Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arx dipole / bipole ?

Jon,

anything like this happening in the future?
    Last edited by GFOviedo; 05-26-2015, 11:07 AM.

I am extremely interested in dipoles, especially line array dipoles. Minimize floor, ceiling (well, actually the floor and ceiling are used) and side wall reflections, what is not to like? You only need a room big enough to allow sitting far enough away from the array so that the drivers integrate.

Comment

Originally posted by GFOviedo View Post
      anything like this happening in the future?
      I can't say just yet. I'd mentioned making one over a year ago but Chane has some other things to do first. If we do, it'll use some technologies that will find their way into other things first...

Comment

Originally posted by tesseract View Post
        I am extremely interested in dipoles, especially line array dipoles. Minimize floor, ceiling (well, actually the floor and ceiling are used) and side wall reflections, what is not to like? You only need a room big enough to allow sitting far enough away from the array so that the drivers integrate.
        They can be fun, and they tend to be quite forgiving both in room immunity and in getting stacks of drivers to blend. Dipoles are a little more challenging because the cancellation frequency is higher than we'd think at first, but there are options there if we're talking big room and a big panel.

The only drawback to lines is that the wavefront is 2-dimensional - no height expansion - and a cylindrical wave behaves differently in terms of loudness and also in terms of time and impulse behavior. Big lines can sound diffuse and bigger than life, although that falls into the category of "fun", especially in home theater.

But a simple, classic line array, made not too terribly big and probably as a simple acoustic suspension system above 80Hz is attractive in a few ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Lane View Post
          They can be fun, and they tend to be quite forgiving both in room immunity and in getting stacks of drivers to blend. Dipoles are a little more challenging because the cancellation frequency is higher than we'd think at first, but there are options there if we're talking big room and a big panel.

The only drawback to lines is that the wavefront is 2-dimensional - no height expansion - and a cylindrical wave behaves differently in terms of loudness and also in terms of time and impulse behavior. Big lines can sound diffuse and bigger than life, although that falls into the category of "fun", especially in home theater.
          Yes, every design consideration is a balance of strengths and compromises.

But a simple, classic line array, made not too terribly big and probably as a simple acoustic suspension system above 80Hz is attractive in a few ways
          Hmm... very interesting. That would be nice to see.

Comment

It will be awesome to see something like this being offered by Arx! Then I wouldn't have to be looking at other brands for this. The A1's are not WAF!

Comment

It will be awesome to see something like this being offered by Arx! Then I wouldn't have to be looking at other brands for this. The A1's are not WAF!
              Chane, not Arx. ;)

Comment

Chane, not Arx. ;)

Oops. I keep forgetting about this. My bad. Chane speakers!

Comment

Oops. I keep forgetting about this. My bad. Chane speakers!
                  No problem, GFO - in fact, look at the name of this forum. At some point I have to get that changed...

Comment

Working...
                  X