Chane 752 MTM Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chane 752 MTM Review

Okay, long time in the works, this review.

The 752 (700 series, 5 = 8” woofers, 2 = Woofers; 752). This uses twin Scan Speak 8” woofers in a sealed alignment. They surround an Italian 18-Sound Compression Driver with a pure Titanium diaphragm, proprietary hybrid radial phase plug, custom damped rear chamber, inside of a custom cast aluminum non-diffraction Horn (60H x 40V). The CD in the horn is flat past 20khz, with usable response past 23khz. No, you can’t hear that high. But, linear response past 20khz means the driver preserves accurate phase response in the band you CAN hear. So it’s still quite functional and beneficial.

In the attached photos, you’ll see the 752, my dog, and the A2.4. Nobody will call the 752 small, but its a manageable size. You’re not buying it for your office system.

SETUP: I used them on 24” steel stands. You’ll want to employ something like the Monoprice Monolith 24" or Pangea DS400 24” 4 column stands and you’ll want to fill all the columns with sand. This will bring the weight of each stand to above 50lbs. They were in a large room (24’ x 14’ x 9.5’)and I should have used a sub. But, all opinions and impressions found in this review are made running the 752’s full range, without a separate bass system.

SYSTEM: This system was used in my old home in FL. The pre at the time was the acoustically excellent Parasound Halo C2 processor. Its power supply would give up the ghost part way through 2019 and I acquired several other processors to use throughout the review period. I initially went with the Anthem AVM 30, then the Krell Showcase 7.1, then the Anthem Statement D1, and ending with the Proceed AVP2 by Madrigal Sound Labs (same company as Mark Levinson). My source was either a Bluesound Node2 via coaxial digital (and also its internal DAC via RCA) and via a Panasonic BD player with 7.1 analog outputs (with BurrBrown DACs that fully decoded Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master HD. The amp was a highly modified Adcom GFA-5500 MOSFET. This is, per my emails with Nelson Pass, functionally about 2/3's of a de-tuned Pass Labs Aleph Zero. Same input section and devices, same out put devices (but fewer of them), with less class-A bias due to reduced heat sink area. I then sent it to Joh Hillig at Musical Concepts for the full boat modifications. Takman resistors, high grade Japanese caps, tons of other tweaks (including increasing the class-A bias). It is barely inferior to my current dual Benchmark AHB2 monoblocks and it beat in direct comparison the following in my room (with the 752's): Parasound A21 (non +), Bryston 4B SST2, and a First Wat F5 along with a few others. Smoother treble but with better detail, better imaging, more textural bass, significantly more holographic than the A21 and 4B. It sounded like a clone of the F5....identical,,,,except with stronger and more controlled bass (and 8x the current delivery). But they were twins without bass heavy music...ULTRA high praise.

I have made a local PNW buddy with the Parasound A21+ (that has been redesigned with all MOSFET architecture and many other similarities to my Adcom, and garnering a great review from Kal Rubinson at Stereophile). The A21+ has been judged to be very similar to my AHB2's and that mirrors my impressions of my Adcom, which I am keeping...forever. Good for Parasound. MOSFET based class A/B and Class-A amps are really peak solid state aside from maybe Benchmark's THX AAA+ technology and a few Hypex NCore implementations. So, my GFA-5500 has basically nothing in common with any Adcom you've ever heard. It really does sound like a Pass Labs/First Wat product.

REVIEW: Alright, here we are. What do these boxes sound like? Well, let's use some adjectives to form some type of lose rubric to categorize the sound: silken, effortless, deep bass, textural bass, holographic images, cavernous depth, ultra-black backgrounds, massive soundstage images.

I'll begin by saying that these don't sound like any horn based product you've likely heard. At all. Not even a little bit. So, if you're looking for that rip-your-face-off Klipsch style front-row performance, these aren't your race car. Not impugning any of those aspects, but these aren't that. Not even close.

They are significantly more refined than that.

In comparing it to the A2.4 (or any of the A series models as they are pretty homogeneous at this '.5' stage of tuning), it's better. In technical terms, it's actually ome of the flattest on-axis designs Jon has yet made, but that's got nothing to do with why it sounds better (kinda gilding the lily at this point).

Blacker backgrounds bring forth smoother and yet even more detailed mids and highs. This effortless sense of dynamic reserves and a simply cavernous sense of space, but the stratification of sonic sources within that space is actually very good as well. Jon's been making great imaging for a long time now. But this is the next step. The sense of looking down a hallway....often like peering into a cathedral...is repeated and shocking. Obviously, not on every song and this is highly dependent upon the resolving power of your system. I don't mean to sound like an elitist, but I wouldn't expect this via a lowly AVR. Not everything sounds the same. Not up for debate.

Back to the 752's. This ultra-black background is such a contrast to the A Series, and most other speakers you've heard, that it nearly sounds as if the spectral tilt isn't quite right....as if they are too dark. But they're not; they're flat on-axis. I would guess that the distortion is just below a certain threshold at virtually any normal level that they only seem that way. However, what this really worked out to mean was that you could listen to these at really insane SPLs, for absurdly long periods of time, without ANY fatigue. At all. None. You never felt like you were wanting for detail. I certainly didn't.

I did feel like I was wanting for SPL, in a good way. I found myself venturing into previously uninhabited SPL territory on a regular basis. Then, my "home" volume setting basically just got a lot louder than with the A2.4's. No headaches. No explanation other than the more you cranked it, the more you just felt like things became an emotionally involving experience....like you were immersed in and swimming within the sound. I found it increasingly easy to become emotionally involved in my music. Even to the point of being brought to tears. However, this involvement, I should clarify, existed at all output levels.

Going back to the A2.4's briefly brought a sense of a hanging "whiteness" to the sound. Obviously a great sense of air and space, but that sense of lingering incalculable background noise...but at a subconscious level. The sense of having those effortless dynamic reserves is also missing compared to the 752's.

For the 752's, they just deliver this delicate yet very dynamic sound that gives the sense that they can always get louder...no matter where you are on the volume dial. Even when cranked, they are just so easy and effortless and smooth and liquid, you are starved of that lingering sense of dread during your jam sessions of "Am I playing this too loud? Am I about to let the magic smoke out? Am I hurting them?" You forget about that. Even though you know on an academic level that you're really pushing things...but you care less.

I'm not just talking about the fact that the 752's maintain their spectral balance as SPL's rise (The A and L Series do that as well). I mean that the sense of ease and effortlessness remains even during massive orchestral passages at absurd volumes.

Quick context. My heavily modified Adcom is rated conservatively at 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms from the factory. However, it comes with a 1.4 kVa toroidal transformer that will actually support significantly more output than that. The Parasund Halo A21+ is rated at 300/channel into 8 ohms with a 1.35kVa Xformer, as an example. So, I upgraded my main filter caps from 72,000uf to 88,000uf. I then sent the amp to Jon Hillig at Musical Concepts for his platinum package. While I didn't have him bench test the amp for power, I can't think it would be much less than 250 watts per channel...and I think the mentioned upgrades support this conclusion.

With that said, I played an HR FLAC version (modern recording) of Holst The Planets, 'Jupiter The Bringer of Jollity'. I turned the volume knob up to new territory and let 'er rip. The crescendo at the end revealed a few things. 1), the distortion warning lights on the Adcom still work after nearly 30 years and 2) The 752's tolerate an abusive level of current without a single damn complaint. You just wouldn't know it because they send every impression that they're just not working that hard. Impressive. Without hyperbole, I was actually brought to tears at the end of the song.

I didn't take an SPL reading. You'll need some watts to play loud, but these can deliver the SPL goods for most use cases.

[Editor: This review reflects a beta test scenario and testing for maximum level. It should not be taken to imply that this speaker can or should be used at very high volume, especially for extended periods. 9/28/20]

I'm not sure what Jon has done, but if you want a system that can play loud enough for movies but really has musical pedigree, you should look hard at the 700 series and the 752's. Be honest about your current needs and also about using a bass system for reasonable scenarios, but these can do both.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 08-16-2020, 03:15 AM.

Looking forward to the review.

Comment

This will be awesome.

Comment

Delayed, but still in the works.

Got super busy with work.

Comment

Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post
          Delayed, but still in the works.

Got super busy with work.
          Looking forward to the review! I asked about it over on AVS, but I guess I was off-topic and my posts were all deleted. (I'm the guy from "the other Washington").
          New system: Receiver/integrated amp TBD; Chane Model 753 speakers!

Comment

Originally posted by cgramer View Post

Looking forward to the review! I asked about it over on AVS, but I guess I was off-topic and my posts were all deleted. (I'm the guy from "the other Washington").
            Oh man. Why would AVS do that???

Anyways, yeah work has been SUPER busy. In process of implementing some new mechanisms and I’ve been working too much for my own good.

I will say this: Chane/Jon really does have a house sound.... connective tissue that links all his stuff. And that’s neutrality and a faithfulness to real sound sources. Trumpets sound blatty like trumpets, voices like voices, so on and so on.

These really do not sound like any horns you’ve likely heard before. They sound rich and musical like a direct radiator speaker.... but everything emanates from this extremely black background.

Comment

Looking forward to your review.

😀👍🏻

Comment

Review.....review.....review.....😀👍🏻🇺🇸

Comment

Okay, I put some ink to paper. Also, pictures. More to come...

Comment

Awesome can’t wait for your review.

They look great....!!!

I’m thinking of picking up a second sub to set the 752’s on the subwoofers instead of investing more money into 24 inch stands.

Is there any issue with setting left and right speakers on top of a subwoofer and using the subs as speaker stands? I’m not sure if the vibration from the subs will have a negative impact on the left and right channel speakers. Maybe a isolation pad under the speaker would help with any vibrations.

Many thanks for your time spent on reviewing the 752’s.
                    Last edited by Ehill; 08-15-2020, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
                      Looking forward to the review.
                      Me too. Enough suspense.

(Anyone mind if this thread is moved to the Reviews forum?)

Comment

Jon has a very nice Italian made “18-Sound“ Compression Driver with a pure Titanium diaphragm in the 700 series.

A inside look of 18 Sound factory tour.

A very high tech and passionate company located in northern Italy.

Comment

How did you attach the speakers to the stands?

Comment

Originally posted by Ehill View Post
                            Awesome can’t wait for your review.

They look great....!!!

I’m thinking of picking up a second sub to set the 752’s on the subwoofers instead of investing more money into 24 inch stands.

Is there any issue with setting left and right speakers on top of a subwoofer and using the subs as speaker stands? I’m not sure if the vibration from the subs will have a negative impact on the left and right channel speakers. Maybe a isolation pad under the speaker would help with any vibrations.

Many thanks for your time spent on reviewing the 752’s.
                            That’s actually a great solution. You’ll want to decouple the two boxes, as you mentioned. You can do this with some 2” sorbothane domes or a foam sheet pretty economically. Two birds with one stone.

Many JTR and Seaton owners do this with great success.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGief View Post
                              How did you attach the speakers to the stands?
                              I just set them on top. Not the best thing but it worked. Sound was just fine, but the Pangea DS400 or Monoprice Monolith would have been a lot more stable.

Comment

Working...
                              X