Chane 752 MTM Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ehill View Post
    Jon has a very nice Italian made “18-Sound“ Compression Driver with a pure Titanium diaphragm in the 700 series.

A inside look of 18 Sound factory tour.

A very high tech and passionate company located in northern Italy.

https://youtu.be/-JTyFPM4MV8
    They are a quite impressive company. The tolerances and precision they hold on the production floor are the equal of any hifi speaker driver maker. They were one of only two companies in the planet that were initially able to make iPal rated woofers for the PowerSoft iPal active servo system. The other was B&C.

If memory serves B&C either bought a large share of 18S or bought them outright. High praise for such a respected and well established company like B&C to acquire you.

Comment

Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

Me too. Enough suspense.

(Anyone mind if this thread is moved to the Reviews forum?)
      You can move it. I probably should have made it there to begin with.

Comment

How do the new 752’s compare to your A2.4’s?

I’m super interested in the 752’s. The eighteenth sound Compression Driver with a pure Titanium and the custom cast aluminum non-diffraction Horn plus the Chane crossover and the solid construction on the boxes has got me really interested in the 700 line.
        Last edited by Ehill; 08-16-2020, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Most of the review is now live in the first post.

Comment

I just read your update to the review.
            All I can say is WOW these are exactly what I’m looking for.

Jon I don’t know if you have a ongoing list of buyers but can you put me down for three 752’s? Hopefully, will get some pricing soon.

I had a couple questions on your review.

How far is the main listening position?

What are the silver round objects on top of your speakers?

Any idea on where the compression driver is crossed over at?

Many thanks for the updates to your review.
            Last edited by Ehill; 08-16-2020, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post
              Okay, long time in the works, this review.
              I'm not sure what Jon has done, but if you want a system that can play loud enough for movies but really has musical pedigree, you should look hard at the 700 series and the 752's. Be honest about your current needs and also about using a bass system for reasonable scenarios, but these can do both.
              Thanks for the detailed review! You mentioned that you listened to the 752s without subwoofers, and that they're capable of being used full range. I'd be curious to hear what you thought of the bass extension with various types of music, such as rock, EDM, jazz, etc. Would love to hear your impressions with other specific pieces of music besides the Holst piece. :)

I'm considering the 753s, but it sounds like, depending on price, the 752s might fit the bill for my two-channel system. Think they'd be happy being driven by an Outlaw RR2160 or a Yamaha R-N803 (110 and 100 W/ch into 8 ohms, respectively)? The kind of amplification you were using is out of my budget by far (entire system budget is ~$3,000).

Thanks again!

—Chris
              New system: Receiver/integrated amp TBD; Chane Model 753 speakers!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehill View Post
                I just read your update to the review.
                All I can say is WOW these are exactly what I’m looking for.

Jon I don’t know if you have a ongoing list of buyers but can you put me down for three 752’s? Hopefully, will get some pricing soon.

I had a couple questions on your review.

How far is the main listening position?

What are the silver round objects on top of your speakers?

Any idea on where the compression driver is crossed over at?

Many thanks for the updates to your review.
                MLP was at about 11 feet. Maybe a little more.

Those silver things are doorstops that keep my clumsy German Shepherd from knocking them over. They just add mass and stability. No sonic effect that I have ever been able to hear at all.

Crossover is under 2khz.

Comment

Originally posted by cgramer View Post
                  Thanks for the detailed review! You mentioned that you listened to the 752s without subwoofers, and that they're capable of being used full range. I'd be curious to hear what you thought of the bass extension with various types of music, such as rock, EDM, jazz, etc. Would love to hear your impressions with other specific pieces of music besides the Holst piece. :)

I'm considering the 753s, but it sounds like, depending on price, the 752s might fit the bill for my two-channel system. Think they'd be happy being driven by an Outlaw RR2160 or a Yamaha R-N803 (110 and 100 W/ch into 8 ohms, respectively)? The kind of amplification you were using is out of my budget by far (entire system budget is ~$3,000).

Thanks again!

—Chris
                  Heading out to hike Mount Rainier right now. Will try to get you a high quality answer other than “good” this evening.

Comment

A quick note. Models 752 and 753 have been hard to describe, going back to the original content on them. They are not, and have not been presented as repurposed professional speakers to use at home. There certainly are heavier-duty models on the market that they may bear a passing resemblance to. But they are not in the kilowatt range or the 95dB+ range at one Watt. They just happen to use a horn treble system and with twin 8" midbass drivers, they're also two acoustical sizes larger than the A Series. No SplitGap drivers are used here, so there's no power-adder on board, but their acoustical foundation is much larger and therefore it tunes lower and louder.

BTJ's account drives right to typical useage: He managed to successfully get at least a couple hundred watts of music peaking into them. We rated them at 240W program. If we rated sensitivity more optimistically we might call them 92dB+. And you can drive them fullrange and expect real bass.

The 753 floor version adds a third woofer and raises all that by 50%. By the way, the mike says both models reach about 24kHz @ -3dB, and the treble region above 4kHz is actually just a touch lifted. Overall they're a nominal +/- 1.5dB from top to bottom using reasonable data smoothing.

It adds up to a larger acoustical package - for a three driver speaker, and then in the 753 for a five driver speaker - than anything else we're making, but they're not nightclub speakers per se. We gave them excellent dimensionality, good musicality, easy presentation, and ample dynamic headroom. Considering how many A Series speakers there are in users' larger cinema rigs than we anticipated, hopefully these guys open up even more vistas.

Comment

Buford, you had a pair of (early production?) L3's for a while. How would you compare the L3's to the 752's? More interested in how each performed for music as opposed to movies. TIA

Comment

Originally posted by Spidacat View Post
                        Buford, you had a pair of (early production?) L3's for a while. How would you compare the L3's to the 752's? More interested in how each performed for music as opposed to movies. TIA
                        Still have the L3c’s.

Totally different rooms, so it’s hard to say. I went from a 2550 square foot home in FL to a 960 square foot apartment right in the heart of downtown Seattle. It’s built like a high end condo, but the rooms have basically zero in common.

As far as musicality, the L3c’s do delicate a little better and the 753’s do dynamic a little better. But they’re obviously related. They’re much more alike than any A Series is to either of them.

Comment

Thanks again!

—Chris
                          The bass. Due to the sealed alignment, the 752’s present far deeper than their f3 rating. Sealed rolls off half as fast below f3 compared to vented. AND, you don’t get the phase inversion below port tuning; all info from the port below port tuning is going to be out of phase from the drivers‘ signal above port tuning. So you see group delay skyrocket near tuning and below.

So, in my big Florida home, I was seeing powerful extension into the high to mid 30’s. Room gain was involved.

The bass is very dynamic and textural. Upright bass sounds properly impactful. Even piano can present as concussive. But driving EDM beats also sound the proper mixture of fat and controlled.

This means you can cross your subs far lower than normal, maybe even 55hz, if that best serves your use case. The 752’s are highly versatile in this regard.
                          Last edited by BufordTJustice; 08-17-2020, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post
                            This means you can cross your subs far lower than normal, maybe even 55hz, if that best serves your use case. The 752’s are highly versatile in this regard.
                            Thanks for the detailed reply. Sounds like I have two models to consider now!

Do you think an amp like the Outlaw RR2160 or the Yamaha R-N803 would suffice to drive the 752s well? Maybe not wring every last little bit of nuance or dynamics out of them, but it should be "good enough"?

Cannot wait until these show up on the site with pricing info... Any ETA, Jon?

Chris
                            New system: Receiver/integrated amp TBD; Chane Model 753 speakers!

Comment

Cannot wait until these show up on the site with pricing info... Any ETA, Jon?
                              Only if you don't hold me to it. Really, don't hold me to it. ;o)

Based on our costing work so far I'd like to see the 752 under $525 each and the 753 under $775 each. Not sure yet if we can.

We came in fairly well on the three 10" subs; actual price was close to estimates, with the TAI-190 creeping up due to carton costing. I'm hoping we don't have any unforeseens in the two large 700 models.

This is for a triple-woofer tower weighting in the 80# range and a proportionally-sized large MTM LCR speaker.

Comment

Thanks BTJ awesome as always. Anything you can say about the L's? Would love it if they brought you to tears also.

Comment

Working...
                                X