Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A2Rx-C Restock?

Hi Jon,

Want to order a pair of A3 but I see that the A2 are out of stock and that will leave me without a center, When do you plan on restocking the A2?If soon I may even go with 3 A2 instead of A3's+A2.

thanks in advance.

Hi epc2121,

The A2 is about to be updated. When it returns as the model A2.4, it'll include virtually everything we can put into it without making it twice the price. I'm looking forward to its launch later in Spring. Meanwhile I think I can share the design's high points.

(Demand for the popular rx-c version of the A2, as with all models in this series, outstripped supply and since we also have fairly long production cycles for these models, it's permanently out of stock.)

For the good news, the A2.4 will include an advanced crossover alignment for an MTM speaker, one that's quite unique. This technique has proved itself in our prototypes, and it both measures and sounds more impressive than any MTM I know of. It adopts a technique I developed in 1999.

The A2.4's enhancements thus include:

-Updated SplitGap midwoofers with a very carefully balanced suspension for improved midrange nuance and bass texture. This driver currently appears in the 2016 A3rx-c and A5rx-c shipping now and it's very good. I'm really pleased with what the team has been able to accomplish;

-New molded aluminum tweeter face plate and wave guide for treble extension to well beyond 30kHz and our flattest measured response. This is another major enhancement from our team and it gives us even better acoustical loading for our latest phase of crossover development;

-Radical new aligned crossover unit with careful attention to the problems that plague conventional MTM designs, which are acoustical axial asymmetry and compromised transient behavior. The A2.4's improved timing also greatly aids transient response - the apparent "speed" of the sound and the effortlessness of the speaker's dynamic range.

In 2.0 channel, vertical A2.4s will set up an uncannily precise, 3D image in an enormous sound stage. The A2rx-c was noted for imaging, but the A2.4 just removes any last doubt as to where each instrument is in the mix and exactly what it's doing. The speaker sounds like a very wide band one-way speaker, which is a lot of fun to hear.

The cabinet will be unaltered, although there will be some subtle design cues that distinguish the A2.4 from previous A2 models, such as a slimmer grille.

All in all this is the model that has us the most excited and I look forward to customer's reactions to this much value and performance. The price must rise - it has needed to rise for some time but with all these enhancements adding to our cost, we can't hold the line anymore - but at its new estimated price it should be a simply enormous value for what it does. There's probably going to be another spike in all-A2 5.x and even 7.x systems.

I hadn't quite wanted to release this info just yet (lots of preparatory web work to do first) but since we're this close I don't see a problem putting this out there. Hang in there; you're really going to like where this is going.

Comment

This is exciting news Jon. Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

How many of these changes (aside from the updated Split gap woofers you mentioned) are integrated into the currently shipping A3 and A5?

Comment

Hey Jon,

Any chance for some kind of trade in program? Something where we can send in our current A2, pay an upgrade fee and get the new A2 in return?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bkeeler10 View Post
          This is exciting news Jon. Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

How many of these changes (aside from the updated Split gap woofers you mentioned) are integrated into the currently shipping A3 and A5?
          The A5rx-c, an update to the original A5 that did so well in comparison testing up into the $2500/pr category, is a proven design, as is the A3rx-c. None of these models can use the technology an MTM design can, so as the successful vertical tower models they are won't change in the same way, if at all. The improved SplitGap midwoofer is already in them and will remain there for the life of the model.

Comment

Originally posted by joegeeze View Post
            Any chance for some kind of trade in program? Something where we can send in our current A2, pay an upgrade fee and get the new A2 in return?
            I can't rule it out although please realize that it's hard to do. These models earn Chane what are probably significantly lower margins than usual, which is how we pack in the good parts and keep three consecutive models in the A1 platform under $300/pr and three in the A2 platform under $230 for five years.

It's a good idea, and if we can find a way to make it work for customers who also have to incur the shipping fees of a round trip, we'll consider it. The A2rx-c is a very successful design and shares a lot with the A2.4, but perfectionists enjoy upgrades, and we'll do what we can to help. I couldn't leave the A2 alone either, so I share that desire. :)

Comment

Now for the big question , When?? Any ETA I know you said spring but early or late?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Lane View Post
                I can't rule it out although please realize that it's hard to do. These models earn Chane what are probably significantly lower margins than usual, which is how we pack in the good parts and keep three consecutive models in the A1 platform under $300/pr and three in the A2 platform under $230 for five years.

It's a good idea, and if we can find a way to make it work for customers who also have to incur the shipping fees of a round trip, we'll consider it. The A2rx-c is a very successful design and shares a lot with the A2.4, but perfectionists enjoy upgrades, and we'll do what we can to help. I couldn't leave the A2 alone either, so I share that desire. :)

Of course, I know the value Chane provides and honestly I wasn't expecting it to be a possibility. But like you said, we all share the desire for upgrades! Thanks for responding and considering the request.

Comment

Originally posted by epc2121 View Post
                  Now for the big question , When?? Any ETA I know you said spring but early or late?
                  We'll announce as soon as we know.

Comment

Since the A2rx-c and the A2.4 will have the same enclosure, would it be easier just to buy the upgraded parts (ei xover, woofer, tweeter) rather than buying the whole enchilada?

Power Sound Audio does this with their subwoofers. PSA upgraded their woofer and plate amp. Customer had the opportunity to just buy the upgraded parts rather than buying the complete unit.

We can trade in our old parts (woofer, tweeter and x-over) for the new parts, pay for the new parts and shipping?

Comment

Originally posted by GFOviedo View Post
                      Since the A2rx-c and the A2.4 will have the same enclosure, would it be easier just to buy the upgraded parts (ei xover, woofer, tweeter) rather than buying the whole enchilada?

[...]

[Can we] trade in our old parts (woofer, tweeter and x-over) for the new parts, pay for the new parts and shipping?
                      It's a logical idea but the costs, labor, odds of failure, warranty, and resale aspects say no, GFO. Retrofitting any speaker model like this - especially products with permanent, passive crossovers buried deep in the cabinet - is no small task, and the chances of an insurmountable problem are much higher. Plus, the A2rx-c label on the back will no longer apply, which complicates the used market.

Incidentally, there are two minor but important internal structural cabinet changes in the A2.4, essentially invisible and not related to sound. It's only the outside dimensions, finish, and the overall cabinet that are unchanged.

Refit costs amplify too, with the round trip for the parts alone averaging probably $50. The returning parts aren't reusable, and the cost of the 2.4 kit of parts therefore needs to be set too high to make it worthwhile, I'm afraid to say. A kit could easily run a user over $200, perhaps more after Chane adds a service fee for the inevitable customer support that would ensue.

There is a better alternative: The used market will thrive for rx-c models, and Chane customers already upgrade by just selling the outgoing model and saving all these other costs and risks - plug and play is a much more attractive option.

The classified forum here is the place to start. Swapping old for new will cost much less than rebuilding what's otherwise a perfectly serviceable, high quality working A2rx-c.

Let me emphasize that the A2.4 will be a relatively unusual model, one not found at this price point that I'm aware of. There is nothing inherently wrong with the A2rx-c at all, as its reviews will attest. The A2.4 design is just a goal I've had for a long while, and I thought we'd generate a little excitement launching it as such. It probably belongs in a more expensive model, but there's no time like the present...

Comment

Hi epc2121,

The A2 is about to be updated. When it returns as the model A2.4, it'll include virtually everything we can put into it without making it twice the price. I'm looking forward to its launch later in Spring. Meanwhile I think I can share the design's high points.

I hadn't quite wanted to release this info just yet (lots of preparatory web work to do first) but since we're this close I don't see a problem putting this out there. Hang in there; you're really going to like where this is going.
                        Ahhh, like a breath of fresh air! Great to hear it's basically official, I bet it will be great!!

Comment

Hey Jon,

How well will the new A2.4 be (timber-matching wise) with the A5-rxc's?

Comment

Originally posted by Quenten View Post
                            How will the new A2.4 be timber-matching wise with the A5-rxc's?
                            Very well. The A2.4 is at optimizing how sound launches into the space; timbre is virtually unaffected. It's a fast, open effect that gets along well with the other models.

Comment

The A5rx-c, an update to the original A5 that did so well in comparison testing up into the $2500/pr category, is a proven design, as is the A3rx-c. None of these models can use the technology an MTM design can, so as the successful vertical tower models they are won't change in the same way, if at all. The improved SplitGap midwoofer is already in them and will remain there for the life of the model.
                              I think perhaps these MTM-specific innovations may show up in the L7 . . . :D

Comment

Working...
                              X