This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ehill View Post
    For strictly home theater which would you recommend out of the following?

L3,LC3,L3

A1.5,A2.4,A1.5

LC3,LC3,LC3

A2.4,A2.4,A2.4

He already owns a couple of subs.

His movie room is 15x14x8
    The overriding questions are generally: How loud and what's the budget. For a loud option ("strictly home theater") and if the budget is there, I'd say a pair of A5.5 and an A2.4 center.

If your friend prefers stand speakers over the A5.5 floor speaker, I'd say an all-L3c system is about as immersive as you can get in its market segment, followed closely by the all-A2.4 system. They're variations on one another although for somewhat more cost, the L series delivers what you'd expect from high end SB drivers.

Note that the L3c is a full driver size larger and comes in a proportionally larger cabinet too. The 5.25" in the A's moves to the 6.5" class in all of the first four L's.

In my view, the L3c is as much of an over-achiever in its MTM type as the A2.4 continues to be in its. They are considerably larger than their TM counterparts in the L3 and A1.5.

Comment

• Possibly another contender would be two 752’s in a MTM set up sitting on top of his dual subs.

Comment

Possibly another contender would be two 752’s in a MTM set up sitting on top of his dual subs.
        That's a good point. If the MLP is a dozen or so feet back the 752 makes a tremendous LCR system for HT. Toe them to taste, although you'll do that for nearly everything. They'll play louder and they image very well. The Ls deliver more nuance, the 700's more dynamic headroom; just as you'd expect.

Won't cost any more than the L3c either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

That's a good point. If the MLP is a dozen or so feet back the 752 makes a tremendous LCR system for HT. Toe them to taste, although you'll do that for nearly everything. They'll play louder and they image very well. The Ls deliver more nuance, the 700's more dynamic headroom; just as you'd expect.

Won't cost any more than the L3c either.
          I’m not sure if this is frowned upon in a open forum enviroment.

For a comparisions would you say the new 752 series line sounds more like Power Sound Audio “PSA” or the JTR pro sound speakers or more like Klipsch sounding horn speakers?

It seems like the tweeter is more inline with the PSA.

Or would you say they sound more like a much bigger version of A2.4 Chane speakers.

Thanks for your time very exciting times.

Comment

For a comparisions would you say the new 752 series line sounds more like Power Sound Audio “PSA” or the JTR pro sound speakers or more like Klipsch sounding horn speakers?
            [Copied to the 700 series thread and answered there.]

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post
              Quick update: We're still dealing with a couple last minute supply hiccups. We hadn't seen any Covid-related slowing back in March - when I remarked on that on Twitter - but since then the US driver importer for the Ls lost a whole month. Our carton supplier did too, and both are local to the plant where we're building these models.

I'd planned to add pricing to the original posts in both the L and 700 Series posts about 30 days before this. Still working out these last-minute supplies and will post back again ASAP.
              Hi Jon any update? still waiting with great anticipation.

Comment

• Will the L series be available in black? Wife is saying no to wood grain, now. Getting a different wife is not an option... 🤣

Comment

• Originally posted by Gerry View Post
                  Will the L series be available in black? Wife is saying no to wood grain, now. Getting a different wife is not an option... 🤣
                  Chane M&C said the 2nd run/shipment will be in black.

Comment

• Originally posted by wkrpic View Post

Chane M&C said the 2nd run/shipment will be in black.
                    Awesome! Do we know if the 2nd run will be in immediate production, or are we talking about 2021?

Comment

Awesome! Do we know if the 2nd run will be in immediate production, or are we talking about 2021?
                      We're going to assess our production maturity - made in the US - and check customer demand per model, then go for the black ash production asap. We're also planning other things for this series. The goal for L was always to deliver broader options in a lifestyle-centered branding.

[edited 8/19 for clarity]

Comment

• I've got a 5.1 system in a 21x17x8 room with three openings (two hallways and an entrance to a dining nook which is about eight feet wide). Currently my front three are a pair of 17 year old Axiom M22ti's, which were very good budget speakers when I got them, and a Chane A2.4 center. My subwoofer is a Monoprice Monolith 10. I'm driving my system with a 9 year old mid-level Onkyo receiver which is rated for 4 or 6 ohms (I'm a retired teacher, so I don't often give in to upgraditis). My wife and I use our system about 50/50 home theater/music. A couple of days ago we watched Deathly Hallows at levels high enough that the explosions and other sound effects were pretty close to the level you'd get in a theater. The description you've give of the LC3 makes me think it would give me a nice upgrade (keeping the A2.4 because the tv stand I've got it in barely has enough vertical distance between the top two shelves to accommodate it). I'd put the LC3s on a pair of Monoprice stands. Do you think the LC3s would be a good fit for my situation? I'd probably want to wait for the black ash.

Comment

• Originally posted by TexasPete View Post
                          The description you've give of the LC3 makes me think it would give me a nice upgrade (keeping the A2.4 because the tv stand I've got it in barely has enough vertical distance between the top two shelves to accommodate it). I'd put the LC3s on a pair of Monoprice stands. Do you think the LC3s would be a good fit for my situation? I'd probably want to wait for the black ash.
                          I think they'd be an excellent upgrade, Pete. They're at least a size larger - 6.5" versus what looks like 5.25" midwoofers - and they're also what you could call a focused array: The symmetrical mid-treble-mid driver map plus our crossover work gives them similar transparency to the A2.4. They can be used horizontally or vertically and deliver an enormous soundstage.

Beyond that the SB Acoustics drivers have excellent micro-dynamics - they're responsive and nuanced. The design is harmonically neutral, and the whole effect is, if I can say, musically authentic. They were a gratifying model to tune because they make such an immersive sound.

You'd get a larger speaker, greater symmetry in the front acoustical field, and some very high end components.

Comment

• Without going into great detail yet, the L3c's sound more expensive than the A Series. More refined, more textural, more micro dynamics, and better macro dynamics when compared within similar acoustical size classes of A Series products.

They are a step change improvement. You're not going to hear the L Series and wonder what you were paying for over the A Series.

Comment

• Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post
                              Without going into great detail yet, the L3c's sound more expensive than the A Series. More refined, more textural, more micro dynamics, and better macro dynamics when compared within similar acoustical size classes of A Series products.

They are a step change improvement. You're not going to hear the L Series and wonder what you were paying for over the A Series.
                              Which one is the L3c now? Is that the 3 way center channel with the dual mid range drivers? I’ve lost track. Haha!

I will say that ring dome tweeters have a certain sound and feel. I’ve only heard a hand full of speakers with them, but me and my wife are experienced and trained musicians; we prefer listening to orchestral music on the ring dome tweeter based speakers we ended up buying than some of the other popular options. I’m not putting down other driver technology; all I’m sharing is our preference for these types of tweeters. As I’m sure everyone knows, there are way too many factors at play to simply attribute a sound to a single driver, but we do love our ring-dome-tweeting speakers.

The three way center channel is basically what’s selling me on the L series. I hope to be an early adopter and share my experience. Trying to get my wife to accept the wood finish; she wants black. 🤣

Comment

Which one is the L3c now? Is that the 3 way center channel with the dual mid range drivers? I’ve lost track. Haha!

I will say that ring dome tweeters have a certain sound and feel. I’ve only heard a hand full of speakers with them, but me and my wife are experienced and trained musicians; we prefer listening to orchestral music on the ring dome tweeter based speakers we ended up buying than some of the other popular options. I’m not putting down other driver technology; all I’m sharing is our preference for these types of tweeters. As I’m sure everyone knows, there are way too many factors at play to simply attribute a sound to a single driver, but we do love our ring-dome-tweeting speakers.

The three way center channel is basically what’s selling me on the L series. I hope to be an early adopter and share my experience. Trying to get my wife to accept the wood finish; she wants black. 🤣
                                The L3c is the 6.5" MTM two way.

This tweeter is REALLY good. 29mm SB Acoustics ring dome. It's actually ~34mm if one considers that it leverages the large surround. This means better dispersion and extension up top and lower distortion/better power handing down low.

But, and you hinted at this Gerry, they don't really sound like anything. At all.

I will say that my old studio monitors (Blue Sky Designs Sat6D's) had ScanSpeak Ring Radiators and these SB 29mm ring domes are absolutely every bit as good... and I suspect they are better. They don't just measure well; they actually SOUND great.

Comment

Working...
                                X