Atmos Speakers for the Arx line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atmos Speakers for the Arx line

We're starting to get a good bit of discussion over on HTS about Dolby Atmos Surround Sound. With content becoming available, people are asking what speakers they should get. In-ceiling vs the more traditonial box/ceiling mount vs add-ons that attach to the mains. Seems the concern is dispersion more than anything else, which I can see (speakers not very far above your head). Haven't seen any in-ceiling specs listed, which makes people a bit uneasy.

So I would love to tout an Arx Atmos speaker. I know I want them for my system. Is there any chance that we can see such an animal soon? Most interest seems to favor a smaller, stand alone box (say 5"x10"x6"). Something fairly light that would be easy to mount. How difficult would it be to develope say a 3" or 4" spit gap woofer & pair it with the current planer-magnetic tweeter & still be timber matched & meet the Atmos dispersion requirement? I'm hoping it would not be too difficult (dispersion is very good with that tweeter) & I'm betting it would sound stunning. People are not finding a go to speaker right now, I think it would be a real winner. Any thoughts?

With this being the latest/greatest format, & looking like a real advancement in surround sound technology...I figured it would generate some feedback from interested enthusiasts/consumers. Is there really not any interest in this as a format with the Arx line?

Comment

Originally posted by Quenten View Post
      We're starting to get a good bit of discussion over on HTS about Dolby Atmos Surround Sound. With content becoming available, people are asking what speakers they should get. In-ceiling vs the more traditonial box/ceiling mount vs add-ons that attach to the mains. Seems the concern is dispersion more than anything else, which I can see (speakers not very far above your head). Haven't seen any in-ceiling specs listed, which makes people a bit uneasy.

So I would love to tout an Arx Atmos speaker. I know I want them for my system. Is there any chance that we can see such an animal soon? Most interest seems to favor a smaller, stand alone box (say 5"x10"x6"). Something fairly light that would be easy to mount. How difficult would it be to develope say a 3" or 4" spit gap woofer & pair it with the current planer-magnetic tweeter & still be timber matched & meet the Atmos dispersion requirement? I'm hoping it would not be too difficult (dispersion is very good with that tweeter) & I'm betting it would sound stunning. People are not finding a go to speaker right now, I think it would be a real winner. Any thoughts?
      Just go with in ceiling speakers, easiest thing to do really if you have 10 foot ceilings or less. Going with a different brand of surround speaker isnt going to make a difference to the ear. In ceiling speakers are relatively cheap also.

Comment

I do think you should try to timbre match all surrounds, including overheads. I've also heard to you can EQ out the differences but I have no clue how to do that. It doesn't seem like there's a lot of interest though in offering something like this in the near term. I personally can't / won't punch holes in my ceiling since I've spend so much effort in sound isolation. In listing to the conversation over a AVS, Kbarnes is having some good experience with Coaxial speakers with the Tannoy Di5. I think I'll give those a shot to get started. Maybe at some point, we can convince Craig and Jon to build us some overheads :)
        LCR: Gedlee Abbeys for LR and Nathan for Center Surround & rear 4 x Sho10's
        Subs: 4 x 18.2
        Electronics: Marantz SR7002, Acurus 200x3 (LCR), PS3, HTPC, CDP300, Mits HC1500, Elite Peregrine 2.35 156" Acousticpro4k

Comment

Originally posted by dguarnaccia View Post
          I do think you should try to timbre match all surrounds, including overheads. I've also heard to you can EQ out the differences but I have no clue how to do that.
          Agree completely that timber matching is a must. Atmos does not use discrete channels, but algorithms to pull sound out & send it to different speakers to create the 3D soundfield. When these sounds are panned across the system, timber matching is a must.

It doesn't seem like there's a lot of interest though in offering something like this in the near term
          Interest is picking up rapidly. There is a fair amount of industry involvement as well. All the big name AVR's have added it. Even Intergra just added Atmos support.

In listing to the conversation over a AVS, Kbarnes is having some good experience with Coaxial speakers with the Tannoy Di5. I personally can't / won't punch holes in my ceiling since I've spend so much effort in sound isolation
          People are wanting to see what others are using because there is nothing created yet (other than the speaker "add ons"). The in-ceiling speakers are being used, but dispersion is the issue. Most are very poor and none that I've seen list their specs. People are experimenting, hoping to get a good result. Let alone the problem of installing "in ceiling" speakers. You have to check insurance/building codes. Some people are having to install fireproof boxes that hold the speakers (and they are not cheap). Expensive & not quite rite...bad combination!

I think I'll give those a shot to get started. Maybe at some point, we can convince Craig and Jon to build us some overheads
          Which brings me to the whole point of this thread. I would rather not experiment to find a best match. A small, lightweight, box speaker that can be easily mounted under the ceiling that is matched to a speaker system. It's not out there yet & whoever delivers will have market share right off the bat....IMHO.

Glad to see a little discussion!

Comment

FYI, the Tanoy Di5's are surface mount, not in ceiling. That's the only reason I'd consider them. Their dispersion is 45 degrees off axis, which is what the Atmos spec calls for.

Timbre match is the real issue though. I'm still toying with buying the parts from Craig and building a shallow, wide box of equal volume as the sho10s, but I'm not sure I'm that confident in my wood working skills quite yet :)
            LCR: Gedlee Abbeys for LR and Nathan for Center Surround & rear 4 x Sho10's
            Subs: 4 x 18.2
            Electronics: Marantz SR7002, Acurus 200x3 (LCR), PS3, HTPC, CDP300, Mits HC1500, Elite Peregrine 2.35 156" Acousticpro4k

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean. I personaly don't have the tools for the job. I'd rather buy them outright for sure.
              Last edited by Quenten; 11-03-2014, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X