This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jwskud View Post
    Heck, if they even come close, they L's will still be big winners! Those S400s are expensive!!

Chane = value. Excellent fidelity that can exceed/match/approach much more expensive speakers, at much lower cost. Why pay more?
    I prefer the L3c’s to the S400’s. Significantly better imaging and soundstage. No weird resonances. Really dynamic.

The S400’s are 88dB sensitive at 4 ohms. The L3c’s are 90dB at a true 8 ohms. So they are quite a bit more sensitive in electrical terms. I’m pretty sure they’re bigger as well. So this makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post

I prefer the L3c’s to the S400’s. Significantly better imaging and soundstage. No weird resonances. Really dynamic.

The S400’s are 88dB sensitive at 4 ohms. The L3c’s are 90dB at a true 8 ohms. So they are quite a bit more sensitive in electrical terms. I’m pretty sure they’re bigger as well. So this makes sense.
      I’m really anxious to hear the L series!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post
        We have a holiday weekend update for everyone. The initial L order arrived this week for final assembly, test, and packaging. Production is commencing and since this is the easy part, we don't except too many issues, at least that we can't solve. Once we have throughput we'll also have the final BOM and from that can determine rollout prices.

As I noted in the 700 series and subwoofer threads, we have a new website with these products mostly prepared. Whether we launch the L models with it or before it publishes we don't know, but we will launch. We'll notify you here, on Twitter, and with our usual newsletter, which will resume 2020 with its first edition with this product launch. In fact, expect three newsletters, one each for the subs, the 700 Series and then for the L Series, in approximately that order, back to back.

There is one snag, however, although I don't think it's a severe one. Through the Covid-19 crisis some supply chains had taken things cautiously, among them the US supply for the high end SB Acoustics drivers used in the L models. We've snapped them all up but we'll have to resort to flying more in from abroad in order to populate all of the L cabinets we have in production. This could interrupt us from time to time (and it'll surely cost Chane more) but I don't see it causing a long term interruption, if any interruption at all.

Cabinet-wise we'll bang the reorder button just as soon as we see a run rate for these models. We intent to carefully tune our just-in-time process with all costs in order to make L a value leader, even if it is in a rarefied performance strata. The second cabinet production, for those of you who had been watching for this, will be all-black. The front and back milled baffles remain the same for both flavors, but part of the plan had always been to offer finish options for the casework between them. Both areas - the end baffles and the casework between them - are executed using a very modern option set and we intend to exploit it and move into as many case finishes as the fine balance between customer demand and lowest fulfillment cost allows. But the second order is all-black, so if you're leanign that way, it's coming.

More will post here when we have it. Links to purchase pages will follow, and for the list in the first post in this thread, so too will coupon codes. Thanks for hanging in there. I really like this stuff and I hope you do too. Oh, and expect some reviews. I'm sure they'll occur.
        I understand being a small company and some Covid related delays, but 5 months ago it looked like we were pretty close to having production models available. I'm glad some 700 models have been released, but I'm starting to lose faith that we'll see the L's released before the end of the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spidacat View Post
          I understand being a small company and some Covid related delays, but 5 months ago it looked like we were pretty close to having production models available. I'm glad some 700 models have been released, but I'm starting to lose faith that we'll see the L's released before the end of the year.
          The end of the year is ten weeks away. Having launched the 700s three weeks ago, we're just settling a few last minute items for Ls.

Comment

• Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post
            The L3c’s are 90dB at a true 8 ohms. So they are quite a bit more sensitive in electrical terms. I’m pretty sure they’re bigger as well.
            They're twice as big as a speaker half their size. ;o) The L3 is the classic 6.5" stand monitor but the L3c's two 6.5" total approximately as much cone area as an A5.5...

Comment

• Cool, I've been saving some vacation for delivery, setup, and extended listening, but can't carry it over to next year. I also didn't want to burn it just sitting around the house. I've also been wanting to do some more REW tweaking but have been putting it off since I'll probably have to make additional adjustments once new mains are added. I always have trouble getting REW running, although I'm hoping the "new" FlexASIO drivers might help.

Comment

The end of the year is ten weeks away. Having launched the 700s three weeks ago, we're just settling a few last minute items for Ls.
                Hi Jon,

Do you think the black ash version of the L3c will be delivered before the new year?

Have you received any updates for the cabinet builders?

Just trying to judge if the black ash L3C’s are right around the corner.

Thanks...

Comment

• I haven't been following the 700 series too closely - but I was perusing the thread while waiting for information on the L series to finalize. I may have misread things - but it seems that the 700 series currently sold is not the final revision (or am I misreading that?). Instead, the 'final'/'standardized' revision will trade lower extension for output.

Is a similar near future revision for the L series planned? Or is this first batch representative of what will be available for sale for the foreseeable future?

Also, I'm having enormous difficulty trying to determine if L6 + L7 is a more suitable front vs L3Cs. I intend to eventually have a 2nd subwoofer for the system, but from experience getting subs to perfectly integrate in a system is...challenging. There's an appeal of the simplicity running 2.0 stereo for music - I'm not sure how much extension the L3Cs would give up to L7s. Alternatively, assuming (eventual) well integrated subs, I'm not sure how the L7 + L6 would compare vs the L3Cs.

I've had too much time to sit here and ponder myself around in circles, I'm afraid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spidacat View Post

As a long time Arx/Chane customers, I can assure you this is normal. Jon is more of a "when it's done right" than a "**** it - let's Ship It!" builder, which considering this is a static hardware investment, is refreshing. Patience is a virtue and I am confident the value prop will be worth waiting for. (I have an apartment full of various A series, soon to be a house coupled with L series as well).

Comment

• Originally posted by Meander View Post
                      I haven't been following the 700 series too closely - but I was perusing the thread while waiting for information on the L series to finalize. I may have misread things - but it seems that the 700 series currently sold is not the final revision (or am I misreading that?). Instead, the 'final'/'standardized' revision will trade lower extension for output.

Is a similar near future revision for the L series planned? Or is this first batch representative of what will be available for sale for the foreseeable future?

Also, I'm having enormous difficulty trying to determine if L6 + L7 is a more suitable front vs L3Cs. I intend to eventually have a 2nd subwoofer for the system, but from experience getting subs to perfectly integrate in a system is...challenging. There's an appeal of the simplicity running 2.0 stereo for music - I'm not sure how much extension the L3Cs would give up to L7s. Alternatively, assuming (eventual) well integrated subs, I'm not sure how the L7 + L6 would compare vs the L3Cs.

I've had too much time to sit here and ponder myself around in circles, I'm afraid.
                      As I recall Jon said Scanspeak stopped building the 753/752 driver. And so there was a need to select a different driver to continue the 700 line.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ehill View Post
                        Do you think the black ash version of the L3c will be delivered before the new year?
                        I suspect they're a Q1 2021 product, Ehill. We'll organize a second production of various models soon and will update the thread what they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meander View Post
                          ...it seems that the 700 series currently sold is not the final revision (or am I misreading that?). Instead, the 'final'/'standardized' revision will trade lower extension for output.
                          The 752 and 753 are limited editions totaling 300-400 units combined. We're also prototyping a second gen using heavier duty drivers, which will increase efficiency and thermal power handling. Same cabinet for 753, shorter cabinet for 752. Same treble sections. Higher output, higher cost.

Originally posted by Meander View Post
                          Is a similar near future revision for the L series planned?
                          No. Cabinet options may expand but the models are fixed.

Originally posted by Meander View Post
                          Honestly, the L3c - as the largest 2-way - has more in common with the L7 than it might seem. The L7 is twice the acoustical size, but gives up some of that advantage by not being bass reflex - the extra free extension is not there in the L7, which gets its extension through a combination of that greater size and the floor reflection and the mutual radiation resistance of twice the woofer count.

The L3c - as another MTM, like the L7's upper - has the usual advantage of a good 2-way, if I may say; and there's a lot to recommend good 2-ways. It makes a striking soundstage, the product of the simpler design and its lower phase characteristic. It tends to build a vivid presence through the meat of the soundstage, I think, where the L7 gets an extra degree of sophistication and extreme image projection through all that cone area and some other intangible. They are more alike than different, still the L3c is for me vivid and energetic where the L7 is separated, broad, and very easy-sounding. Not a huge distinction but there's something going on here. They're definitely siblings.

Comment

• Originally posted by marksman View Post
                            As a long time Arx/Chane customers, I can assure you this is normal. Jon is more of a "when it's done right" than a "**** it - let's Ship It!" builder, which considering this is a static hardware investment, is refreshing. Patience is a virtue and I am confident the value prop will be worth waiting for. (I have an apartment full of various A series, soon to be a house coupled with L series as well).
                            Thank you. We've always said we do this idealistically and not for the mad online speaker money.

But to be fair, all this has taken too long. The irony is that it's been because we have so much planned and because we're trying to combine small batch output with the economies of scale at the large OEM level. It's how a big 753, for example, ends up being a sub-$1000 speaker instead of the $1500 speaker it'd otherwise be. And so on through the lines.

We're not going to announce any more models - other in some hinting - before their time either. There are a lot of things in the works but I prefer to give them air time just before they come into ready stock.

Thank you for understanding. This is part of a plan that if it works will actually improve times to market for newer stuff...

Comment

The 752 and 753 are limited editions totaling 300-400 units combined. We're also prototyping a second gen using heavier duty drivers, which will increase efficiency and thermal power handling. Same cabinet for 753, shorter cabinet for 752. Same treble sections. Higher output, higher cost.

No. Cabinet options may expand but the models are fixed.

Honestly, the L3c - as the largest 2-way - has more in common with the L7 than it might seem. The L7 is twice the acoustical size, but gives up some of that advantage by not being bass reflex - the extra free extension is not there in the L7, which gets its extension through a combination of that greater size and the floor reflection and the mutual radiation resistance of twice the woofer count.

The L3c - as another MTM, like the L7's upper - has the usual advantage of a good 2-way, if I may say; and there's a lot to recommend good 2-ways. It makes a striking soundstage, the product of the simpler design and its lower phase characteristic. It tends to build a vivid presence through the meat of the soundstage, I think, where the L7 gets an extra degree of sophistication and extreme image projection through all that cone area and some other intangible. They are more alike than different, still the L3c is for me vivid and energetic where the L7 is separated, broad, and very easy-sounding. Not a huge distinction but there's something going on here. They're definitely siblings.
                              300 to 400 units of 753 and 752....!!!

WOW .....I was wondering how many of these models you guys had to build, tune and get ready for shipping.

That’s a lot of work....!!!!

I’m sure there are so many other things that go on behind the scenes that so many of us are unaware of.

Thanks Jon and all the employees at Chane Music & Cinema.

Comment

• Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                                Hi

Add me to the list.

Thanks
                                Hey Chane M&C, I do not see my name in the table list up front, please add me.

Comment

Working...
                                X