New Chane owner - need AVR recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Chane owner - need AVR recommendations

I bought a pair of A5rx-c main speakers. I will soon (1-2 months) be buying the A2rx-c and 2x A1rx-c. This will complete my 5.1 setup for probably 1-2 years. I still have to buy a projector, screen, and everything else to build out my HT plans.

I am looking for AVR recommendations to power this 5.1 setup. I do have my build out options below. If anyone has a recommendation on best option and best AVR to handle these speakers, I would appreciate it.

Option 1 - The Cheapskate
    Get a simple 5.1 AVR for about $250-$400 (like the Denon AVR-1913 or slightly better). This is extremely budget friendly and allows me to get most things at one time. This will be used until I can get my final plan. Once I get enough budget 2-4 years down the road I can get a final 7.2.4+ AVR.

Option 2 - Good fit for everything but 4K UHD protected
    This level allows me to get a Denon X4100W. The price is $750. This will get everything I want in a receiver and probably good for 3-5 years. It will allow 5.1.4 Atmos capability with a separate amp down the road. The only issue is that it will not support protected 4K UHD content. I am not sure how big of a deal this is because 4K projectors and content at affordable rates won't be out for about 2-5 years (IMO).

Option 3 - Get Divorced (not really, but you get the picture)
    Go all out and spend $1400 - $1600 now. Get something like the Pioneer Elite SC-95, Denon X4200, Marantz equivalent to be able to achieve Atmos 5.1.4 out of the gate. My concern with this route is that in 3-4 years, all of this will trickle down into a much lower price point, technology will be more mature, and I don't go into the doghouse for a year.

What are your thoughts? AVR recommendations?

I would go more towards the cheaper used route until you get a complete 5.1 system together. Then two three years down the road find some used 4K, Atmos A/V stuff if that is what you are after at the time. The format will be further along. New gear is nice but it just cost so much and the value drops off like a tank. Great pieces can be found on the use market.

Comment

Any recommendation on what to look for to power these speakers?

Comment

Originally posted by WLDock View Post
        I would go more towards the cheaper used route until you get a complete 5.1 system together. Then two three years down the road find some used 4K, Atmos A/V stuff if that is what you are after at the time. The format will be further along. New gear is nice but it just cost so much and the value drops off like a tank. Great pieces can be found on the use market.
        Ditto!

I waiting on

Atmos 9.1.4 and DTS-X. It would be nice to see Auro 3D but I have my doubts it will make it a home surround sound format. I've heard that 4 Atmos (in ceiling, height) speakers are the sweet spot for normal sized home theaters.

Plus I can count the # of Atmos blu-ray major theatrical releases on 2 hands.

Comment

So, what I am hearing is to go with Option 1. I will only have 5.1, maybe 7.1 over the course of the next 12-18 months. I just need to look at used, refurb, and other options at an AVR that can manage it. One criteria will be the ability to pass 3D. Animated films in 3D are awesome.

Comment

I have the A2rx-c on order now as well. I keep getting a lot of information in the Option 2 range of about $700. I think I am going to just look for something in the $250-$350 range to get me 5.1 or 7.1 for the next 2 years. After that, look at the higher more mature Atmos models at that time.

Still, if someone has a recommendation at that price point or somewhere to look, I'd appreciate it.

Thinking something on the lines of Denon AVR-S900W, Yamaha RX-V867, Yamaha RX-A740, Denon AVR-X2100W.
            Last edited by bigrednole; 10-21-2015, 06:31 PM.

Comment

After understanding more about the new tech in AVRs, I finally settled in on a receiver. I had no clue about 2 zone output. This solves another problem I had in my house. The 2nd zone will cost me ~$60 to fix with the AVR vs the $200 quote to run a new coax line to a difficult room (I can run from the AVR in the attic). To get through the walls to the structured wiring, would require much more work. $200 was the lowest quote I got.

I settled with the Denon AVR-X3200W. It limits me on Atmos but I gain DTS:X. Plenty of power at 105W @ 8Ohms.

Comment

Working...
              X