This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kabin View Post
    It's getting down to the wire but do you anticipate a holiday status update before the 4th of July?
    It is, isn't it. Happy Fourth everyone...

Updates: Let me throw some things out there generally. Forgive the want of editing - it's late and apparently grammar isn't my native language.

The pandemic affected everyone this year. We lost three months, more or less. On Chane's Twitter feed we reported we hadn't been affected, but that was in March, three months after, for example, the sub project had first been publicly mentioned. At that point in time out of hundreds and hundreds of individual parts in our various supply chains we were down exactly one midrange cone, the cone for the new A4.5 and the same cone shared in the A5.5 and upcoming A6.5 center. That's it. It was replaced and on we went, unscathed by the pandemic.

After that post.we promptly lost nearly seven weeks landing two containers of finished cabinets. It's hard to move by ocean without ships. Then we lost nearly a month when a governor decided to make everyone stay home. We had one guy in the plant. Many audio companies were completely lights out for a month, or trying to keep the phones running from home.

That's 2020. We've really only been at full capacity for the last three weeks or so.

Where does that put us. Now that it's July we're in good shape, actually. We're about halfway through roughly four hundred assembly units and are simultaneously bringing in over cartons. I'd hoped for a final dimension and weight for the subs so we could vend, but that's still an any-day-now proposition. I don't run the shop and the shop is quite happy with that arrangement.

I've always said that when we have news we will rush to post it but frankly it hadn't occurred to me that when we're asked for an update it could be that the unwritten prefix could be "I really need to get a set right away so are there any updates?" If that's the case I'm pained I can't make the sale and get you into genuinely better sound value pronto. You guys are just the best and we want to keep doing our best for you.

Incidentally - since this is long-winded - if you're getting any flak on the AVS board, please know that while it's a vastly better place under new management the one thing that's really fallen off is good advice. There's precious little real, technical speaker knowledge there, and there's a substantial undercurrent of misinformation and brand bias. The oxygen tends to be used up well before good info gets aired so whatever negativity the Usuals over there are insisting about Chane is typically 180 degrees out of phase, to put it in speaker terms. Better than it was in many ways; not good all in others. I'll break a personal policy to say that.

The other personal policy I'm probably going to break because of it is new model info before we're stocked and ready. The four L models, the three 700 models, the sub models, and much more under wraps all came about because of a huge development effort that flowed out of one model, the A7 from quite a long time ago. I never expected to have this many models and I certainly didn't expect to have a couple dozen under active development. But in the future, before new product news turns into a bad game of party Telephone, I'm going to really limit new model news. There'll be none outside of this forum, that is definite. Twitter will continue to post random highlights whenever we feel like it, but nothing we're going to elaborate on in any depth, dates especially.

That's it. Sorry for the length and the stream of consciousness but now you know what we know. Or at least what we're willing to say about it. Product is in good shape and in many cases we only need to do final packing. No firm dates - and yes, some component shortages exist in the speaker biz right now; we see them all over - but when we know more so will you.

We actually do want your money, so be assured. And you want good sound, which I think is good incentive to do this. Happy Fourth.

Comment

• Thanks for the update. Nice to hear things are coming together. Too many unforeseen business challenges these days and we never know if or when another company falls by the way side.

I had a bad encounter a few years back with an AVS administrator. He couldn't understand why I didn't want his spam emails. I haven't returned since. Good to hear they are under new management.

Comment

• Thanks for the share.
        My feeling tells me there is a lot of positivity towards Chane from past, present and new customers to overcloud the inevitable doubters (for whatever motivation).
        Last edited by wkrpic; 07-03-2020, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by kabin View Post
          I haven't returned [to AVS]. Good to hear they are under new management.
          The new ownership is a plus. There's still a contingent of old guard loyalists in the commentariat with some sort of vested interest who cancel Chane whenever and however they can, but as wrkpic notes, actual users know and like what works...

Comment

• Ohh Jon I have been very good for a while, Do you need a volunteer to buy the L6 and 2 L7's to to ensure proper packaging

Comment

• Damn, wish I would have thought of that...

Comment

• Originally posted by 1st Time Caller View Post
                Do you need a volunteer to buy the L6 and 2 L7's to to ensure proper packaging
                Working on it. We want to release them even more than folks would like to hear them...

Comment

• This thread started off as a reservation list. Do I still need to worry about ending up that list, or should I just keep following the L series here on the forums and on the store? I’m most definitely interested. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Gerry View Post
                    This thread started off as a reservation list. Do I still need to worry about ending up that list, or should I just keep following the L series here on the forums and on the store? I’m most definitely interested. :)
                    No need to make that list. I ran out of cells to populate but when the notice emails, I'll check the entire thread over again.

Thanks for being aboard!

Comment

• Excellent. Along with the feedback given to me in the main 700 series thread, I think the L series is the right choice for my application.

I plan on putting together an entire 5.2.4 setup and will use as much of the Chane products as possible. The plan is L7 mains with an L6 center, plus whatever I can fit as my surrounds and atmos/ceiling speakers. Surround fitment in my particular room is going to be a bit tricky, so there’s a chance that I may have to go with something else as a compromise. Subwoofers, assuming they’re not sold out by the time I get a chance to order, will be two of the 550 watt products being released this week.

I mention this because I’m in Tampa, FL and I’d happily demo my setup for other people in the area. I plan on getting started on the project maybe mid-August and just taking my time. An hour here, an hour there, you know how it is. ;)

I’m also putting together a 5.2 room for a friend of mine, again going with as many Chane products as we can, but it will be using the A series as much as possible. I can’t volunteer someone else’s house, but he’s a pretty easy going guy and would probably be okay with the occasional enthusiast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

No need to make that list. I ran out of cells to populate but when the notice emails, I'll check the entire thread over again.
                        Count me in as still more than interested in the L series or possibly A. Haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet for my 5.1 replacement & sub'd to the sub thread a while back.

Thank you!

Comment

• Quick update: We're still dealing with a couple last minute supply hiccups. We hadn't seen any Covid-related slowing back in March - when I remarked on that on Twitter - but since then the US driver importer for the Ls lost a whole month. Our carton supplier did too, and both are local to the plant where we're building these models.

I'd planned to add pricing to the original posts in both the L and 700 Series posts about 30 days before this. Still working out these last-minute supplies and will post back again ASAP.

Comment

• Good to know. Thanks for the update!

Comment

• I'm in the same situation as Mysterion! Looking to update to a 5.1 setup and haven't purchased anything yet so I'd be looking at either the L or A series.

Jon, we spoke recently in email and you mentioned following this thread so subscribing :).

I am not sure if the A or L series is better suited for me, still need to read up (would be only for movies/tv and games as I don't listen to much music through my HT setup).

I saw a post earlier mentioning that the L series would be in stock before the A series. If so, I would probably get the L series assuming they're a good fit.

Comment

• Hey Jon, put me down for a pair of L7's, an L6, and a 300w sub if possible.
                                Mitch

Comment

Working...
                                X