This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction to the Chane L Series

With over thirty years of design experience invested, affordable Chane A Series sound has become an popular alternative to the big brands. The A Series has been top-rated by reviewers and users as one of the most cost-effective speaker series delivering real musical fidelity.

Chane's A Series evolved from an economical short line of models dating back nearly ten years, however Chane has also worked with other design and product categories, including our Dana series. That line consisted of a 630i compact 5" monitor, 640i 6.5" large stand monitor, and matching 630iLCR center and stereo speaker, at the time the first to use remarkable new drivers by premiere driver maker SB Acoustics. There are some earlier Dana threads in this sub-forum.

Chane's L Series is the evolution of our Dana series, and since both the A line and Dana line have compared so favorably, in a way we decided to not change a thing in the Chane L Series.

We have updated every component and every piece in the new L Series premium speaker models, and we've added the deluxe features and touches many of our users wanted; things like larger models and more models and nice finishes and the better stuff inside; the stuff that's been over three years in development.

But where it counts we haven't changed anything. For the new Chane L Series we kept one hundred percent of what works, which is genuinely better parts, better cabinetry, comprehensive design principles, and Chane's own obsessive fine tuning. It's what keeps a Chane a Chane.

The new Chane L Series speakers haven't changed what really matters, which is the path to real musical pleasure.
    • Ringdome treble drivers for broad, dynamic response
      • Big 29mm diameter for higher output and wider range
      • Progressive radiation for extended treble response with improved directivity
      • Large, low-reactance motors for superb resolution to over 30kHz
    • Danish-designed, high resolution mid-bass and bass drivers
      • Ultra-wideband, mineral filled mid-bass cones on low loss suspensions (2-way models)
      • Aluminum bass cones on low loss suspensions (3-way models)
      • Special ultra low reactance, low distortion motors
      • Cast aluminum frames and double-vented motor cooling
    • Precision electronics selected for low coloration and superior definition
      • Exclusive Chane crossover with time-compensated response and low phase rotation
      • Extensively tuned for neutral, realistic timbre and focus
      • Step-compensated as main speakers for use on stands or floor (except shelf models)
    • Sealed or classic reflex bass alignments
    • Heavy-wall precision cabinetry with full perimeter, multi-way bracing
    • Deluxe wood-look case with sculpted driver boards in medium lustre black
    • Neodymium magnetic grille fasteners with black acoustical knit cover
    • Aluminum input plate with heavy gold-plated 5-way binding posts
    • Detachable steel outrigger feet included (floor models)

A thread on the Dana line starts here, back in late 2011. The L line of models is much more advanced, although the underlying driver engineering shares some key features. Even then Dana did well in its market. We kept a complete system of 640i, 630i, and 630LCR center as a test. They're really overbuilt for what they cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

The new Chane L Series speakers haven't changed what really matters, which is the path to real musical pleasure.
      • Ringdome treble drivers for broad, dynamic response
        • Big 29mm diameter for higher output and wider range
        • Progressive radiation for extended treble response with improved directivity
        • Large, low-reactance motors for superb resolution to over 30kHz
      • Danish-designed, high resolution mid-bass and bass drivers
        • Ultra-wideband, mineral filled mid-bass cones on low loss suspensions (2-way models)
        • Aluminum bass cones on low loss suspensions (3-way models)
        • Special ultra low reactance, low distortion motors
        • Cast aluminum frames and double-vented motor cooling
      • Precision electronics selected for low coloration and superior definition
        • Exclusive Chane crossover with time-compensated response and low phase rotation
        • Extensively tuned for neutral, realistic timbre and focus
        • Step-compensated as main speakers for use on stands or floor (except shelf models)
      • Sealed or classic reflex bass alignments
      • Heavy-wall precision cabinetry with full perimeter, multi-way bracing
      • Deluxe wood-look case with sculpted driver boards in medium lustre black
      • Neodymium magnetic grille fasteners with black acoustical knit cover
      • Aluminum input plate with heavy gold-plated 5-way binding posts
      • Detachable steel outrigger feet included (floor models)
      Am I to understand the L7 will come in both a ported and sealed configuration? Or is that a general statement directed towards the whole array of Chane speaker offerings?

Comment

Originally posted by BadJRT View Post
        Am I to understand the L7 will come in both a ported and sealed configuration? Or is that a general statement directed towards the whole array of Chane speaker offerings?
        The large L7 3-way floor speaker and its matching large center L6 use aluminum 6.5" woofers in a sealed configuration, plus 4.5" Nomex filber midranges. The 2-way L3 stand speaker uses a mineral filled hard poly 6.5" midwoofer and the L3c MTM/LCR speaker uses two, both speakers in bass reflex configuration. I'll add a post later on the specific drivers.

Comment

Jon,

I apologize if I'm asking a question that's been asked already, but I'm looking for two front, and two rear speakers. I currently have an A2.4 that I purchased years ago (don't recall which version it was...maybe second?). I'm leaning towards using speakers similar to the A2.4, instead of full sized towers. With the A2.4's sold out and L series and 700 series on the horizon, which would you recommend for fronts and rears? The speakers would be used for home theater 85% of the time in a 16' x 24' room. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tele53 View Post
            I apologize if I'm asking a question that's been asked already, but I'm looking for two front, and two rear speakers. I currently have an A2.4 that I purchased years ago (don't recall which version it was...maybe second?). I'm leaning towards using speakers similar to the A2.4, instead of full sized towers. With the A2.4's sold out and L series and 700 series on the horizon, which would you recommend for fronts and rears? The speakers would be used for home theater 85% of the time in a 16' x 24' room. Thanks.
            I'm sorry we don't have the A2.4 on hand - very brisk, Covid-year demand. They're in production and will restock in a couple of months.

You have some options. For 85% HT use (with excellent musicality) the 700 series works. The 752 large MTM LCR is a versatile, affordable, although large standmount speaker. Use them vertically in stereo pairs and flat as centers - you could also use the A2.for center, provided it'll play at the levels you may get to with the 752. The 700's are two driver sizes larger than the A's, although with SplitGap midwoofers the A2.acts as much like a 6.5" speaker as it does a 5.25" speaker.

Rears could be the upcoming 740s onwall. It's been mentioned this morning in the 700 series thread, here.

You could also use the L3c as your L&R vertical mains. It's closer to the A2 in acoustical and physical size and plays about as loud. There isn't as easy a rear speaker for this series yet, but we have just started prototyping models L2c, L2, and L1c, which are 5.25" MTM/LCR, 5.25" bookshelf, and 4.5" MTM/LCR, respectively. Another option is the A1.5 in the rear, which is returning before long.

Most of your choice will probably be based on budget, maximum loudness, listening depth, and physical size limits, if any.

Comment

Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

I'm sorry we don't have the A2.4 on hand - very brisk, Covid-year demand. They're in production and will restock in a couple of months.

You have some options. For 85% HT use (with excellent musicality) the 700 series works. The 752 large MTM LCR is a versatile, affordable, although large standmount speaker. Use them vertically in stereo pairs and flat as centers - you could also use the A2.for center, provided it'll play at the levels you may get to with the 752. The 700's are two driver sizes larger than the A's, although with SplitGap midwoofers the A2.acts as much like a 6.5" speaker as it does a 5.25" speaker.

Rears could be the upcoming 740s onwall. It's been mentioned this morning in the 700 series thread, here.

You could also use the L3c as your L&R vertical mains. It's closer to the A2 in acoustical and physical size and plays about as loud. There isn't as easy a rear speaker for this series yet, but we have just started prototyping models L2c, L2, and L1c, which are 5.25" MTM/LCR, 5.25" bookshelf, and 4.5" MTM/LCR, respectively. Another option is the A1.5 in the rear, which is returning before long.

Most of your choice will probably be based on budget, maximum loudness, listening depth, and physical size limits, if any.
              Thanks for the reply. I visited your site to buy a pair of A2.4's and I was going to add a set of A1.5's later this year, but I saw both were out of stock. I noticed the 700's and L series here in the forums. I'll wait to see what comes in stock first and maybe go with that. It seems I can't go wrong with any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by tele53 View Post
                Thanks for the reply. I visited your site to buy a pair of A2.4's and I was going to add a set of A1.5's later this year, but I saw both were out of stock. I noticed the 700's and L series here in the forums. I'll wait to see what comes in stock first and maybe go with that. It seems I can't go wrong with any of them.
                Thank you. We're getting some very nice results from all of them and the family resemblance is definitely there. Why I might not mix and match model lines myself - I like stuff to match - a user could probably construct a lot of different successful combinations.

Comment

Working...
                X