How low is that sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How low is that sound?

How would I go about finding out how low a tone is on a particular song or on a movie scene?
    Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

I'm gonna guess you have to load the CD onto the computer and then get some sort of spectrum analyzer/ johnson rod and some software that will interpret the wavelengths. If that doesn't work or is completely off, you could get a microphone and hook that up to your computer, and play the note your trying to find out the frequency of and have the software analyze that. Or, you could maybe hook the CD player up to your computer through a digital cable and see if theres some software that can analyze the signal in that manner.

I really haven't the foggiest idea. But, I do think I'm on to something. It seems to me that you will need a computer, some software, and possibly some hardware to get this working correctly for you. :yes:

Hope that helps :scratchchin:
    Time waits for no man.

Comment

Cant you use an adapter cable
      http://www.mac-pro.com/iPod-Headphon...CA-Jack-6-Foot

from audio out on DVD player to computer mic in and use REW software?

You could try it with test tones first to see if its accurate.

I have not used REW so I may be shooting from the hip.

Look Here!http://www.techmind.org/audio/#specanaly
      Lance
      _________
      Whatever

Comment

Try this thread at AVS. Take a look at the waterfall plots near the bottom maybe someone has already done the work for you.

Comment

This may work.

audacity
          I could do a lot of things if I had some money.

Comment

Originally posted by obie_fl
            Try this thread at AVS. Take a look at the waterfall plots near the bottom maybe someone has already done the work for you.
            I doubt it. This is for a particular song on an album my little brother told me to get. I posted it in 'what's in your player thread' but the album is Tipper-Wobble Factor, and the song is 'Snot Rocket' At 3:20 into the song is some low low stuff, and I'm curious as to how low.

Originally posted by nwbnd
            This may work.

audacity

I already have audacity....have to look at it and see if there's a feature for that.
            Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason
              I doubt it. This is for a particular song on an album my little brother told me to get. I posted it in 'what's in your player thread' but the album is Tipper-Wobble Factor, and the song is 'Snot Rocket' At 3:20 into the song is some low low stuff, and I'm curious as to how low.

I already have audacity....have to look at it and see if there's a feature for that.
              Nope, I came across it a while ago when I stumbled on this site The acoustics of an organ pipe. Never followed up to see if the function matched my interpretation. No time like the present. I'll see what I can find.

Comment

OK....Audacity only plots down to 86 Hz.

Comment

Test method.

Play song on itunes through laptop speakers
                  hold crap grade web mic near laptop speakers
                  hit record on audacity
                  capture sample
                  hit stop on audacity
                  select a section of capture
                  goto Analyze menu and select Plot Spectrum

here's the result I got.

I could probably do better but I downloaded, installed, and ran this quick sample since my last post.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Since level was not a requirement I could probably use my ratshak meter without worrying about calibration files. I could run something through my system using that as the mic and see what improvements if any can be had. I'll see if I can get to it this weekend.

I'll also see if REW will do anything along these lines also. I'm very far from an REW expert but my impression is it collects level data only and plots that relative to the source frequency. I could be way off base here.

Comment

Test method.

Play song on itunes through laptop speakers
                      hold crap grade web mic near laptop speakers
                      hit record on audacity
                      capture sample
                      hit stop on audacity
                      select a section of capture
                      goto Analyze menu and select Plot Spectrum

here's the result I got.

I could probably do better but I downloaded, installed, and ran this quick sample since my last post.
                      What were you recording? It looks like it had +5 db @ 22Hz
                      Lance
                      _________
                      Whatever

Comment

OK...but I'd think that would only plot what your speakers are actually playing. Still, 22 Hz is not low enough. I need something that can show me all info in a track well into the infrasonics.

I'll still try this later tonight after I get the kids in bed..

Comment

Originally posted by Lanceb1b
                          What were you recording? It looks like it had +5 db @ 22Hz
                          xmas music (first thing my mouse landed on :)) I suspect that is all noise. There's no way my laptop could produce 22 hz if I threw it down the stairs. Not to mention the quality of the mic (or lack there of)

Comment

Originally posted by Jason
                            OK...but I'd think that would only plot what your speakers are actually playing. Still, 22 Hz is not low enough. I need something that can show me all info in a track well into the infrasonics.

I'll still try this later tonight after I get the kids in bed..
                            You may be exactly right. Like I mentioned earlier I was shooting from the hip. Interweb advice isn't worth the paper it's printed on :) Maybe one of the other posted suggestions is better than my half-baked contribution. You've got me curious so I'll play more this weekend. Don't let me waste too much of your time on a wild goose chase.

I knew I should have added a YMMV :raspberry:

Comment

xmas music (first thing my mouse landed on :)) I suspect that is all noise. There's no way my laptop could produce 22 hz if I threw it down the stairs. Not to mention the quality of the mic (or lack there of)

There's no way my laptop could produce 22 hz if I threw it down the stairs
                              I laughed so hard my wife is giving me strange looks, well more than normal:ha ha:
                              Lance
                              _________
                              Whatever

Comment

Working...
                              X