• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mitch_Petersen View Post

You've probably seen it, but Jon posted an update here
    I hadn't yet. Thanks!

Comment

• Has there been any discussions on the L3C’s sound stage and other characteristics?

* I’m guessing the sound stage would be wide and precise with the SB Acoustics ring tweeter and mid woofers. I’m sure they image superbly as well.

* I’m thinking with the SB drivers that these speakers bring out all the details in the music recordings. I enjoy all the little hidden details in the recording so I’m excited to hear these.

* How is the L3C with dialogue when watching movies?

* How are they in the dynamic range category for movies?
      Will they get the job done for some movie watching?

* Is the L3c using a 2nd order crossover? Are they using air-core inductors and polypropylene capacitors. Are there any iron-core inductors and electrolytic capacitors?

* What is the weight of each L3C’s?

* I couldn’t locate the power handling of the L3c.

* Are you using the SB Acoustics SB29RDNC tweeters in the L series?

* Would you say the L3C’s have a smooth airy top end like the Chane A5.5?

* Since every speaker has strength and weaknesses and there always has to be compromises in speaker design. What are the strengths and weaknesses for the L3c?

Just trying to kill some time with some questions.

Jon I’m back on the L3C’s again lol. I really wanted the 752’s to work for our living room / movie room. I even built three 752’s out of a cardboard and taped them all up to demo a mock setup for the wife. I set them up in the room and also did the same with the L3C’s. The wife liked the L3C’s cardboard box mock setup over the 752’s for our multi purpose room.

December is going to be an exciting month with the release of the new L series.

Thanks again....!!!
      Last edited by Ehill; 11-23-2020, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ehill View Post
        Has there been any discussions on the L3C’s sound stage and other characteristics?
        I think there may be a review this week or next.

As far as HT dynamics, think of the L3c is roughly an A2.4 but in a size larger acoustical class. Add a sub and they'll make a big convincing sound but they won't meet a 752, which is in an even larger size class with a horn treble system.

Beyond that I'll just say that we don't discuss how we design but I can say that all of our models use high quality crossover parts. All models are optimized to our specific design goals too. Their image and soundstage relate as much to that design as to the individual drivers.

A subjective review should be able to put sound into perspective.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

I think there may be a review this week or next.

As far as HT dynamics, think of the L3c is roughly an A2.4 but in a size larger acoustical class. Add a sub and they'll make a big convincing sound but they won't meet a 752, which is in an even larger size class with a horn treble system.

Beyond that I'll just say that we don't discuss how we design but I can say that all of our models use high quality crossover parts. All models are optimized to our specific design goals too. Their image and soundstage relate as much to that design as to the individual drivers.

A subjective review should be able to put sound into perspective.
          Ok great thanks...

Comment

• Since the L3C’s are an evolution of the older Dana series that started with the SB Acoustic drivers. I’m thinking that the L series will have an amazing sound stage with great off axis response. They will be able to fill the room with beautiful sound and details and they won’t color badly recorded music. If you have well recorded music you will be greatly rewarded with great sound with a lot of details.

The Dana 640i and the 630i LCR were amazing.
            I’m sure the new L series with the new tech, design \ engineering and new SB Acoustics drivers are going to be something special.

Hopefully December will be the magical month that they start shipping out.

Thanks Jon...!
            Last edited by Ehill; 11-23-2020, 09:01 PM.

Comment

I’m sure the new L series with the new tech and new SB Acoustics drivers are going to be something special.
              I hope you like them. They are a level above the Danas in things like tweeter and design tech, so expect more goodness. Dana used the first-gen 25mm dome while Chane L's use the 29mm ringdome. General design and tune are different as well.

I think the transparency and dynamic life or body are excellent, and the disappearing act has come up a rung too. We're quite pleased with what the last few years has produced in terms of refinement.

We'll get them moving shortly. Down to the last steps, finally.

Comment

• I never knew you designed the Dana’s until yesterday. I’ve always bounced between this L series form and the 700 series.

I clicked on this thread yesterday and read through it.
                That’s when I ran across the Dana speakers.

https://forum.chanemusiccinema.com/f...chane-l-series

Funny story...

I have a family member that purchased some Dana 640i’s at an estate auction many years ago. Every time I visit my uncle I would sit back in his listening room for hours listening to the 640’s. I loved the sound of the 640’s. Now that I know that you designed the Dana 640’s and they used SB Acoustics drivers. I’m even more excited to hear the new L series signature line. The fit and finish on the Dana’s was excellent and the sound was just amazing to my ears.

It looks like the L series is going to have many of the characteristics of the Dana speakers but on a higher level.

Awesome can’t wait....!

Comment

• Hi Jon,

Is there any chance that your using that magical SB Acoustic midbass driver that you used in the Dana 640’s with that natural fiber cone in the new L3 and L3C’s? The Dana 640 driver had that cone stiffness that made the high for bass reproduction and light and shaped for very extended high frequency response they also had fantastic resolution & very low distortion.

What a great SB-A mid bass driver that was....!

That would sound great with the low distortion high resolution SB29RDNC 29mm ring dome tweeter from SB Acoustics.

I’m sure if it’s not the same mid bass driver you’ve found an even better SB-A driver for the L3 and the L3C’s 😀👍🏻.

Comment

Is there any chance that your using that magical SB Acoustic midbass driver that you used in the Dana 640’s with that natural fiber cone in the new L3 and L3C’s?
                    No, we upgraded to the superior MFC poly-graphite cone, their best sounding series shy of Satori. It uses the same motor as the Danas for that very linear electrical behavior and very high frequency extension, but it has the smoothest and most uniform response up there. Insiders prefer it. It may be the only poly cone that sounds better than its paper counterpart. (The Danas used the first gen NRX paper cone and we were the first brand to use SB. SB replaced it with their current paper drivers, I believe.)

The aluminum NAC version's breakup limits it to bass, and the so-called ceramic CAC driver, which just has a treated aluminum cone, has a chaotic response above breakup. Both are unsuited for our models (and I'd argue for high end 2-way speakers in general). The MFC is the preferred midbass driver and the L3 and L3c 2-way designs take advantage of its better response and sound.

The L6 and L7 use the Norex midrange cones and aluminum NAC bass cones.

Comment

• Put me down for pair of 7's and a 6.

Comment

• New room is up and functional. Subject to minor tweaks and a new isolation transformer that FedEx is bringing me (Topaz Ultra Isolator 2.4kva transformer with .001pf interwinding capacitance).

Placement of the L3c’s isn’t final, but it’s probably close. You have to do dumb things to get these to NOT image like a hologram generator. Lol.... so I’m getting pinpoint imaging and just a cavernous soundstage.... but the intimate stuff still sounds intimate. 👍
                        Last edited by BufordTJustice; 11-27-2020, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I never knew you designed the Dana’s until yesterday. I’ve always bounced between this L series form and the 700 series.

I clicked on this thread yesterday and read through it.
                          That’s when I ran across the Dana speakers.

https://forum.chanemusiccinema.com/f...chane-l-series

Funny story...

I have a family member that purchased some Dana 640i’s at an estate auction many years ago. Every time I visit my uncle I would sit back in his listening room for hours listening to the 640’s. I loved the sound of the 640’s. Now that I know that you designed the Dana 640’s and they used SB Acoustics drivers. I’m even more excited to hear the new L series signature line. The fit and finish on the Dana’s was excellent and the sound was just amazing to my ears.

It looks like the L series is going to have many of the characteristics of the Dana speakers but on a higher level.

Awesome can’t wait....!
                          As Jon said, the Dana line was the *VERY FIRST* use of SB Acoustics drivers in a commercial product. Ever.

Jon has had a long and successful relationship with SB that continues with the L Series. I actually don’t know a person who is more familiar with the SB lineup than Jon. Madisound should hire him. 😂👍

Comment

• Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post
                            New room is up and functional. Subject to minor tweaks and a new isolation transformer that FedEx is bringing me (Topaz Ultra Isolator 2.4kva transformer with .001pf interwinding capacitance).

Placement of the L3c’s isn’t final, but it’s probably close. You have to do dumb things to get these to NOT image like a hologram generator. Lol.... so I’m getting pinpoint imaging and just a cavernous soundstage.... but the intimate stuff still sounds intimate. 👍
                            Is that a 30 foot ceiling?

Dang did you get the top floor penthouse with your own private elevator 😀👍🏻.

I’m sure the views are great.

I’m sure the wife is happy, I don’t see any chancletas coming your way for a very long time 😂😂😂😂.

Very nice looking congratulations.

Comment

Is that a 30 foot ceiling?

Dang did you get the top floor penthouse with your own private elevator 😀👍🏻.

I’m sure the views are great.

I’m sure the wife is happy, I don’t see any chancletas coming your way for a very long time 😂😂😂😂.

Very nice looking congratulations.
                              20ft. Same same. I can’t reach the ceiling with my extendo-pole for the lights. 😂 might as well be 30.

Top floor, yes. Private elevator... you think I’m made of money, don’t you. 😂😂😂💩

I’m now in a little downtown area, in a valley, East of Seattle. Views are solid. Wife LOVES it.

Due to moving stress, I have hidden all chancletas. 😉🤕

Comment

• Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post
                                New room is up and functional. Subject to minor tweaks and a new isolation transformer that FedEx is bringing me (Topaz Ultra Isolator 2.4kva transformer with .001pf interwinding capacitance).

They look really nice. I went ahead and took a leap of faith by ordering a pair of 28 inch speaker stands. The more I think about it, I think the walnut finish on the L3c's will be fine and since I'm about to turn 70, I'd better get new speakers while I can still appreciate them!

Comment

Working...
                                X