Arx and room setup questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arx and room setup questions

New place. Living room 24.5" L and 18.5" W. Openings to kitchen and bedroom hallway. Sports a half-wall, dividing less than half the room. (See attached pic - guessing was once 2 rooms that got merged - the small wall makes no sense otherwise).

Speakers: 2 A5s, one A5c, and two A3s.

Plan is to do A5(L) - A5c(C) - A5(R) in front (wide wall on "fireplace" side) and the two A3s at the rear. Adding a new PSA sub.

If we go 5.1.2, what is the recommended layout? If I add Heights (vs wides) any suggestions on speakers? Something very small I presume.

Any other tips, or new Arx speakers coming out soon?

I'll have other rooms to get/swap speakers into.

Also - I'm powering all this off an Onkyo RZ900. Does that have enough juice for all those or do I need to add another Amp and run the A5s off a dedicated Amp?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170405_192352.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	79701
    Last edited by marksman; 04-08-2017, 03:08 AM.

On your amp selection per Onkyo is says this:

This delivers "massive" power at 200 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 1 Channel Driven)
    140 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 20 Hz–20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven

For me and many others, 1 channel driven means nothing for real world application. At least the 8 ohm config is full range but it is only 2 ch. Per Onkyo this is "All Channels" but under their specs page they claim "2 channels driven". My Sherbourn, SR-120 provides, per spec, power output: 120 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo), 125 watts x 3 (fronts) + 75 watts x 4(rear) at 8 ohms load, per factory manual. I do recall seeing threads on the AVR forum about Onkyo's having some reliability issues. Not sure on the current models but maybe do some homework to make sure your G2G.

After owning 3 receivers while in ownership of the Arx/Chane speakers, I will never again use anything that makes me ponder real-world specs, all channels at full range. IMHO, the manufacturer is being more honest to their products ability. Should I purchase a different setup it would be possibly something from the Outlaw line. Per spec and reviews, the #'s are full range and all channels driven and price wise I might actually be able to afford it.

https://outlawaudio.com/products/7140.html and https://outlawaudio.com/products/975.html gets you in the same price point but w/ possible better/cleaner power #'s. My wish list amp https://outlawaudio.com/products/7900.html

On your room lay out, going w/ the A5's is a smart move IMHO. My room is 40x20 and in 2 ch mode my SR-120 can produce some decent noise but the room would probably be served better w/ more cone area but I can make it loud enough to drive the wife out when I'm working out (half weight room/half TV room). I now have a JTR 218HT which easily over power my Arx but it is NOT an apple-apples situation and it gets used 99% of the time the AVR is on. I do have the JTR turned down to around 30% and my AVR set to -8. It did help improve the overall sound and when I can finally upgrade to L's I think I'll be even more immersed in audio heaven. A PSA should serve you well, I hear nothing but good things about Tom's CS and his subs to perform.

The A5's should work for you but in my space, using a Denon then Sony I was "fine" but there is no arguing I upped the game w/ the SR-120. I do think I would have never been as impressed using the other 2 AVR's compared to the SR-120. And FWIW, at one point I burned up both front L/R tweeters from my Denon clipping and shutting down. When I switched to the SR-120 at Jon's suggestion as Emotiva/Sherbourn was having a close out sale, I've had no probs w/ the SR-120 at near full volume, they sound superb and no more burnt tweets.

FWIW changing nothing else but the receiver, the wife walked to the stairs and asked what I did different. She doesn't notice sh$t and she stopped what she was doing and happened to notice the improvement in sound quality. For me, it was a lesson learned and she was actually impressed with our HT setup.

On the heights, grab some A2's and use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or something similar. At least that's what I plan to use when I add the A2's to my channels 6/7. Other companies make atmos but I read mixed reviews on the necessity/cost efficiency of having an "atmos" dedicated/built speaker. My ears aren't fancy enough to justify the extra $$$ for other atmos when I believe A2's will make me very happy.

Lastly, the L-series are/supposedly/hopefully in the pipeline for a mid 2017 release or that is my impression and Jon if I'm off my bad, whiskey and time frames don't mix ;)
    At the end of the day, you'll LOVE your Chanes, break them in well with a clean power supply and they will only improve and impress you more w/ time :)

Comment

Originally posted by marksman View Post
      If I add Heights (vs wides) any suggestions on speakers? Something very small I presume.

Any other tips, or new Arx speakers coming out soon?
      Marksman, 'something small' would be an upcoming L4 'utility' speaker with mounting provisions on the back. It's the L series version of what would have been an A4 utility speaker. Intended uses are surround, wides, rears, effects, even on-desk monitoring. Very high fidelity, compact size, affordable. Nicer finish and fantastic drivers.

No more particulars for now, but this spring should bring more details.

Comment

Originally posted by powerlifter405 View Post
        For me and many others, 1 channel driven means nothing for real world application.

After owning 3 receivers while in ownership of the Arx/Chane speakers, I will never again use anything that makes me ponder real-world specs, all channels at full range.
        Couldn't agree more...

Originally posted by powerlifter405 View Post
        Lastly, the L-series are/supposedly/hopefully in the pipeline for a mid 2017 release or that is my impression and Jon if I'm off my bad, whiskey and time frames don't mix ;)
        At the end of the day, you'll LOVE your Chanes, break them in well with a clean power supply and they will only improve and impress you more w/ time :)
        We're converging on L series activity mid-year or sooner. I'm trying to be conservative and cautious in estimating timeframes I can't guarantee. There's a small rudder steering a big ship and I really look forward to being to speak freely on what we're doing. We'll try to repay all of you who have been so patient.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. We've had our A5s and A3s a while - I think we were one of the early orderers IIRC - amazing value. So the Arx are well broken in and visitors love them. Started them powered by an Onkyo TX-NR818 of the infamous HDMI board-burnout generation (which died, as many of those did). Onkyo replaced/upgraded all the internals for free for us. Great AVR now.

Upgraded last year to the RZ900 while the 818 was in for repair. Got the RZ900 on closeout (good old OneCall in Seattle). It oozes power but right now we are in a one room apartment so I can't push anything to find its limits.

Moving the system from a very small room, into a non-sealed, 18.5x24.5 room (with low, 8" ceilings, and two openings into other rooms) my questions again are:

1) Are 3 A5s (front) and two A3's (rear) going to be enough to power the room for H/T?

2) Do I need more power than the Onkyo TX-RZ900? (Confession - I haven't even figured out if I can pre-amp only the L/R or LCR front speakers. The 818 had a number of pre-amp/external power limitations.)

Any other suggestions welcome too! Thanks again. Amazed how quiet this forum is given the amazing SQ Audio products sold here.

Comment

My great room: 18'x28' (and open to other rooms).
            My speakers: A5 (main left/right); A2 (center); JBL in-ceiling speakers (all surround channels)(will be replaced by Chane A1s in the future); multiple subs.
            My gear: Onkyo TX-SR706 (AVR); ATI 1506 (separate amp).

Even if not using the separate subs and separate amp this set up fills my space with an 'abundance' of high quality sound (just lacking the proper levels of sub bass frequencies).
            Adding the separate subs and separate amp let me crank it all to the next level of 'over abundance.'

Atmos/height speakers.....
            The Atmos system has the capability of giving full frequency range signals to all speakers (even surrounds (including heights)). Most people will probably still use the standard 80hz crossover for all surround/height speakers. There is no special speaker needed for height use, it's up to the user as to what size/style speaker they want to install for the heights. 'Atmos speakers' are special floor speakers that have extra speakers pointed toward the ceiling which can be substituted for using actual speakers mounted on the ceiling.
            Last edited by gdstupak; 04-08-2017, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by marksman View Post
              Thanks for all the input. We've had our A5s and A3s a while - I think we were one of the early orderers IIRC - amazing value. So the Arx are well broken in and visitors love them. Started them powered by an Onkyo TX-NR818 of the infamous HDMI board-burnout generation (which died, as many of those did). Onkyo replaced/upgraded all the internals for free for us. Great AVR now.

Upgraded last year to the RZ900 while the 818 was in for repair. Got the RZ900 on closeout (good old OneCall in Seattle). It oozes power but right now we are in a one room apartment so I can't push anything to find its limits.

Moving the system from a very small room, into a non-sealed, 18.5x24.5 room (with low, 8" ceilings, and two openings into other rooms) my questions again are:

1) Are 3 A5s (front) and two A3's (rear) going to be enough to power the room for H/T?

2) Do I need more power than the Onkyo TX-RZ900? (Confession - I haven't even figured out if I can pre-amp only the L/R or LCR front speakers. The 818 had a number of pre-amp/external power limitations.)

Any other suggestions welcome too! Thanks again. Amazed how quiet this forum is given the amazing SQ Audio products sold here.
              I think the speaker arrangement should do very well. My A5'x 2 and A1-Center + L/R surrounds do great in my room. Adding a ginormous sub added a whole new dynamic but all my guest and the wife thought the above Arx setup did very well and a few have even preferred the Arx only arrangement. IMHO the Arx was the best well rounded set up I'd heard to date & from my purchase on is still so IMHO, especially bang for the buck. I could live w/o the sub if I had to, but I would not lose the Arx as a trade to keep the sub. Aside from one scene in LOTR and a few scenes in Terminator - G. the Arx have always handled what I asked of them and gave great sound in return w/o issue. I do listen at near the upper end of the Avr parameters and I'm guessing the content was outside the design parameters of the Arx. so that may have a lot to do w/ those few scenes not sounding absolutely perfect. AND lastly, it was always the center A1 that had the hiccup, it is run hot compared to the A5's so all in all I can't complain and short of dedicated subs, I venture no full range speaker in this price range will handle the LFE in those movies and still provide all the other benefits and sound quality they provide. On the one LOTR scene, if I use the plug and adjust the cross over to 110 the issue goes away, but again it is only for a few seconds of a single scene.

In reference to your amp, I originally had a Denon AVR-2113CI and it clipped and shut off constantly when I pushed it. After talking w/ Jon at the time he was thinking it was the reason both my front L/R tweeters burned up. The Denon was supposed to be 95W per channel BUT it weighs only 20lbs were as my Sherbourn has a HUGE :eek:toroidal-transformer and the unit weighs close to 60+lbs. Where Sherbourn has over 40lbs extra pounds hidden I have no idea but the sound quality and the ability is not even a close match. Jon may be able to give you a better idea or one of the other audio gurus but I can only share my experiences.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X