No announcement yet.

A2rx-c as upright bookshelfs or mains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A2rx-c as upright bookshelfs or mains?

Anyone using A5rx-c speakers upright (vertical)? If I choose to use a pair that way, can I just unscrew and rotate the tweeters? Any comments on the sounds of these as mains?

The A2 is designed as an LCR speaker, where you can use the same speaker design as a left channel, center channel, or right channel. I'm currently using mine as left and right, but my center is coming back out of the box as soon as I get the TV out of the way. It sounds really nice. I'm not entirely sure how far you can push them, or how loud you can run them full-range though. I've tried to not break mine.

If you run them vertically, you absolutely should rotate the tweeter. It's mentioned in the Arx user manual, which I don't have a link to right now.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkNoghri View Post
      The A2 is designed as an LCR speaker, where you can use the same speaker design as a left channel, center channel, or right channel. I'm currently using mine as left and right, but my center is coming back out of the box as soon as I get the TV out of the way. It sounds really nice. I'm not entirely sure how far you can push them, or how loud you can run them full-range though. I've tried to not break mine.

If you run them vertically, you absolutely should rotate the tweeter. It's mentioned in the Arx user manual, which I don't have a link to right now.
      Awesome, many thanks. I will add a small sub if I run them as bookshelves for audio only. Volumes will not be that loud, but specs-wise they are supposed to take up to 200 watts. Even at 1/10th that, that is really loud.

My plan is to use two A5rx-c as mains, and test our the A2 as a center. If I'm not thrilled with it as a center, I'll get the Sierra Horizon center with a RAAL, as I think that might actually pair well with the A5s, then get a second A2 to use a bookshelf in another room. Yea, yea, yea, timbre matching, blah blah blah. I just want great sounding dialog :-)

My center has shipped! now just waiting for the mains.

Comment

Originally posted by AllanMaarcus View Post
        My center has shipped! now just waiting for the mains.
        You, me, and everyone else. As soon as the A5s arrive, my A2s are moving to surround duty. The only thing I'll be missing is a sub, which is why I try to be careful with bass and volume. That said, the A2s go plenty loud. :)

Edit: here's a couple comments from Jon on the subject.

Originally posted by Jon Lane View Post
        That's really great to hear, mustangvxd. I've been promoting triples of the A2rx-c for the front stage for some time. They match, they're acoustically substantial, and this model particularly projects a huge soundstage. A good option for big, room-filling sound from an affordable, relatively compact setup.
        Originally posted by Jon Lane View Post
        I find that by a small degree the A3rx-c probably the most musically engaging model in the line, and I find the A2rx-c a probably an unbeatable theater monitor at its cost. The A2rx-c has both the purity of the 2-way and that light-up-the-room quality that sounds like very clean prosound. Three A2rx-c across the front is a lot of fun, as are three A1rx-c, only smaller-sounding and a little more acoustically pinpointed.
        Last edited by DarkNoghri; 03-02-2015, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X