Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dana 640i's for both music and home theater use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana 640i's for both music and home theater use?

I am in a SERIOUS dilemma in making a decision between going with the Dana 640i's or the Arx A1 or A2B to serve use in my multimedia system. Music is very important to me as I listen to a lot of music in my multimedia system. I also watch a lot of concerts on either Bluray or DirecTv. However I will also be watching a lot of movies and playing video games, so the speaker I decide on has to handle all of the duties and handle them very good. From what I keep hearing, is the Dana's should be okay but just wont play as loud as the Arx's. I am just wondering, just how loud will the Dana's go? And would I ever have to worry about damaging the Dana's if I do play them pretty loud? Now these are not going into a huge room. I am only sitting about 8-10ft away from the speakers. They will also be powered by an Integra 7.8 THX Ultra Certified AVR putting out 130 wattsx7. I am assuming that the Dana's would work well with this type of AVR. I guess if worse comes to worse, if the Dana's just cant do movie soundtracks the way I want them to, I could always return them. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by Jeff Adams
    I am in a SERIOUS dilemma in making a decision between going with the Dana 640i's or the Arx A1 or A2B to serve use in my multimedia system. Music is very important to me as I listen to a lot of music in my multimedia system. I also watch a lot of concerts on either Bluray or DirecTv. However I will also be watching a lot of movies and playing video games, so the speaker I decide on has to handle all of the duties and handle them very good. From what I keep hearing, is the Dana's should be okay but just wont play as loud as the Arx's. I am just wondering, just how loud will the Dana's go? And would I ever have to worry about damaging the Dana's if I do play them pretty loud? Now these are not going into a huge room. I am only sitting about 8-10ft away from the speakers. They will also be powered by an Integra 7.8 THX Ultra Certified AVR putting out 130 wattsx7. I am assuming that the Dana's would work well with this type of AVR. I guess if worse comes to worse, if the Dana's just cant do movie soundtracks the way I want them to, I could always return them. What do you guys think?
    I'll let others answer the questions you're asking of them, Jeff, but this comment adds some important information: The Onkyo's have a lot of current reserve, making them an excellent choice for the money. 8-10 feet from the speaker in a moderately sized room does not push us away from the 640i, but the mixed multimedia use to me raises the idea of the Arx A2b (which is some weeks away) because it's such a "fun" sound.

If you ask me, I don't think the A5 is necessary and I think you may want more depth and fullness than just the A1b. Personally I'm leaning back toward the middle of the Arx range or the 640i...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Lane
      I'll let others answer the questions you're asking of them, Jeff, but this comment adds some important information: The Onkyo's have a lot of current reserve, making them an excellent choice for the money. 8-10 feet from the speaker in a moderately sized room does not push us away from the 640i, but the mixed multimedia use to me raises the idea of the Arx A2b (which is some weeks away) because it's such a "fun" sound.

If you ask me, I don't think the A5 is necessary and I think you may want more depth and fullness than just the A1b. Personally I'm leaning back toward the middle of the Arx range or the 640i...
      Thanks Jon,

You totally solved my speaker conundrum. lol :D

So what speaker do you think would be better suited for the Integra AVR? The Dana 640i or the Arx A2B? And you are correct, I for sure want a speaker that can play loud when needed but I also want that huge soundstage along with the depth, weight and fullness of almost a full range speaker. And when I say loud, I am not talking about club or concert levels, just enough to get me and the people around excited. I really don't abuse or punish my speakers, well maybe a couple of times with a Transformers or Saving Private Ryan scene. :D

Comment

I am curious as well. Regards, Bradley

Comment

Originally posted by Bandg
          I am curious as well. Regards, Bradley
          Me too. I could always just get both and do some of my own in home comparisons. :)

Comment

So what speaker do you think would be better suited for the Integra AVR? The Dana 640i or the Arx A2B? And you are correct, I for sure want a speaker that can play loud when needed but I also want that huge soundstage along with the depth, weight and fullness of almost a full range speaker. And when I say loud, I am not talking about club or concert levels, just enough to get me and the people around excited. I really don't abuse or punish my speakers, well maybe a couple of times with a Transformers or Saving Private Ryan scene. :D
            They're similar in terms of their acoustical sizes, Jeff. You'll get deeper bass with the Dana and more output with the Arx but they are otherwise in approximately the same class (except for the Dana's higher resolving power and more deluxe cabinets).

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Lane
              They're similar in terms of their acoustical sizes, Jeff. You'll get deeper bass with the Dana and more output with the Arx but they are otherwise in approximately the same class (except for the Dana's higher resolving power and more deluxe cabinets).
              Yeah, I think I am going with the Dana's. Thanks for all of your help Jon!

Comment

Thank you, Jeff. It's one of our favorite products here at TAI.

Comment

Hi TAI,
                  I have been reading from this forum looking for more reviews of the Dana 640i. I've also looked all over the internet but it seems like I cna't find any. I'm itching for a speaker upgrade, and I have actually communicated to Jon about this, but I'm just wondering about the scarcity of reviews pertaining to the 640i. The speaker I am pitting the Danas against are the Ascend Sierra-1s. The latter seem to have more reviews. Are there reviews for the 640i aside from einstein and miller's?

Comment

Any impressions Jeff?

Comment

i use my 640i in a 2 channel system with a cary/aes superamp mkii, cary/aes ae3 mkii and oppo 83se.
                      wow! i love the way they sound. I read someone else say goosebumps and it literally is the same for me. wonderful soundstage
                      i hear, feel the strings vibrate with my ref acoustic cds. articulate without fatigue. very good base for a stand speaker.
                      I will be getting a sub to acompany these (tekton maybe). these speakers are fast and I want a fast sub to go with them. all in good time. I'm allright without one for now. I've been listening to them since 06/12 and don't see them leaving my system. still want to hook them up to a few pieces. want to try these with including dodd batt. buffer and class d, and emotiva rpa ss. can't imagine being dissapointed with any system electronics.

Comment

Working...
                      X