Sub Hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub Hum

I have a 18.1, hooked to a dayton amp. The first few weeks no hum, now, loud hum. Nothing has been added or changed in my set up--- any troubleshooting i can do to remedy the humming sound-

F&R ... Try this: Turn the amp off completely, then unplug it for a few minutes. Plug it back in, turn it on, and try it again.

I don't remember a hum developing in an amp after a few weeks - in the 300 plus we have delivered, about 6 were DOA and two had a high pitched noise.

Hum usually means a ground loop somewhere, but that would have been there from day one.

If the unplugging does not work, try a cheater plug (even for just a couple of minutes). If the cheater plug works, then there is a ground loop.

Let us know when you can ... Thanks ! :)

Comment

what is a cheater plug?

Comment

nevermind, I googled it :)

Comment

FWIW-

Sometimes with Dayton SA1000s in my system (the CHT setup and now the MFW15 quad setup) the hum only appears when I'm using certain software.

I don't hear it with the xbox, directv, or Onkyo AVR, but when I'm using my HTPC it hums when XBMC is on prior to me playing a film. Once I start the film it goes away.

Weird, I'm sure it doesn't apply, but I thought I would throw it out there.
          -Greg

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

HO's Basement Take 2

Comment

I've had good luck with these. The SW200 is cheap and of good quality.
            http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00006...dir_mdp_mobile

Comment

Working...
            X