Difference between Arx "B" and Chane "C" versions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Arx "B" and Chane "C" versions

As I understand it, the Arx used the 2nd iteration of the planar tweeter, and the Chane rx-c speakers use a 3rd iteration of this tweeter, with appropriate changes to the crossover.

I recall reading the 3rd gen tweeter has better power handling... but is that the primary difference? Or were changes make to the tweeter/crossover to shape the overall tweeter response as well.

Ultimately, I'm curious how apparent the difference in sound is between the Arx and Chane rx-c speakers?

You've basically nailed it, alphaiii. The differences are both minor and audible, and relate mostly to the way the treble and midrange integrate.

Comment

Originally posted by alphaiii View Post
      As I understand it, the Arx used the 2nd iteration of the planar tweeter, and the Chane rx-c speakers use a 3rd iteration of this tweeter, with appropriate changes to the crossover.

I recall reading the 3rd gen tweeter has better power handling... but is that the primary difference? Or were changes make to the tweeter/crossover to shape the overall tweeter response as well.

Ultimately, I'm curious how apparent the difference in sound is between the Arx and Chane rx-c speakers?
      Without stepping on Jon's toes, the 3rd gen tweeter has a natural low-end roll-off that mimics the roll-off the gen 2 tweeter AFTER the "b" iteration's crossover had done its thing. This required fewer crossover components for the gen 3 "c-series" to mate with the Arx midwoofer and fewer overall components in the signal path. This, naturally, results in a purer and more open sound that is easy to hear when you A/B them (I did for the A2/A2rx-c and the A3/A3rx-c). I have yet to hear the gen 2 planars audibly complain/distort, but more headroom is always a good thing when you don't have to trade something else to get it.

The gen 3 planar tweeter also has higher power handling AND is more efficient than the gen 2 tweeter. Thus, its distortion is lower at the same output level as the gen 2, which already had excellent (very low) distortion figures. This difference, you likely won't hear because the gen 2 was already VERY clean.

Comment

Working...
      X