Return of the A3rx-c and A5rx-c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Return of the A3rx-c and A5rx-c

We're pleased to say that the A3rx-c and A5rx-c, with minor updates, are finally about to restock. We expect the first shipment to arrive approximately January 15th. The new Chane webstore will accept early orders for these models Christmas week, and we'll include a delivery discount for the first 50 customers.

Customer shipping should resume about the third week in January. Chane thanks all of you for your kind patience during restocking.

Great News!! I have been waiting a while for these and now they are almost here. Will be ordering a pair of A5's in January I guess. :biglaugh:
    I hope to be one of the first 50 so I can get the discount. I guess there is not an official group buy this time?

Comment

Is there a way to know if you're part of the first 50 while ordering? And a way to determine what the shipping discount is?

Comment

Originally posted by alphaiii View Post
        Is there a way to know if you're part of the first 50 while ordering? And a way to determine what the shipping discount is?
        Shipping will be held to a flat rate of $19 per speaker delivered anywhere in the 48 continental US states. Orders are stacking up but I'd think we'll be within the 50 limit through this week. Actually, I think we'll just give everybody the flat rate until product ships.

The webstore isn't writing the flat rate yet (should this week) so we'll just refund the difference as orders arrive.

Comment

Is the shipping discount still active?

Comment

Originally posted by alphaiii View Post
            Is the shipping discount still active?
            It expires tonight.

Comment

Hi Jon,

I'm hoping to get some input from you... I currently have a Dana 640i + 630i LCR front stage, and I've been contemplating moving to a A5rx-c or A3rx-c + A2rx-c setup.

There isn't anything specific I feel the Dana are lacking... in fact I like the speakers alot. No doubt SB Acoustics makes exceptional drivers (clear, clean sound; attributable to very low distortion I've read), and I think you did an excellent job tuning the Dana series.

It's more of a desire to switch from a bulky bookshelf on stands to what I think is a more streamlined look of towers with relatively compact dimensions. In addition, while the cherry veneer is beautifully done, the orange color has always seemed a bit out of place in my home. It's weird to think of going from such a nice veneer finish to a plain black vinyl look, but I actually think it would fit a bit better, even if not nearly as nice.

My concern in making this move is of course that it's not going to gain me anything, or that I might in fact be taking a slight step backwards in overall sound quality. I'm just curious what your thoughts are on how the two series compare.

Is the A3 even in the ballpark of the 640i, or would I need to move up to the A5? The A5 has higher sensitivity which, would be a plus, and higher power handling. The A3 seems pretty close to the 640i in the sensitivity department.

How about the A2 vs 630i LCR?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Good questions, alphaiii.

First, I've always felt that the binary, superior/inferior view of two products was inadequate - yes, there are differences between any two designs, and while in many cases they could rise to a clear preference, when they do we're usually comparing products from much different acoustical classes. The main Chane site talks about this a little in one of the new sections: If we compare products in the same acoustical class, unless there is a big difference in technologies and execution, we can expect to experience a number of differences and not always winners and losers.

For an example, the 5.25" Dana 630i and 5.25" Chane A1rx-c are in the same acoustical class. They sound different and neither will overwhelm the other in a global, overall sense. They'll each have their fans and for different reasons. Acoustical class matters at least as much or more than individual technology.

How are the Danas and current Chanes different? The Danas do not use the heavier duty drivers - the SplitGap midbass drivers and the relatively large planar tweeter - but they do use low inductance motors and light, responsive, linear moving assemblies and therefore have that ability to uncover a wealth of inner detail. The Chanes have the higher dynamic envelope - they "like" to be played louder - and they have the usual black inner-note silence, which makes them a good choice for mixed recorded media. The Danas probably appeal a little more to the acoustical music fan: light, nimble, and immersive in a different way related more to detail than dynamics.

From there, ganging the 5.25" Chane SplitGap woofer into pairs and triples simply adds output, which in the A5rx-c means we can go louder and cleaner than even the sizable 20 liter 6.5" Dana 640i, which was a successful design and a popular sound in its class.

640i vs A3: Fairly close in initial acoustical class, but the A3 will go louder at the expense of a little bass extension. The 640i is slightly less efficient. Electrical loads are similar. The Dana will probably appeal to the classic 2.0 channel music listener; the A3 to the mixed music/HT user. This is a good pair to prove the notion that in similar classes, there are differences more than there are clear preferences.

630i vs A2: Less of a direct comparison because the 630i is a compact 5.25" mini in less than 10 liters, and the A2 is actually a really powerful twin woofer system with roughly four times the available displacement from about twice the cabinet volume. The 630i is from the mold of classic British 5" stand monitors - think smaller performances at lower average levels - while the A2 has been shown to fill any channel in some surprisingly large mixed use systems, all the way up to 7.x and sourced by a couple hundred watts a channel.

This may raise the question, is there a best of both worlds? I believe there will be at some point in 2016.

Comment

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the detailed reply - very informative. Having the info regarding the design components and goals does help in understanding why a given option may be more preferable in a certain situation.

I'm more of a HT than music guy (let's say 80/20), and I can see where the A5rx-c would be advantageous in that regard. Still, I can certainly appreciate what the 640i does when I sit back and listen to some music, and they're no slouch in the HT department either in my experience. I should note, however, that I've never had a speaker with the dynamic capability of something like the A5 to compare with the 640i, as I've always been in the monitor realm with my setups (Boston VS 260, Ascend Sierra-1, NHT Classic 3 to name some of my favorite along with the 640i).

I did at one point have 3 A1b's as my front stage, and I did feel the 640i/630i LCR was a clear improvement when I made the switch, but as you've already alluded to - that's not really a fair comparison. That said, I did like the A1b, which is why I haven't ruled out moving back to the Arx/Chane family of speakers, but with models more appropriate for my listening situation.

Originally posted by Jon Lane View Post
                  Good questions, alphaiii.
                  630i vs A2: Less of a direct comparison because the 630i is a compact 5.25" mini in less than 10 liters, and the A2 is actually a really powerful twin woofer system with roughly four times the available displacement from about twice the cabinet volume. The 630i is from the mold of classic British 5" stand monitors - think smaller performances at lower average levels - while the A2 has been shown to fill any channel in some surprisingly large mixed use systems, all the way up to 7.x and sourced by a couple hundred watts a channel.
                  I was actually referring to the 630iLCR, but I suspect the overall theme of what you said about the A3 vs 640i can be applied here since were talking similar acoustical class.

Originally posted by Jon Lane View Post
                  This may raise the question, is there a best of both worlds? I believe there will be at some point in 2016.
                  This is certainly interesting. I'll be looking forward to what 2016 brings.

Comment

The shorter reply I could have offered is this: The more costly Dana would usually be considered the better product, although when clarity at high levels is the goal, the Chanes come back to the fore. Both the A3rx-c and A5rx-c have good reputations.

I missed the LCR suffix. Correction: The 630iLCR is in the same class as the Chane A2rx-c and will compare to it largely the same way the 630i compares to the A1rx-c.

This said, if you are doing HT the rx-c series make a lot of sense. I don't expect the A5rx-c to be surpassed on balance any time soon - and probably never for its price - but a tower in the Dana style would be a lot of fun in the $1000+/pr. tier. As always, more driver area and enclosure volume gives us louder maximum levels, all else being equal...

Comment

That's for the input Jon.

For now, I held off to stick with the Dana setup... for now...

Comment

Working...
                      X