Chane 752 MTM Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cgramer View Post

Thanks for the detailed reply. Sounds like I have two models to consider now!

Do you think an amp like the Outlaw RR2160 or the Yamaha R-N803 would suffice to drive the 752s well? Maybe not wring every last little bit of nuance or dynamics out of them, but it should be "good enough"?

Cannot wait until these show up on the site with pricing info... Any ETA, Jon?

Chris
    Well they are an easy load to drive. Could probably drive them with a cheap 30 watt class-D amp from parts express. No sarcasm.

Should work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 1st Time Caller View Post
      Thanks BTJ awesome as always. Anything you can say about the L's? Would love it if they brought you to tears also.
      Stay tuned for episode 2; the L3c’s review. 😉😎👍

Comment

Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post

Do you already have it in hand? Are you still in Florida?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry View Post

Do you already have it in hand? Are you still in Florida?
          Yes and no. 👍😎

Comment

Are you planning on doing any frequency response analysis? Or how about the 752 in horizontal center duty? I can’t decide between the 700 and L series for my LCR. Haha!

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry View Post
              Are you planning on doing any frequency response analysis? Or how about the 752 in horizontal center duty? I can’t decide between the 700 and L series for my LCR. Haha!
              Probably, eventually. (Some observations from a few years ago are here on the problems with data-driven "analysis".)*

The 752 is specifically designed for seamless axial sound. It's a big MTM and like any speaker, TM or MTM, will vary across the long-axis field. But it's been optimized to do less of that than we might at first assume. Like the A2.4, it's effective in 3-channel front stages, with the middle speaker laid flat, horn rotated (which we do at the plant this time).

*Unfortunately as a casual, popular point of purported knowledge, measured amplitude is a mess: Speakers are transient devices, not static tone generators. Data misses the important points in design that are quite audible. Speakers assumed to meet such and such an amplitude response as some standard of their sound quality turn out to miss that spec, sometimes dramatically. The data generally wants for any pertinent interpretation, making it simultaneously too granular and not granular enough. It becomes sighted bias. The list goes on.

But, data sells, so any maker has to balance that reality against just making a good-sounding speaker whose behaviors may never even appear in the data. Missing data won't appeal to the cancel culture that's sprung up around data, but we'll have to see if that culture is waxing or waning.

The industry has known for half a century, in one way or another, what sounds right. In our experience typical data is an incomplete snapshot.

We've posted data and probably will again. As retail information, I just think it's unproved, some times in the extreme.

Comment

Glad BTJ gave a comparison to Klipsch horns as they are popular and seem to have that love it, hate it quality. Some give the RP600M the speaker of the year and others claim it unnaturally enhances the highs, hisses snakes, and has poor sound staging. I prefer to stay clear of that product line.

Comment

Originally posted by kabin View Post
                  Glad BTJ gave a comparison to Klipsch horns as they are popular and seem to have that love it, hate it quality. Some give the RP600M the speaker of the year and others claim it unnaturally enhances the highs, hisses snakes, and has poor sound staging. I prefer to stay clear of that product line.
                  I used to own Klipsch Reference Series and have heard every series since then. As Danny Richie shows, they are just poorly.... and sometimes BARELY.... engineered speakers.

I bolded the part of your comment that accurately sums modern Klipsch. I only exempt the heritage series; they're still not the greatest but they are head and shoulders above anything else klipsch makes.

The RP-600M is the only speaker I've yet heard that could make a Pass Labs Int-60 Sound like absolute trash. I would have taken some Dayton speakers through a cheap Onkyo over what I heard.

And let's be clear; Klipsch isn't the only one, but they lie BADLY about the sensitivity of every product they make. Kinda shocked they don't get more static for that. You better believe Jon would take it on the chin if he did that.

Comment

Random note: Image and soundstage are the product of retrieving the original stereo mix as intact as possible. They have less to do with dispersion.

Comment

Question for Jon and BTJ.

Since the A2.4 and the A6.5 are voices similar to the 700 series line could you have the 752’s as left and rights and either the A6.5 or A2.4 as a center channel?

I haven’t found away to install the 752 as a center in our living/movie room. I’ve cut up a cardboard box with the dimensions of the 752 in order to simulate a 752 center channel.

I’m not sure if the A2.4 could keep up with the 752.

Just trying to think outside the box.

I haven’t narrowed down which Chane model I want to purchase but I have definitely narrowed down the company “Chane”.

That says a lot....I performed an audio lovers sin. I sold my JBL speakers about 4 months ago to a buddy that kept asking to buy them. So we’ve been speakerless for around 4 months. My wife and I can’t wait to go upstairs with a glass of wine to listen music or watch movies soon on our new Chane music and cinema speakers
                      Last edited by Ehill; 08-24-2020, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ehill View Post
                        Since the A2.4 and the A6.5 are voices similar to the 700 series line could you have the 752’s as left and rights and either the A6.5 or A2.4 as a center channel?

I haven’t found away to install the 752 as a center in our living/movie room. I’ve cut up a cardboard box with the dimensions of the 752 in order to simulate a 752 center channel.

Assuming an 80Hz highpass for the center speaker, the A6.5 gets the nod as a speaker with the most similar acoustical size, but the A2.4 is an MTM and may sound a little more similar in daily use. Ideally you'd try them all and see which you prefer.

I haven’t narrowed down which Chane model I want to purchase but I have definitely narrowed down the company “Chane”.

That says a lot....I performed an audio lovers sin. I sold my JBL speakers about 4 months ago to a buddy that kept asking to buy them. So we’ve been speakerless for around 4 months. My wife and I can’t wait to go upstairs with a glass of wine to listen music or watch movies soon on our new Chane music and cinema speakers
                        Thank you. We try not to disappoint. =o)

Comment

Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post

Waiting with bated breath :) Ant teasers before it comes out other than they sound more alike than different

Comment

Originally posted by 1st Time Caller View Post

Waiting with bated breath :) Ant teasers before it comes out other than they sound more alike than different
                            No. 😉

Comment

This might redefine speaker face ripping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93T0mVddBgM

Comment

Question for Jon and BTJ.

Short answer is yes.

One of the easiest and best ways to play a speaker louder without distortion or damage is to raise the crossover frequency with the subs. For the A2.4, setting a 90hz or even a 100hz crossover would permit a good amount more headroom over an 80hz THX crossover. Same with the A6.5.

With that in mind, they could absolutely pair with the 700 series and I used an A2.4 as a center for a while with the 752's to great effect. But I raised the crossover to 100hz for some headroom during absurdly loud passages, like the opening of Top Gun on BD played over reference level.

It's not ideal, but it's certainly doable. Lesser speakers have been put in much more dire situations on the recommendation of AVS forum members without huge issues.

Comment

Working...
                                X