• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Time Caller
    replied
    BTJ

PLEASE FEED THE L CROWD

We want to hear your review to help us through our waiting. Your thoughts on anything L as you may be the only one other than Jon to listen to them.

Leave a comment:

• BufordTJustice
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrx1929 View Post
    BTJ how did the 2 752s sound compared to your 3 a2.4s with movie's and tv? I'm considering the 752 instead of 3 a2.4s
    From my review:

”In comparing it to the A2.4 (or any of the A series models as they are pretty homogeneous at this '.5' stage of tuning), it's better. In technical terms, it's actually ome of the flattest on-axis designs Jon has yet made, but that's got nothing to do with why it sounds better (kinda gilding the lily at this point).

Blacker backgrounds bring forth smoother and yet even more detailed mids and highs. This effortless sense of dynamic reserves and a simply cavernous sense of space, but the stratification of sonic sources within that space is actually very good as well. Jon's been making great imaging for a long time now. But this is the next step. The sense of looking down a hallway....often like peering into a cathedral...is repeated and shocking. Obviously, not on every song and this is highly dependent upon the resolving power of your system. I don't mean to sound like an elitist, but I wouldn't expect this via a lowly AVR. Not everything sounds the same. Not up for debate.

Back to the 752's. This ultra-black background is such a contrast to the A Series, and most other speakers you've heard, that it nearly sounds as if the spectral tilt isn't quite right....as if they are too dark. But they're not; they're flat on-axis. I would guess that the distortion is just below a certain threshold at virtually any normal level that they only seem that way. However, what this really worked out to mean was that you could listen to these at really insane SPLs, for absurdly long periods of time, without ANY fatigue. At all. None. You never felt like you were wanting for detail. I certainly didn't.”

Leave a comment:

• Mrx1929
    replied
    BTJ how did the 2 752s sound compared to your 3 a2.4s with movie's and tv? I'm considering the 752 instead of 3 a2.4s

Leave a comment:

• BufordTJustice
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrx1929 View Post
    Hey BTJ

​​​​​ On the 752 do they image good enough with just a LR that you could do without a center channel?
    OH YES.

Leave a comment:

• Mrx1929
    replied
    Hey BTJ

​​​​​ On the 752 do they image good enough with just a LR that you could do without a center channel?

Leave a comment:

• 1st Time Caller
    replied
    Hey BTJ

I know you are crazy busy but any chance you get to the L review before they go on sale?

Leave a comment:

• Freddyknuckles
    replied
    Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post

The ideal is for your ear to be at the same height as the horn throat (dead center).
    24 inches it is

Leave a comment:

• BufordTJustice
    replied
    Originally posted by Freddyknuckles View Post

These seem precariously perched up there, putting the height at 52". Do you think that is absolutely necessary or could you get away with something a little lower? Perhaps 20" stands?
    They would be more than fine on either of those recommended stands.

As for height, that depends on your seat and ear height. You want your ear height to reside within the physical height of the primary horn mouth, well before the flat flange begins.

The ideal is for your ear to be at the same height as the horn throat (dead center).

Leave a comment:

• Freddyknuckles
    replied

I used them on 24” steel stands. You’ll want to employ something like the Monoprice Monolith 24" or Pangea DS400 24” 4 column stands and you’ll want to fill all the columns with sand.
    These seem precariously perched up there, putting the height at 52". Do you think that is absolutely necessary or could you get away with something a little lower? Perhaps 20" stands?

Leave a comment:

• marksman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ehill View Post
    I sold my JBL speakers about 4 months ago to a buddy that kept asking to buy them. So we’ve been speakerless for around 4 months. My wife and I can’t wait to go upstairs with a glass of wine to listen music or watch movies soon on our new Chane music and cinema speakers
    You should be very satisfied. Based upon my positive experiences with earlier XBL^2 drivers, I placed a bet and replaced some "higher end" JBL and lower end Klipsh with the original first-generation Arx (Chane A-series) and was blown away with the quality we got, for a total of less money than we spent on the aforementioned speakers. It was like someone took a sock off of our JBLs and we could hear clearly. We ran them side by side for a month or so to eliminate confirmation bias. My normally skeptical wife was absolutely thrilled. Friends used to go to my place to watch "The Voice" while I was out of town, to use our soundsystem.

We wound up giving away the JBLs. I felt bad taking money from friends for them.

Leave a comment:

• BufordTJustice
    replied
    Originally posted by 1st Time Caller View Post
    so a Toyota Avalon vs a Lexus ls 500
    Great analogy and YES.

It takes everything good about the A2.4 and magnifies it.

Leave a comment:

• 1st Time Caller
    replied
    so a Toyota Avalon vs a Lexus ls 500

Leave a comment:

• BufordTJustice
    replied
    Originally posted by Freddyknuckles View Post

Thank you for the detailed review and insights on the 752s.
    Regarding the forthcoming L3c review, I hope you will be able to dedicate a paragraph to an A2.4 and L3c comparison.
    Though one step up in size and a different price class I am certain there will be endless amount of people wanting to know how they compare given that are both MTM configurations and that Chane set a very high bar when it created the A2.4s, irrespective of price.
    I hope to be reading your review soon!
    This is going to sound a bit crass, but they don't, really. To a non-Chane owner, they might. To a current A Series owner, the differences are readily apparent.

The L Series sounds more expensive. That's the best summation. Incrementally better in every aspect of performance.

Leave a comment:

• Freddyknuckles
    replied

Stay tuned for episode 2; the L3c’s review. 😉😎👍
    Thank you for the detailed review and insights on the 752s.
    Regarding the forthcoming L3c review, I hope you will be able to dedicate a paragraph to an A2.4 and L3c comparison.
    Though one step up in size and a different price class I am certain there will be endless amount of people wanting to know how they compare given that are both MTM configurations and that Chane set a very high bar when it created the A2.4s, irrespective of price.
    I hope to be reading your review soon!

Leave a comment:

• BufordTJustice
    replied
    Originally posted by Gerry View Post

What about the 752? 😉
    Oh I ran those full range 95% of my time with them. But I only had two (L + R).

In large rooms, I had useable response well into the mid to low 30's. Not saying, you won't need a sub, but with the sealed alignment, they dig DEEP.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X