DIY and flat pack subs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY and flat pack subs

A thread for home-constructed bass systems...

Originally posted by jwskud View Post
    Besides, the long range plan is to build a new, dedicated, basement system around dual 18" subs, so....I'll get my complete fix then. ha
    Dare I say DIY Full Marty's 18" Dayton's ultimax's ???? 👀
    ​​​​My ultimate goal is indeed a dedicated theater space and dual 18's.
    Last edited by BudgetMike; 07-20-2020, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Sounds nice, but I'm 100% set on Rythmik FV18PCs. I've had them on my wishlist for 2+ years...
      Just here me out, one of the top of the line 18" subwoofers, a DIY box kit that comes with all the pieces, you clamp and glue accordingly, paint it, make it your own, pair it with an amp from maybe Crown and for far less then the $1900 on the Rythmik. A Dayton Audio Ultimax UM 18-22 in a full Marty (from GSG tuned for 16hz I believe) is a very well proven combo, with amp probably cost you $900/speaker. Takes a little elbow grease but doable!

Anyways, that my mission once I get a dedicated large space.

These 550's 10" are going to be AMAZING till then.

Comment

Originally posted by BudgetMike View Post
        Just here me out, one of the top of the line 18" subwoofers, a DIY box kit that comes with all the pieces, you clamp and glue accordingly, paint it, make it your own, pair it with an amp from maybe Crown and for far less then the $1900 on the Rythmik. A Dayton Audio Ultimax UM 18-22 in a full Marty (from GSG tuned for 16hz I believe) is a very well proven combo, with amp probably cost you $900/speaker. Takes a little elbow grease but doable.
        It is certainly an impressive sub, and as it is DIY, much more affordable than the FV18PC (half the price). The data-bass number are solid...but it just can't touch the FV18PC. Seeing as how this will be a long, long-term project and I'm willing to wait to save and buy once, it's gotta beat the 106+ dB of the FV18 at 16 Hz! Few non-horn subs can do it.

Comment

It is certainly an impressive sub, and as it is DIY, much more affordable than the FV18PC (half the price). The data-bass number are solid...but it just can't touch the FV18PC. Seeing as how this will be a long, long-term project and I'm willing to wait to save and buy once, it's gotta beat the 106+ dB of the FV18 at 16 Hz! Few non-horn subs can do it.
          I'm definitely not trying to sell you on it but I do know how you love real numbers and measurements. Thought I'd drop this link https://youtu.be/ZfFW5nRFpCY it's worth a watch at least in my opinion.

.....*cough* 117db @16hz (Duals) *cough* ......
          Last edited by BudgetMike; 07-21-2020, 11:48 PM.

Comment

I'm definitely not trying to sell you on it but I do know how you love real numbers and measurements. Thought I'd drop this link https://youtu.be/ZfFW5nRFpCY it's worth a watch at least in my opinion.
            .....*cough* 117db @16hz (Duals) *cough* ......
            They're certainly no slouches! And it looks like you get a load of output for the cost (obviously, more than any brand can supply). But they're also sealed, and my giant, open basement space wouldn't play nearly as nicely as his. He's obviously picking up loads of room gain.

Any DIY ported flat-packs you'd recommend (for the system I'll likely never be able to afford to build anyway - ha!)?

Comment

They're certainly no slouches! And it looks like you get a load of output for the cost (obviously, more than any brand can supply). But they're also sealed, and my giant, open basement space wouldn't play nearly as nicely as his. He's obviously picking up loads of room gain.

Any DIY ported flat-packs you'd recommend (for the system I'll likely never be able to afford to build anyway - ha!)?
              It IS ported!!!! DEFINITELY not sealed. The port looks more like a vent that's the entire width of the woofer. I would not have steered you towards a seal unit AT ALL.

Comment

Here's the link to the ported/vented Full Marty flat pack ($328 for newest design/original design is in the $200's) I'm talking about. Then the Ultimax 18-22 is $250ish. Then you just throw on an amp/mini DSP and call it a day.

https://shop.gsgad.com/collections/m...ty-single-unit

Just trying to share some interesting info and present an alternative avenue that meets your needs while potentially saving you $1000 PER subwoofer.

​​​​​
                Last edited by BudgetMike; 07-22-2020, 12:36 PM.

Comment

It IS ported!!!! DEFINITELY not sealed. The port looks more like a vent that's the entire width of the woofer. I would not have steered you towards a seal unit AT ALL.
                  OK, my bad! Don't kill me, bro! haha
                  I will add it to my list of considerations...considerations to pursue if I am ever handed $2,000 and have no other outstanding needs!

Comment

OK, my bad! Don't kill me, bro! haha
                    I will add it to my list of considerations...considerations to pursue if I am ever handed $2,000 and have no other outstanding needs!
                    😅 Whoops, didn't mean to come off aggressive! Haha, just one of those bad boys would make a huge difference. Start with one then add another 🤷‍♂️ that's my goal eventually. Soon as I have a $1000 to invest I'll make one.

Comment

Tanks for the help everyone. Does anyone use Transducers in their setups? I bought 4 a while ago that are not hooked up right now, but they were fun. I was wondering if people used these along with their Subs?

I also wish I wasn't a complete cluster#### with my hands. The DIY route looks fun.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglepigjim View Post
                        Tanks for the help everyone. Does anyone use Transducers in their setups? I bought 4 a while ago that are not hooked up right now, but they were fun. I was wondering if people used these along with their Subs?

I also wish I wasn't a complete cluster#### with my hands. The DIY route looks fun.
                        I can't help with the transducer question (it sounds like the flux capacitor from Back to the Future to me), but don't knock yourself with regards to DIY. These "flat packs" that BudgetMike is describing are fairly straightforward as I understand it. Everything comes in pre-cut pieces (think Ikea) and the hardware is simple enough to procure, so if you've ever built an Ikea desk or dresser or bookshelf (I've had to do all 3 - ugh!), you could likely do this, as well. Then you just order stuff like the driver and amp, mount them into the pre-cut holes, and viola - you have a death box that will electrocute you the first time you plug it in! ha.

I don't know which is tougher - putting the cabinet together, finishing the cabinet, or installing amp/driver/etc. Anybody here have experience?

Comment

Just to give you an idea, last time I used a belt sander, I sanded my Thumb down to the bone.... I am that bad at these things. Electronics and programming np.

The transducers are fun for movies, I used have them attached to the bottom of my recliners and they really do shake you around at the subsonic frequencies. Would be interesting to hear if anyone has them as well as a really nice Sub/Subs setup.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglepigjim View Post
                            Just to give you an idea, last time I used a belt sander, I sanded my Thumb down to the bone.... I am that bad at these things. Electronics and programming np.

The transducers are fun for movies, I used have them attached to the bottom of my recliners and they really do shake you around at the subsonic frequencies. Would be interesting to hear if anyone has them as well as a really nice Sub/Subs setup.
                            Ahh, ok! You're talking about something like Buttkickers. When you said transducer I didn't make the connection. LOTS of folks on AVS use giant (and very expensive) subs and transducers, especially if on a concrete floor.

Comment

I was considering the FV18PC but once I saw the RAW output of the TV1812 with ULF& Mid-bass Slam... I was sold. Ill still Demo a FV18PC ( its a very good sub)...one of these days... I would also want to get a GSG flat pack... I hear they will have a Low tuned option soon. I watch a lot of movies at reference.

the REW graph is from a AVS user...its Two TV1812 subs with a B&C 18DS115 4ohm drivers ( NON Horn box)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X