Joe Blow's guide to subwoofer setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Blow's guide to subwoofer setup

Does this exist? I think I have my subs set up pretty good, but is there a simple guide for setting the polarity? I snooped around at audioholics but not much jumped off the page at me. The phase is where I'm pretty much at a loss.

Here's how they are setup...

They are in the same locations for the most part... just tweaked a bit.
    I know I can move them around the room for better bass, but what about the phase? I have them both set at 0.

TIA... Jethro
    Time waits for no man.

I haven't used this, so I don't know if it will help.

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=3418

Jim C

Comment

Originally posted by bunnyma357
      I haven't used this, so I don't know if it will help.

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php?t=3418

Jim C

Seemingly thorough write-up here. I'm looking for a quickie on setting phase for dual subs.
      Thanks for the link however :thumbsup:

I'm sure I'll read it over tonight when I have some free time to make sure I didn't leave anything out.
      Time waits for no man.

Comment

If you want a "quick setup guide" for subwoofer integration (single or multiple):

1) plug in
        2) turn on

If you want to truly integrate it into your system, there are any number of things to look at ... placement, "generic phase", EQ, room treatments, etc..

If you are happy with placement and just want to do generic phase setup, then play a tone at your XO frequency and using an SPL meter at the seating location, adjust the phase of the sub(s) until the output SPL at the XO frequency is greatest. HOWEVER-- this method does next to nothing for true subwoofer integration. The most basic next question is, "What does it look like over the entire XO range?" (XOfreq +/- 20-50Hz)

Room EQ Wizard (and other softwares) help give you the proper information to do better integration.. Sometimes just physically turning the sub (if your placement options are limited) can have profound (or negligable!) improvements.. But you won't know any of that if you don't graph your frequency response.. Subs individually, combined, with and without your mains playing, ...

But, like I said, if you want just a very basic, "generic phase" adjustment, then just use the simple instructions above.. bossobass's guide is a VERY good one.. Might take some time to swallow all of it, but when it comes to subwoofer integration, "investment in = investment out."

good luck.
        ..dane
        (The first to sport a signature on TCAforum..)
        "Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden." - Philo of Alexandria
        "Love God and be nice to people." - Brooks Everett of CBC
        d&k's webpage

Comment

Jethro - Here is a pretty easy, quick way to do this. You need a Radio Shack or other SPL meter.

1. Set meter to "C" weighting and Slow

2. Unplug or turn off one of the 2 subwoofers.

3. Calibrate your system so that a single subwoofer is in proper phase with your main system. Set the subwoofer so that it is 3 dB below reference. Set properly, the second sub will add 3 dB (this will vary thanks to the room, but it's what we have to work with).

You do this by running an 80 Hz sine wave through your mains, then through the sub, adjusting the sub until it is 3 dB below the reference of the mains. Next, adjust the phase until the subwoofer it at its loudest point, and leave the phase there. Readjust the sub volume (if needed) to 3 dB below reference.

4. Set the other subwoofer at the same gain level as the first, and run the same 80 Hz signal. Turn the phase knob on the second sub slowly until you get the maximum volume of the 2 subs together.

Your whole system should now have proper phasing, and then you can decide if you want to increase the subs for a little "hotter" bass.

Comment

Originally posted by craigsub
            You do this by running an 80 Hz sine wave through your mains,
            ...if your XO is set to 80Hz...

:huge:

..dane
            (The first to sport a signature on TCAforum..)
            "Be kind, for everyone you meet is carrying a great burden." - Philo of Alexandria
            "Love God and be nice to people." - Brooks Everett of CBC
            d&k's webpage

Comment

Thanks Craig and Dane. Just what the Dr. ordered :)
              Time waits for no man.

Comment

Also if you have an audessy equipped receiver then audessy will adjust the distance which is almost the same as phase automatically. evidence from a large sampling of users points to the fact that its very good at getting this right. At my house Seaton setup was 22.0 feet and audessy said 21.5 feet.

Sean

Comment

Working...
                X