General sub question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General sub question

I'm currently planning on getting one or more of the new subs Jon is offering, and decided to go look at the specs of my current sub. I originally started out years ago with this odd Sony system (SEN-R6500) that was kinda an all in one, but the odd thing with the system was that it seems like the amp was actually built into the sub base (the "receiver" for the system weighed nothing, and all the speaker outputs were on the back of the sub). Eventually I upgraded to a real receiver and Change speakers for the front and center channels. But I'm still using the crappy sub.

I went and looked at the manual and this is what it notes for the sub:
    8" cone type woofer
    reproduction frequency range of 25Hz to 150Hz
    Power Consumption 270W

And then it has a separate section for the amplifier in the manual with the following specs:
    140W + 140W (front, all other speakers off, 8 ohms)
    25W + 25W (rear, all other speakers off, 8 ohms)
    40W (center, all other speakers off, 6 ohms)
    50W (woofer, all other speakers off, 4 ohms)

So does that mean the sub is acting like a 270W sub, or a 50W sub?

I recall there being a plate on the back of the front speakers with a wattage way higher than that noted in the amplifier section above (it was in the 200s IIRC). And the rears say 50W for maximum input power, so this discrepancy was common in the system.

Just trying to get an idea what I have currently in comparison to help me judge what is being offered.

Originally posted by msweig View Post

So does that mean the sub is acting like a 270W sub, or a 50W
    IMO 50 watt. If your sub is a Model SA-W651.

Comment

Yep, that's the one. Many thanks!

So all the Chance offerings are going to be significantly more powerful. Gives me a good baseline.

Comment

Originally posted by msweig View Post
        Yep, that's the one. Many thanks!

So all the Chance offerings are going to be significantly more powerful. Gives me a good baseline.
        Thats a under statement. IMO i would get the 300 watt

Comment

I'll probably do dual 300s or wait for the dual 550. Haven't decided yet.

Comment

Working...
          X