is $400, with no additional shipping charge.

R&L will put the package into your garage or on your porch. From there, you can break the pallet down to the separate pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by spurdarren
              I will add my 2 cents on what I think of the VS18.1. I replaced 2 Hsu VTF3 MK3's and a MBM 12 with one of these and I couldnt be happier. It digs deep and has the mid bass I wasnt getting with my Hsu setup. I like the VS18.1 for music. It is accurate and hits hard. I am guessing I looked at the same options that you did. I decided I couldn't find a better sub for the money. I would also like to say that the customer service is great. I am going to order a second unit this week. I am not really sure why exactly... 1 is more than enough. Bragging rights maybe? I guess it is part of the disease...

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I can understand you getting a second one, I've had the "disease" myself for awhile now... :)

Dana
              Dana

Comment

Originally posted by craigsub
                Dana - The $845 price is for a single unit delivered without amp ... a pair is $1590 delivered, and the Dayton amp is $400, with no additional shipping charge.

R&L will put the package into your garage or on your porch. From there, you can break the pallet down to the separate pieces.
                Excellent Craig! Thanks so much...

Dana
                Dana

Comment

Dana - I know the second unit is pushing the budget, but shipping is expensive for the first unit, but only about $50 for the second on the same pallet ... so we pass the savings on.

Food for thought. :)

Comment

Dana - Thank you for considering CHT.

Spurdarren - Thank you for the kind words. :)

Comment

Very, very helpful. I can see already the customer service and
                      I'm not even a customer yet...
                      I'm impressed!

Dana
                      Dana

Comment

Craig,

I just have one more question.

I am assuming the VS18 is an 8 ohm load?
                        If one was to get dual VS18's with one Dayton 1000 amp, can I (and should I?) wire the 2 VS18's to make a 4 ohm load and connect to the Dayton?

In other words, what is the proper connection setup for duals to one Dayton amp to get max watts/output?

Respectfully,

Dana
                        Dana

Comment

Dana - Yes, you can hook up two VS-18.1's to a single Dayton. It is an 8 ohm load per enclosure, and the Dayton even has two speaker binding post sets, one for each subwoofer.

It's REALLY a simple hookup. :)

Comment

Forgive my lack of knowledge here. :(

I am wanting a 4 ohm load, should not the duals be wired in parallel and connected to "one" set of post of the Dayton, thus creating a 4 ohm load?

Or does the Dayton do this internally when connecting 2 8 ohm speakers to "each" binding post on the back?

I checked the Manual on the Dayton and it does not clearly outline this...

Dana
                            Dana

Comment

You are correct. The Dayton "sees" a 4 ohm load when a sub is connected to each pair of binding posts.
                              Jack

Comment

Working...
                              X