This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread change and addendum

I should add that the L3 and l3c will join the L7 and L6. I changed the name of the thread to reflect this so if you've bookmarked it, please note. Hopefully the forum will continue to update you without a lapse.

The L3 is a classic, 20 liter 6.5" 2-way stand monitor, and the L3c is the twin 6.5" MTM/LCR version of it. You can call it a center speaker if you like.

I have to say, the tech in these is showing its stuff.

Comment

I'd be interested in the L7's and an L6 for a particular room.
      Can you describe how they compare against the competition, specifically the Ascend sierra towers and sierra horrizon? Also, since they will be your "upscale" models, will the L series ever be available in real wood veneer cabinets?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve1232 View Post
        I'd be interested in the L7's and an L6 for a particular room.
        Can you describe how they compare against the competition, specifically the Ascend sierra towers and sierra horrizon? Also, since they will be your "upscale" models, will the L series ever be available in real wood veneer cabinets?
        In our front page menu selections is an article that relates the more important elements of speakers and their comparisons. Determining acoustical class is foremost because that initial size has so much to do with real sound. Any comparison with the L7 should be mindful of its 75 liter bass section with four 6.5" bass drivers to support the treble and midrange array. Foundationally, it's a lot of speaker.

Next, there's a recent trend toward making a particular driver the star of the show, however I've found it's the underlying design that has most to do with sound. While they use some fantastic tech, I think the Ls succeed most because of the specific design choices they include.

As for sound, I've never demoed or analyzed another product - I'm just not chasing any. I'm completely comfortable letting the sound speak for itself, and it certainly will. But the first criteria will be that acoustical size and the second the invisible aspect, which is design.

Comment

interested in a pair of L7s and L6

Comment

Hello - my old forum name was “dan” - I couldn’t log in

I’m in for 1 pair of L7 please & thanks!

Comment

Weekend thank-you

Folks,

It's the weekend and while I have to get right back into design work, I must take a moment to say how much I appreciate your support. Without knowing all that much about these products and before even knowing their production schedule, you've shown them enormous support. All of us are rightly impressed and I'm especially grateful and humbled. Thank you, and I think I can speak for DS, KK, PG, and all the people in the production side we've been working with these past three years when I say that.

I'm just as genuinely impressed with their quality and with the sound we've managed to achieve. It's a real level beyond, and that comes from a 35 year perspective. I worked a little with the L3c again yesterday and while I'm not going to review our own stuff, frankly the scale, scope, focus, and sheer musicality continues to knock me out. I'm not sure how a twin 6.5" MTM speaker on stands can do what they do but they certainly do it.

These items are the fulfillment of an ideal. They and some other designs are just something we needed to do for its own sake. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did in bringing them to fruition. Chane pledges to continue to support this leap of faith you're making.

Thank you very much for being aboard.

PS, please feel free to post questions. While the official reveal happens once we've gotten production rolling, I'll try to explain as much as we can here before we get to that point.

Comment

Mark me down for a pair of L7s and tentatively an L6 for center (pending dimensions)

Not sure if I should keep my A1.4s as surround, move my A2rxcs to surround or....? L3? I don’t know.

Comment

I'm in the process of planning out a new 5.1.4 system for my basement. It's a 22x15 room with the MLP about 10-12 feet from the TV. I have little kids so don't listen too loud. Use will mostly be HT with occasional music, so I'd like to prioritize a quality center speaker. I'm intrigued by the L6, but I suspect the L7's will be too large and out of my budget for L and R. Which of these systems across the front would you recommend?

L6 and L3c's - will the L3c's be able to keep up with the L6?
                  3 L3c's - how does the L3c compare to the L6 and A6.4 as a center?
                  A6.4 and A5.4's - will I regret not going with the L line?

Thanks for your input. Congrats on nearing the finish line. I know it's been a long time coming, but it sounds like you really outdid yourself and it'll be worth the wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Meander View Post
                    Mark me down for a pair of L7s and tentatively an L6 for center (pending dimensions)
                    The L6 measures 750 x 330 x 235mm or about 29.5 x 13 x 9.25".

Originally posted by Meander View Post
                    Not sure if I should keep my A1.4s as surround, move my A2rxcs to surround or....? L3? I don’t know.
                    The L3 is ideally a stand monitor. It nets 20 liters while the A1.4 nets 10. I'd like to add an L2 shelf speaker, also around 10 liters, later. We expect to add both an A4.4 this spring and an L4-class speaker later too. Both will be onwalls.

Comment

Originally posted by tfrecka1 View Post
                      I'm in the process of planning out a new 5.1.4 system for my basement. It's a 22x15 room with the MLP about 10-12 feet from the TV. I have little kids so don't listen too loud. Use will mostly be HT with occasional music, so I'd like to prioritize a quality center speaker. I'm intrigued by the L6, but I suspect the L7's will be too large and out of my budget for L and R. Which of these systems across the front would you recommend?

L6 and L3c's - will the L3c's be able to keep up with the L6?
                      3 L3c's - how does the L3c compare to the L6 and A6.4 as a center?
                      A6.4 and A5.4's - will I regret not going with the L line?

Thanks for your input. Congrats on nearing the finish line. I know it's been a long time coming, but it sounds like you really outdid yourself and it'll be worth the wait.
                      The L3c is in a similar class to the L6, the difference being that the L6 adds twin 4.5" midranges and has a somewhat more uniform field on the long, or horizontal axis. The L3c has a reflex (tuned port) bass system, while the L6 is sealed. The L3c is 8 ohms while the L6 is 4.

The L3c therefore makes a fine three channel front system in a class one size larger than the A2.4. They'll cost significantly more but then all L models cost more than their A counterparts. If you like it loud we recommend adding that one size class too.

The A6.4 will use a vertical center tweeter and midrange array instead of the L6's MTM array. Like the L6, it'll also be sealed and intended for 80Hz use and above. Will you regret not going with the L line? It looks better, has a very effective tech assortment, and reflects a more extreme design goal. Frankly, it's surpassing expectations with a vengeance - which weren't modest - so while it'll run significantly more, if the budget is there it's an outstanding option.

None of this diminishes the very unique A line. It remains in the front of the affordable class, proving itself many times over.

Comment

Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post
                        The L3c is in a similar class to the L6, the difference being that the L6 adds twin 4.5" midranges and has a somewhat more uniform field on the long, or horizontal axis. The L3c has a reflex (tuned port) bass system, while the L6 is sealed. The L3c is 8 ohms while the L6 is 4.

The L3c therefore makes a fine three channel front system in a class one size larger than the A2.4. They'll cost significantly more but then all L models cost more than their A counterparts. If you like it loud we recommend adding that one size class too.

The A6.4 will use a vertical center tweeter and midrange array instead of the L6's MTM array. Like the L6, it'll also be sealed and intended for 80Hz use and above. Will you regret not going with the L line? It looks better, has a very effective tech assortment, and reflects a more extreme design goal. Frankly, it's surpassing expectations with a vengeance - which weren't modest - so while it'll run significantly more, if the budget is there it's an outstanding option.

None of this diminishes the very unique A line. It remains in the front of the affordable class, proving itself many times over.
                        Thanks. What are the benefits of adding the dual 4.5" midranges over the L3c without them? Additional volume headroom? Better definition?

Will the L3c offer the optional port plugs, and if so will they still be suitable for crossing over at 80 hz?
                        Last edited by tfrecka1; 02-17-2019, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tfrecka1 View Post
                          What are the benefits of adding the dual 4.5" midranges over the L3c without them? Additional volume headroom? Better definition?

Will the L3c offer the optional port plugs, and if so will they still be suitable for crossing over at 80 hz?
                          I favor design over raw technology. Great drivers - which the L's have and which really shine through - are less important than design type and execution. Commercial success may hang on the apparent benefits of fancy parts but since how they're deployed is so important, in real, practical analysis unsurprisingly the design wins out.

In that same vein, in an absolute class the 2-way is theoretically better than the 3-way+ types - in uncompromising design the 2-way is favored because the treble unit can be tagged onto the main driver with little error. A single-driver speaker is even better, but is very hard to accomplish without important compromises.

"Absolute class" and "uncompromising" narrow things terribly. Real speakers can use only a certain level of realization and while a very good practical 2-way delivers a remarkably, even stunningly successful sound, it may - and frequently does - have to bow to real world terms and conditions.

The 3-way, interestingly, must always carry the burden of the more complex, less-purist design type. However, it may use some strategies in the areas of its design that relate to your intuition: more acoustic size and potentially higher definition. It takes some fiddling but in the end the two types trade around their pros and cons and generally follow their apparent function.

That's the wordy way of saying that nothing is exactly what it appears and while less is generally more, it's generally not a linear relationship. The 2-way L3c MTM/LCR had already made a deeply memorable impression for itself. The L6 is that and more. What's interesting is that ultimately neither sound directly or immediately like they look.

Port plugs convert the L3 and L3c from reflex to sealed. Sealed they're generally friendlier with boundaries and processor highpass settings. The L6 is sealed. The primary aim we had for it as a center speaker was high sensitivity and a relatively fast sound plus good fixed installation compatibility. The L7 is also sealed but its size and floor-coupling make it a capable speaker in the bass.

Comment

What is the f3 for the L7 and L6?

Comment

Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post
                              The L6 measures 750 x 330 x 235mm or about 29.5 x 13 x 9.25".

The L6 is ideally a stand monitor. It nets 20 liters while the A1.4 nets 10. I'd like to add an L2 shelf speaker, also around 10 liters, later. We expect to add both an A4.4 this spring and an L4-class speaker later too. Both will be onwalls.
                              Thanks! The L6 should fit perfectly. So 2 L7s and 1 L6 it is :)

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
                                What is the f3 for the L7 and L6?
                                That'll depend heavily on how they're loaded (and how a maker chooses to consider it in an age of specmanship, frankly) but in realistic terms something like this, rounded to the nearest quarter decade:

F3 - ~40Hz
                                F6 - ~32.5Hz
                                F10 - ~27.5Hz

In-room the acoustically-meaningful term is nearer the F6. Another large sealed system to sign off last month with the same theoretical spec had substantial apparent bass slam.

Since they're sealed they roll out slowly and they're also better damped than a typical reflex system. The L7 thoroughly engages the floor and the L6 center will frequently go where it engages a back wall.

[corrected 3/9 to final response]

Comment

Working...
                                X