This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post
    Long time in the works - 4 years, on and off - but with the platforms in place we're excited.
    We're hoping to relaunch next week, the Internet fates allowing. Thanks for being aboard and hanging in there.
    Congratulations!

Comment

• Product update: I try not to talk about new models before they happen anymore because of risk we'll run afoul of a customer's schedule. On the other hand, in order to assist customer planning we have to balance that with open disclosure. If for example you're considering some L3's but want a small center to go with them, this is the view from in here on such a small center speaker. And so on and so on.

With that in mind, this is the L series list, both existing, upcoming, and possible. I owed this info to the thread because I don't recall making a list of all four original L models before, just the largest two.

L7 is in production in walnut-look with black.

The matching L6 is a large horizontal center speaker, also in walnut-look and black.

L3c is a twin 6.5"MTM/LCR, meaning midbass-treble-midbass speaker for left, center, and right channels. Use vertically or horizontally. Same finish as above.

L3 is a classic large stand speaker with one 6.5" midbass. Same finish as above.

All four use SB Acoustics drivers throughout. L7 and L6 use aluminum bass drivers and special Nomex-coned dedicated midrange drivers, and L3c and L3 use mineral-filled poly midbass drivers (said by those who know these things to be the best overall sounding midbass type in the SB range.). All use SB's excellent 29mm ring dome. All feature attention to the internal design aspects that lend them very large soundstages and excellent imaging. That was our aim from the start and we've got it.

Additional finish shall be black ash-look, which we'd like to get to in a second production that we're planning now.

We're also investigating a premium hardwood option to leverage our OEM capacity for best look and value. Looks exciting. Should this option occur it will come at an upcharge.

Also in the works - in this case, about to be prototyped - are the following models. If you needed greater model flexibility to complete a system, they may help.

L2c is a twin 5.25" midwoofered version of the L3c. About half the internal air volume and a size smaller drivers. This model uses a 21mm ringdome tweeter.

L2 is a classic 5.25""bookshelf" speaker, in the same size class as our A1.5. 21mm ringdome tweeter.

And L1c is a twin 4.5" small version of the L2c, another MTM/LCR speaker for compact systems. 21mm tweeter.

These last three small models may arrive first in the premium finishes.

Disclaimer: We are not committed to anything beyond the first four models in the original finish. Do not make your plans on this basis. No dates offered or promised, and no costs or prices known. This is all work in progress and we'll always update you here first.

Comment

• Mr. Lane,

Do you have any intention of making an 8" speaker for the L line? I'm eager to purchase an L7 based system (although, admittedly, I'm swayed somewhat by the recent praise of the 700 line...to the point that I wonder if the L series has much to offer over its 700 brethren), but am curious if an 8" premium speaker is in the cards at some point.

I only ask because you made the mistake of making a very fine set of LCR A2rxc speakers for me to use to tide me over. And I am very patient.

Comment

• Attached is an actual photo of me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meander View Post
            Do you have any intention of making an 8" speaker for the L line? I'm eager to purchase an L7 based system (although, admittedly, I'm swayed somewhat by the recent praise of the 700 line...to the point that I wonder if the L series has much to offer over its 700 brethren), but am curious if an 8" premium speaker is in the cards at some point.

I only ask because you made the mistake of making a very fine set of LCR A2rxc speakers for me to use to tide me over. And I am very patient.
            Thank you. We're humbled by the time it's taken as well as excited by what that time has delivered.

I don't see the L range going up a size into 8" woofers. The natural home for the larger driver is the 700 range, and while its multiple-woofer models probably won't get into 10" sizes or larger, we have a single-10" model we're speculating in for the 700 class.

However we had a long conversation just yesterday about a retail dealer line which if it comes about would be anchored by a couple of 8" models. Very premium stuff, and little or no ID sales, but we already know about what it'd acoustically do and how. It's justified.

Which comes back to the L7. It's not the loudest model - the 753 wins that title with the 752 close behind - bit it may be the biggest apparent sound. It has a very large, spacious, sophisticated sound by comparison to a stand speaker. There's something to a lot of cone area that delivers that sense of scale and scope that appears nowhere in the measured data. I strongly disagree with the view that a stand speaker plus a sub is ever inherently the better solution.

If that's true, and with the right technology on the shelf, a multi-driver 8" floor speaker makes a lot of sense. Maybe we'll get into making that 1000 series I've been slowly developing ever since the Dana 900 series stuff sold through way back when. Maybe we need to finance that level.

And there are some other things in the works too, but L probably tops out at the L7. It fits the bill and it turned out a solid level above and beyond the original A7 concept.

Comment

• That really interesting. Especially:

However we had a long conversation just yesterday about a retail dealer line which if it comes about would be anchored by a couple of 8" models. Very premium stuff, and little or no ID sales, but we already know about what it'd acoustically do and how. It's justified.
              Not ID + retail + very premium --- we aren't thinking breaking into the 5 figure a pair for this halo line, are we?

I admit I'm sucker for big drivers, and the reason doesn't have anything with facts, acoustics, science... rather simply that I have many fond memories as a child of going to my grandparents who had a stereo pair of something big, and they would play opera on holidays, and it was beautiful. Couldn't tell you the brand, the driver size, or anything else meaningful. But my memory wants to put them in the 12"-15" driver range. So for all of the love I have for Chane, it's biggest competition are some horned monsters from JBL or Klispch just because of the rose tinted glasses I love to wear.

So there's a part of me that wants to marry these things. Chane, horns, and large drivers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meander View Post
                I admit I'm sucker for big drivers, and the reason doesn't have anything with facts, acoustics, science... rather simply that I have many fond memories as a child of going to my grandparents who had a stereo pair of something big, and they would play opera on holidays, and it was beautiful.

So there's a part of me that wants to marry these things. Chane, horns, and large drivers.
                Oh man, you've really struck a chord. I'm with you on a bunch of levels. Mentioned it here.

It is a beautiful sound, the sound of enormous headroom, ease, and sophistication. Done right it may be in the very top.

It's pricey, though. The drivers cost a few thousand, entry level, and the horn and cabinet add many hundreds more. There's but maybe one 15" on the market today that would do it justice, assuming we avoid the very costly super class. They're out there too.

It's interesting. Would love to go there...

PS: We have a new pair of these on hand, with stands. I'd like to redesign their crossovers and make them shine...

Comment

• Damm, Jon thought you were posting that the website was up to order. Oh well should be just a little more time. I love big woofers too. My first speakers when I was 17 were advents which were very sweet at the time. I had a Yamaha receiver (a whole 35 watts a channel but clean) and a bic turntable and I was in heaven. Cut my teeth on led zep, black sabbath, deep purple, the who and pink Floyd. I had some friends who got better and better equipment and never lost my love for speakers. I sometimes see legacy whispers on sale for 3k and am tempted (Multiple 15 inch woofers per speaker) but don't have the amp to drive them nor the space to do them justice. I will just have to be happy with the L's and their accurate and musical bass (a little help from my hsu v15 to shake the house a bit for HT) Thanks Jon just sell me my speakers and keep dreaming and designing, you make the audio world a better place.

Comment

• Hi Jon,

Question...

What makes the Danis SB Acoustics woofers and tweeters that are in the new L and 700 series so good?

I’ve seen so many amazing reviews on the SB Acoustic line of woofers and tweeters.

I was wondering what you’ve personally noticed on what makes the SB Acoustics speakers sail so much higher than the competition.

SB Acoustics makes some beautiful sounding mid woofers and tweeters.

Thanks
                    Last edited by Ehill; 09-15-2020, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ehill View Post
                      What makes the Danish SB Acoustics woofers and tweeters that are in the new L and 700 series so good?
                      The 700 models use a combination of drivers from ScanSpeak and prosound.

The L models use SB Acoustics drivers throughout. If you think of a driver for what it is, which is a moving mechanical system with electrical characteristics, SB Acoustics comes from the extreme end of the spectrum where the moving system is very lightly and linearly suspended and the electrical system has very low reactance. Together these terms make the driver sensitive to the signal drive, which is to say the amplifier.

It's that responsiveness that gives these drivers their excellent micro-dynamics, or as some call it, downward dynamic range. When we say they have extraordinary retrieval of musical subtleties, that's what we're referring go.

From there we use the aluminum coned drivers for bass duty, the mineral poly cones for midbass, Nomex cones for midrange, and the big 29mm ringdome for the extended treble bandwidth we need to reach our design goals. We also use special design techniques to minimize the footprint of characteristics beyond simple amplitude.

Together they add up to an expansive, open sound, which is an outgrowth of the A series models and take L to the next level. SB Acoustics drivers have the musical sensitivity we need to make it all work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

The 700 models use a combination of drivers from ScanSpeak and prosound.

The L models use SB Acoustics drivers throughout. If you think of a driver for what it is, which is a moving mechanical system with electrical characteristics, SB Acoustics comes from the extreme end of the spectrum where the moving system is very lightly and linearly suspended and the electrical system has very low reactance. Together these terms make the driver sensitive to the signal drive, which is to say the amplifier.

It's that responsiveness that gives these drivers their excellent micro-dynamics, or as some call it, downward dynamic range. When we say they have extraordinary retrieval of musical subtleties, that's what we're referring go.

From there we use the aluminum coned drivers for bass duty, the mineral poly cones for midbass, Nomex cones for midrange, and the big 29mm ringdome for the extended treble bandwidth we need to reach our design goals. We also use special design techniques to minimize the footprint of characteristics beyond simple amplitude.

Together they add up to an expansive, open sound, which is an outgrowth of the A series models and take L to the next level. SB Acoustics drivers have the musical sensitivity we need to make it all work.
                        Awesome and thank you very much...!!!

Comment

• Don't know if this has been mentioned yet; the L7 (and 753) use the same machined aluminum and stainless hardware as the A5.5 and A5.4.

Click image for larger version

Name:	L7 foot.png
Views:	244
Size:	553.9 KB
ID:	116258

Comment

• If you think of a driver for what it is, which is a moving mechanical system with electrical characteristics, SB Acoustics comes from the extreme end of the spectrum where the moving system is very lightly and linearly suspended and the electrical system has very low reactance
                            So good compliance with low Le. How's the damping? I'd guess highish Qms, lowish Qes, for a middling Qts. There's a lot of flexibility with a driver like that. You can have a decent F3 without too large of box, and go sealed or ported depending on the application. I was glad to see you were going to use SBA drivers in the L series way back when.

Can you expand on the crossover section? I'm interested in the L3 in particular.

Thanks, I hope all is well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vergiliusm View Post
                              So good compliance with low Le. How's the damping? I'd guess highish Qms, lowish Qes, for a middling Qts. There's a lot of flexibility with a driver like that. You can have a decent F3 without too large of box, and go sealed or ported depending on the application. I was glad to see you were going to use SBA drivers in the L series way back when.

Can you expand on the crossover section? I'm interested in the L3 in particular.
                              Yes, good compliance with low Le, more or less. The light moving assembly is inherently damped by a moderate ratio of mass to compliance, and the motor isn't as riveted to the cone as it was in some extreme driver classes going back many decades. They had flat wire coils and machined gaps for low electrical losses, whereas the SB have some copper in the gap. That trade both manages the total Q as well as providing the response and distortion characteristics that allow what counts*, which is the design type. They're still electrically responsive - contributing to the fine detail and natural tone - but not extremely so such that the bass goes away.

The L models actually began with the large tweeter to enable L's design type, and then extended SB through the bottom drivers. The L6/7 woofers are the embossed aluminum types for good bass, while the L3/3c are the mineral poly cones, which are the best sounding of the standard SB line. The aluminum-ceramic cones are much too chaotic for 2-ways of this type, and Dana's original paper cones didn't offer a specific acoustical advantage. A lot has changed since then.

I don't have a lot to share about the design, although it is the product of a deep dive over the long development cycle. There are a few holes in the conventional wisdom, and after acoustically confirming the typical commercial sound to ourselves, we chose a more optimal style for these drivers. L are aimed at larger acoustical pictures, more image insight, and improved tone color. L is not a speaker for patent pending levels, but almost nothing is that uses domes in a moderately-sized speaker. It's also not a speaker for the common pushed, ramped-up sound that can stand out in casual use.

The L3 is a classic large stand monitor, improved as a class, I think, by addressing the things in the design that I mentioned. In vertical stereo pairs L3c adds sensitivity and power to it, with a greater scale and visual picture. They're both nominal 8 ohm loads.

*The standard SB line is also an over-achiever. The Satoris bring a top-shelf European back spider to the driver, and the Neo motor allows some aerodynamic advantages. Cost rises quite a bit for decreasing returns. And naturally the results are typical SB:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170910174131_Figure15-SBAcousticsMR16P-4SatoriMidrange.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	116330

Comment

• Originally posted by 1st Time Caller View Post
                                Damm, Jon thought you were posting that the website was up to order.
                                I've been waved off a week or so, 1st. IT stuff. But we'll never forget about you so please hang in there a little longer.

Comment

Working...
                                X