Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A5rx vs Theater 10 under the stars

Hi All,
    Looking for front speakers for an outside theater. Have 9x21 foot screen that is set up out on the field and every other weekend or so I wheel out my A-V cart with dedicated receiver (Pioneer VSX 74TXVi), projector etc, set up the speakers and watch movies with family and friends. We live on 9 acres so can crank up the sound without worrying too much about the neighbors.

I own four A1rxs for the surrounds and have been using my friends A5rxs for the three fronts. I need to purchase my own front speakers and if I stay with Chane should I get my own A5rxs or go with the Theater 10s. The Theater 10s seem more industrial and might stand up better to constantly be moving from inside to outside but of course the main criteria is how they sound especially outside without walls to influence the sound.

The A5rxs sound great! I've done a direct comparison to my Paradigm Monitor 11s and although the A5rxs don't have quite as much low end punch and aren't quite as efficient they sound very similar. I'm keeping the Paradigms inside for music primarily and the speaker purchase I'm contemplating is strictly dedicated for outside use but as I've said will be stored inside when not watching movies outside.

I'm wondering if anyone has compared the A5rxs directly against the Theater 10s. As you know the Theater 10 is a 2-way design with a horn and 10" woofer and is front ported so might have more low end when used outdoors. I imagine that the A5rxs being a back ported design rely on the walls of a room to accentuate their low end. But then again the A5rxs have a 3-way crossover and the Theater 10s are a 2-way. What to do...what to do... I can also get a smoking deal on some Yamaha NS-777s so am also considering those. If anyone has compared any of these speakers side by side I'd love to hear your opinion.
    Thanks!

I've heard both the same day during Craigsub's GTG last November, and the openess and clarity in both his theater with the Theater 10's LCR (5.2 setup), and rec room with the the pair of A5s (I think we heard them 2.1 with some movie clips, and 2.0 with music.), both sounded amazing. You've probably noticed the 10's cutoff at 72 Hz are 97dB effieiency, and the 5's are cutoff at 50 Hz are 94dB efficiency. Another point, the Theater 10 is built like a tank - it has a pro use heritage. But with either, just be carefull to setup for no tipping over.

If I made the choice, i'd go Theater 10's, and get a sub, since this is a movie setup. But sans sub, you would have to weigh the gain in efficiency against the lower end between your choices. It's a close decision, but you'll be very happy either way.

Sounds like a dream to watch a movie in an open field at night! Must be exciting.

Comment

Originally posted by sbdman View Post
      If I made the choice, i'd go Theater 10's, and get a sub, since this is a movie setup. But sans sub, you would have to weigh the gain in efficiency against the lower end between your choices. It's a close decision, but you'll be very happy either way.
      +1

That scenario seems to favor the 10's, with the caveat that a sub would be mandatory. Given the environment, perhaps something along the lines of a PA sub might be warranted.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the advise guys. The 10's along with a PA sub seems like it might be the ticket. I'm assuming they're built to be moved around alot.

Comment

The PA sub is probably the best call for this situation. If you're a basshead like me, you'll want to get some of that bottom octave back that you're sacrificing for efficiency.

Comment

Working...
          X