Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SS-18.1 vs SS-18.2

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SS-18.1 vs SS-18.2

    I have been looking to replace my Def Tech Powerfield 1500 I use in a 21x16x13 room, one side is partially open. I use my system 80% music and 20% movies TV. I am seriously considering the Chase offerings. I like the great price on the SS-18.2 but I think the SS-18.1 with two I could get a smoother response in my room. Any sound differences between 18.1's and an 18.2? Also on the products page it says more amp will become available, would I be better to wait on a better amp than the Dayton offered. I think two 18.1's would be more esthetically pleasing but I like the value of the 18.2. Any advice is appreciated. Also when people are posting charts of their subwoofer frequency response curve what software or equipment are they using to do this?

  • #2
    Bigotis - We are down to a couple of "C" stock cabinets in the SS-18.2.

    The SS-18.1 as a pair and the SS-18.2 are identical performers, with (as you mentioned) the SS-18.1's having the ability to be placed apart to smooth out bass.

    In regards to amps, all the affordable amps we keep getting promised are not yet available to try. The Dayton is a great choice for driving a pair of SS-18.1's.

    If you are feeling adventerous, you can look into the Crown XLS-5000 thread here: Gorilla83's XLS-5000 Thread

    Comment


    • #3
      Craig, can the Dayton Amp drive two SS-18.2s?

      Originally posted by craigsub
      Bigotis - We are down to a couple of "C" stock cabinets in the SS-18.2.

      The SS-18.1 as a pair and the SS-18.2 are identical performers, with (as you mentioned) the SS-18.1's having the ability to be placed apart to smooth out bass.

      In regards to amps, all the affordable amps we keep getting promised are not yet available to try. The Dayton is a great choice for driving a pair of SS-18.1's.

      If you are feeling adventerous, you can look into the Crown XLS-5000 thread here: Gorilla83's XLS-5000 Thread

      Comment


      • #4
        Sunless,

        For what it's worth, I'm 40/60 music/movies and just placed an order for dual 18.1's.

        I'll post a mini review once I get them, setup and dialed in, etc. but I'm coming from a single Axiom EP500 (previously dual EP500's).

        I'm sure the dual 18.1's will crush the single axiom, we shall see. :)

        Dana
        Dana

        Zu Omen Def's, M22's, QS8's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo TX-NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740 73" DLP, Sony PS3

        Comment


        • #5
          Not trying to thread jack, but whats the C stock pricing.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SunlessStrawhat
            Craig, can the Dayton Amp drive two SS-18.2s?
            Hi Sunless. Welcome to the CHT forum.

            Each SS-18.2 has two, 8 ohm drivers in the cabinet which are wired to present a 4 ohm load to the amp. 4 ohms is the maximum the Dayton amp can handle. So, each SS-18.2 requires one Dayton SA-1000 amp. :)
            Jack

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SunlessStrawhat
              Craig, can the Dayton Amp drive two SS-18.2s?
              Hell no! I know the performance is supposed to be the same with dual 18.1's as a single 18.2 but once you spread them out the 18.2 will have more output. Don't forget that!

              Comment


              • #8
                Thank you, Ajax.

                Originally posted by Ajax
                Hi Sunless. Welcome to the CHT forum.

                Each SS-18.2 has two, 8 ohm drivers in the cabinet which are wired to present a 4 ohm load to the amp. 4 ohms is the maximum the Dayton amp can handle. So, each SS-18.2 requires one Dayton SA-1000 amp. :)

                Comment


                • #9
                  You're very welcome. :)
                  Jack

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mktheater
                    Hell no! I know the performance is supposed to be the same with dual 18.1's as a single 18.2 but once you spread them out the 18.2 will have more output. Don't forget that!
                    You could definitely tell that at the October GTG.
                    -Greg

                    Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

                    HO's Basement Take 2

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by HuskerOmaha
                      You could definitely tell that at the October GTG.
                      Greg - MK meant that taking two SS-18.1's and spreading them out will have them delivering less SPL than an SS-18.2.

                      A single SS-18.1 and stacked SS-18.1's will be identical.

                      I don't recall trying spread out SS-18.1's at the GTG ... did I miss something?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by HuskerOmaha
                        You could definitely tell that at the October GTG.
                        Originally posted by craigsub
                        Greg - MK meant that taking two SS-18.1's and spreading them out will have them delivering less SPL than an SS-18.2.

                        A single SS-18.1 and stacked SS-18.1's will be identical.

                        I don't recall trying spread out SS-18.1's at the GTG ... did I miss something?
                        I think all the subs were spread out near the front two mains. So actually a single 18.2 would have more output and duals would have been interesting especially with a clone amp or even better each sub having a plate amp with DSP from the same company the submersive uses. Yes the 18.2's would have cost $1500 each with amp and DSP but at $3000 for the pair it would have still been a lower cost option. Is that company speaker source or speaker craft, I don't remember.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mktheater
                          I think all the subs were spread out near the front two mains. So actually a single 18.2 would have more output and duals would have been interesting especially with a clone amp or even better each sub having a plate amp with DSP from the same company the submersive uses. Yes the 18.2's would have cost $1500 each with amp and DSP but at $3000 for the pair it would have still been a lower cost option. Is that company speaker source or speaker craft, I don't remember.
                          We didn't use 18.1's at the October meet - it was a single 18.2.

                          I think you mean the 1-14 meet?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I am referring the recent GTG that used duals for every sub. Spreading out the 18.1's would have less output than the last GTG that used a single 18.2, especially with that inuke amp.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              That was the 1-14 meet. Husker was talking about the October meet.

                              I do remember Husker thinking the 18.2 sounded better than his pair of 18.1's at his place in October, but we did not do a listening test.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X