Chane L Series Interest Thread and List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the update Jon.

While we wait, what are the best options to complete my front sound stage in my dedicated 15x25 room with the L6 I have? It looks like L3c is not available, is it possible some might become available even as B-Stock?. Would it be possible to use the L6 in a vertical configuration as L/R or would it be better to just use the L3?

As always thanks for your input.

Doug

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

Yes, the thread could use an update. Where to begin...

First, so much has changed since the start of this series that it's never going to fit into a digestible summary. The L Series was conceived as a signature line and in fact even with limited product went places even we didn't expect. The concept at least has been proved. L's design and tuning are rock solid.

The trouble has been in supply chain issues worsened by pandemic years. At the same time both the original A Series and the 700 Series are reaching for next-gen work, which consumes schedules and logistics. L only needs to explore the means of raising it to consistent throughput and the deluxe cabinets - and we'd prefer, a distinctively superior acoustical result all over again - but there's a lot to that.

Which brings us to today. To answer your question, we now have samples of the hardwood and veneer-core cabinets on hand. Those models are L2, L2c, L3, and L3c. L6 and L7 don't need that proof of concept just yet. The smaller models tell us what we need to know.

Next come drivers. In short, with maybe one or two exceptions we won't use the SB Acoustics companies for drivers (or cabinets) again. We need vastly better maintenance of production and vastly improved timeliness and costing and we have no reason to think that's coming. However, when some doors close other doors open. We're close to a range of replacement components that raise the bar beyond even these excellent drivers, and over the next few months we hope to lay them in to prepare for a relaunch.

Until that happens we shouldn't promote new parts and pieces here; we need the whole package and to that end we're assembling the elements as they come in. Once the lineup has been fully repopulated we'll start up the L Series journal in the forum again and go forward. Should that not happen, we can't. Over the last few years everything's changed, including our online methods.

That said, the L Series is definitely alive. When and if it returns it'll have dialed up virtually every element in the systems. That's the best way to continue it as the signature of our finest medium-sized lineup. Those who have used the 2021 L Series already know what that means.
      Regarding SB, they can't be: off spec, refusing to fill purchase orders, late on delivery, canceling orders without even telling you that they canceled them (for months), flawed QC, and both raising prices WHILE extending delivery dates..... they can't be all that AND keep somebody's business.

I have heard that they have lost the business of several widely known speaker brands that used them for over a decade. Brands that rhyme with "fineaudio", "breville", "jay beee elle", "Dollleee", etc etc etc have recently fired this OEM and their driver manufacturing section (SBA). This OEM was an industry STALWART and should have been a sure-bet (they certainly used to be).
      Last edited by BufordTJustice; 10-20-2022, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post
        Regarding SB, they can't be: off spec, refusing to fill purchase orders, late on delivery, canceling orders without even telling you that they canceled them (for months), flawed QC, and both raising prices WHILE extending delivery dates..... they can't w all that AND keep your business.
        Somewhat on that note, see a remark on a new, revitalized Chane L Series here, and a postmortem on the first L Series production here.

Comment

• Jon will the woofers be something similar to flax/fiberglass sandwich cones like the focal or the triangle? How soon will you get prototypes so you can throw them in a box and listen (I know there will be a lot of fine tuning later, Its what you do) Still waiting after all these years :)

Comment

• The next-gen woofers are loaded paper - glass and cellulose slurry. Hard but not to the point of metal. We're adding bass reflex to L7 and L6 so the final product picks up extended bass at no cost to sensitivity. The motors also have well-managed reactances so the general philosophy is very similar to today's L Series. Looking forward to using them - the build quality is really good.

Comment

• Jon do you think 2023 is realistic for the l7 or do you think they will be pushed to 2024

Comment

• Originally posted by 1st Time Caller View Post
                Jon do you think 2023 is realistic for the l7 or do you think they will be pushed to 2024
                We've just finalized the special treble driver, one of a precious few drivers anywhere capable of standing with the current 29mm ringdome and which completes the driver list for the second gen L Series. We'll know more about timing after the first of the year, including about the special veneered cabinets, the line's biggest change by far.

I can't foresee 2024 under any circumstances. In fact, we may just release the new L3 and L3c cabinets in a small batch around the current designs, which frankly are about as competitive and musically natural as anything anywhere near their price points. One of audio's best-kept secrets.

But in all cases, more when we have it. We always post it here first...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

We've just finalized the special treble driver, one of a precious few drivers anywhere capable of standing with the current 29mm ringdome and which completes the driver list for the second gen L Series. We'll know more about timing after the first of the year, including about the special veneered cabinets, the line's biggest change by far.

I can't foresee 2024 under any circumstances. In fact, we may just release the new L3 and L3c cabinets in a small batch around the current designs, which frankly are about as competitive and musically natural as anything anywhere near their price points. One of audio's best-kept secrets.

But in all cases, more when we have it. We always post it here first...
                  Do you expect the new L7s to match well with the current L6? I'm loving my L6, I just need something to go with it. My 20 year old Def Techs are passable, but I can't wait to complete my front soundstage with something on par with the L6.

Comment

Working...
                  X