Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• underhung vs overhung

First of all, please remember this is not Swim so no :toilet:

I think I understand the difference (via wikipedia) on the differences. Overhung means the voicecoil is wound over a longer distance along the former as to allow at least a portion of the VC to remain within the magnetic gap, right? Conversely, underhung, the VC windings cover a shorter area of the former and can actually travel further outside of the gap, right?

OK.....what is the operational differences, and why would one choose one over the other?

Just trying to learn more...
    Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

Chuck Norris might be able to help. He's overhung, I hear.

Comment

lol....

I've actually learned the difference via Ed M from SVS. Overhung means that a portion of the coil will always be outside of the magnetic gap when in motion. Underhung means that the magnetic gap is much 'longer' in comparison to the voicecoil, so that the entire voicecoil is always within the magnetic gap, even at extreme excursion. Supposedly a very expensive motor to design and manufacture.
      Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!

Comment

Originally posted by gwilks98
        Chuck Norris might be able to help. He's overhung, I hear.
        That's just the funniest thing I've read in weeks.
        Originally posted by dvenardos, it mad me laugh and now it's my sig.
        Originally posted by dvenardos
        Your right, the TCA sub is crap, it couldn't possibly compete with an MFW-15 or a name brand 12" sub, and Jack and Ray are just schilling for their boss. We should know better than to listen to what those bozos have to say.

Comment

I'm guessing underhung would be more efficient as all the current is within the magnetic field.

Comment

Do you realize how much self control we're going to have to have in response to this post?! What a test....

Anyways. I wikipedia'd it too but couldn't find the particular page for it? It led me to some politics stuff..

Comment

Working...
            X