X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post

The L3c is the 6.5" MTM two way.

This tweeter is REALLY good. 29mm SB Acoustics ring dome. It's actually ~34mm if one considers that it leverages the large surround. This means better dispersion and extension up top and lower distortion/better power handing down low.

But, and you hinted at this Gerry, they don't really sound like anything. At all.

I will say that my old studio monitors (Blue Sky Designs Sat6D's) had ScanSpeak Ring Radiators and these SB 29mm ring domes are absolutely every bit as good... and I suspect they are better. They don't just measure well; they actually SOUND great.
    That's wonderful to hear! I've played around with the SB29RDNC in an automotive setting (2-way active) and absolutely loved it, to the point that I almost jumped on a Zaph 12.3 kit. Too many irons in the fire already, so that sat on the backburner.. until last week when I ordered a set of A5.5, which will arrive tomorrow. Now I'm kicking myself for not waiting and digging into the forum first! Either way, I'm certain I'll be happy with my purchase(s).

Hey Jon, put me down for a pair of L7 and a single L6 please. :)

Comment

• Any chance we could get some more pics of the wood grain finish on the L7 and L6? I’m trying to convince the wife. She prefers the 700 series finish (as do I), but we’re a hard no 👎 on a two way center channel, unfortunately.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gerry View Post
        we’re a hard no 👎 on a two way center channel, unfortunately.
        Is the A-series not an option for you? With the A6.5 that will be around later this fall you could get your black speakers and a three-way center with the A's

Comment

Any chance we could get some more pics of the wood grain finish on the L7 and L6? I’m trying to convince the wife. She prefers the 700 series finish (as do I)...
          Here's a closeup of an L3. The exterior is formed pebble black driver boards over a simulated walnut case. This is a finish style some very large brands are flocking to for its quality, environmental aspects, and endless color choices. The walnut-look is currently #1 on the international popularity list.

This morning we discussed premium finishes again. Currently assessing everything from 100% piano black gloss to exposed endgrain marine plywoods under clear. Fancy veneer choices too.

Originally posted by Gerry View Post
          ...we’re a hard no 👎 on a two way center channel, unfortunately.
          Can't win 'em all. There's a popular bias against them, technologically correct or not, so the 3-way it shall be.

Click image for larger version

Name:	walnutstyle.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	115807

Comment

• Originally posted by Jones82Joshua View Post

That's wonderful to hear! I've played around with the SB29RDNC in an automotive setting (2-way active) and absolutely loved it, to the point that I almost jumped on a Zaph 12.3 kit. Too many irons in the fire already, so that sat on the backburner.. until last week when I ordered a set of A5.5, which will arrive tomorrow. Now I'm kicking myself for not waiting and digging into the forum first! Either way, I'm certain I'll be happy with my purchase(s).

Hey Jon, put me down for a pair of L7 and a single L6 please. :)
            What speakers are you coming from?

Comment

Any chance we could get some more pics of the wood grain finish on the L7 and L6? I’m trying to convince the wife. She prefers the 700 series finish (as do I), but we’re a hard no 👎 on a two way center channel, unfortunately.
              Is there a non-aesthetic reason for this?

Comment

Is there a non-aesthetic reason for this?
                I’m assuming you’re asking about the 3 way preference? Anyhow, yes. To our ears, we have yet to hear a comparable 2 way sound better than a 3 way, especially off axis, which is a majority of our listening scenarios. Also, with the seating arrangement we have in mind, we’ll have the outer extremes at 30 degrees from on-axis listening. This is the worst case scenario, but still a scenario, so the dispersion of the 3 way should be better with wave cancellation/reinforcement of the midrange (AKA “lobing”). There is obviously some merit to this, otherwise the A series wouldn’t be getting a 3 way center channel.

Comment

I’m assuming you’re asking about the 3 way preference? Anyhow, yes. To our ears, we have yet to hear a comparable 2 way sound better than a 3 way, especially off axis, which is a majority of our listening scenarios. Also, with the seating arrangement we have in mind, we’ll have the outer extremes at 30 degrees from on-axis listening. This is the worst case scenario, but still a scenario, so the dispersion of the 3 way should be better with wave cancellation/reinforcement of the midrange (AKA “lobing”). There is obviously some merit to this, otherwise the A series wouldn’t be getting a 3 way center channel.
                  Based on what Chane M&C said here, I think the 3-way center for the A series is for:
                  1) Larger size option at an affordable price. Combined with the A5.5 it will be close to a 3 matching LCR front, like you'd maybe do behind a AT screen for perfectly matched front.
                  2) To some extent, also as an option for people with such bias.

Comment

What speakers are you coming from?
                    At home? Nothing worth writing about.. The now ex-wife was pretty picky about those things, so I spent more time listening to music in the car. I ended up with Bic Dv64/Dv62si almost 10 years ago and am just recently getting around to upgrading. They were good speakers for the price, though she would have rather listened to the tv speakers.
                    Bought the Bic PL-980 about two months ago, they're now fully broken in but I'm still not happy with them - too hot through the midrange, noticeable breakup at higher volume/power. I have a friend who wants them, so they're already sold.

Previous car setup was SB29RDNC and Silver Flutes, 2-way active, ~2.2k crossover @ 12db, 100x4 rms @ 4 ohm, and two SSA XCon 15" subs in a tapered TL on about 2500 rms. Prior to that running CDT HD-M6 midbass. I have another set of SB29RDNC and different CDT mids for the current vehicle, haven't nailed down all of the other specifics on the build yet though.

One of my packages had a delivery setback, so I only have one of my A5.5, (second tower should be here tomorrow) but it's been playing nonstop for the last 4 hours. I will probably let it play overnight while I'm at work as well. Initial impressions are good, especially for a tower that's roughly a fraction of the size of the PL-980. :)

Comment

Not to speak for Jon, but you would be shocked how much of that product is customer demand driven.

And, without sounding boastful, Jon's MTM's are better than several ID 3-ways that far off axis from my listening sessions. The c A2.4, 752, and L3c being especially good in this regard.

3-ways lobe as well, they just do it more in the vertical domain.

Time behavior is critical for performance on the long axis and Joe D stopped a little short of optimal, IMHO. Pioneer though he is.

Comment

• Update: With the sub shipping carton upgrade now behind us, tested and about to be packed L6 speakers are completing now. The others fall in line immediately after. Packaging design is complete and materials arrive shortly.

Our biggest task is now the new website content.

Let me rephrase that: Content is done. The priority for anyone not on the plant floor is the website.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post
                          As long as you're in the thread we'll contact you in order of requests received. Thanks for being aboard!
                          I would like to be on the 700 list instead of the L list
                          Last edited by Freddyknuckles; 09-29-2020, 03:38 PM. Reason: Changed my mind!

Comment

• Originally posted by Freddyknuckles View Post

I am in this thread. Does that qualify me for being in on the official early group buy?
                            Yes it does. You're in, in order of date.

Comment

• Hi again folks. I should update this thread for the first week of September. Our subwoofer project is squared away for now so we're resuming the L and 700 series model rollouts.

L has four models pending. The largest is the original L7 the thread was made for - a complete redesign of the original A7 concept - along with its matching L6 horizontal center. You can find details in the first post in the thread.

Models L3c and L3 are also 6.5"-based, and are a MTM/LCR plus a classic 2-way stand monitor, respectively. They joined the project later. Ail four launch together, more or less.

Covid knocked at least six weeks from our plan. Driver shortages have slowed us, although less so for our 700 models and for our 10" subs which snuck in under the wire - it just worked out that way and wasn't planned. L models took the brunt of an odd year for inventories and shipping but we're taking alternate steps to close the loop.

Assembled, tested units will package in September. They'll appear online, with prices, when we post an updated website, which is an any-week-now proposition. Shipping for L7 and L6 will typically occur by truck freight (LTL) because it's safer and can cost less. Even if it's not less it's a better way to receive valuable equipment. Since L6 is a dedicated horizontal center - we don't recommend them as vertical L&R speakers - they'll generally ship with the L7 pair, and again should and will go by truck.

There's a reservation list in post #1. It filled up but we're still tracking your interest so just add a remark in the thread to be included. I have no way to know how many early reservations have stayed with us, so we cannot guarantee availability. At any rate I expect a second production to start almost immediately, for much, much faster turnaround than the first. If you're interested, just say so here and thanks in advance.

We'll announce availability here, on Twitter, by way of the new web content pages, and through our newsletter.

Comment

• Big thumbs up Jon! Great to see that we're finally getting close to having them available for purchase.

Comment

Working...
                                X