Interested in A1b's . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interested in A1b's . . . .

As a small standmount speaker. I wonder if the midrange driver in the A5 would adapt/work in the A1b? I am interested in detail especially upper mids and treble and thought this looked like a good driver to round out that box. Any one have any ideas on that? Thankls

Originally posted by ibegon View Post
    As a small standmount speaker. I wonder if the midrange driver in the A5 would adapt/work in the A1b? I am interested in detail especially upper mids and treble and thought this looked like a good driver to round out that box. Any one have any ideas on that? Thankls
    I was actually taking to Jon about this a few months ago. However, it its both unnecessary and unfeasible and I'll explain why.

It is unfeasible because the A5's midrange is a dedicated midrange device and would not have near enough bass output.

Unnecessary because the Arx midwoofer is actually one of the better midrange drivers I've heard and is excellently tuned with the 3rd gen tweeter. Jon is currently working on the rx-c version of the A1b and this should be a large improvement over even the A1b......which has been stated to compared favorably with speakers two and three times its price.

With that said, have you had a chance to listen to the current A1b? Its already a strong performer in the midrange.

Comment

I'll also add that listening to the A3rx-c cements the Arx midwoofer's role as one of the best midranges in the under $700 price bracket. It's just outstanding. You can really hear the low distortion motor at work, revealing details without presenting harshness. Don't be misled by its prodigious bass output and ridiculous excursion capability, it is a midrange sweety.

EDIT: I should add that I only brought this idea of a adapting a dedicated midrange into the A1 BEFORE I heard what he did with the A3rx-c's.

Comment

Uh oh, you mentioned an improved model, rx-c. What might this be? I was about to pull the trigger on some X12's when I saw a shoot out where the 5's came out best and being a notorius cheapskate I wanted to see what kind of bang for the buck I could get here.

Comment

Uh oh, you mentioned an improved model, rx-c. What might this be? I was about to pull the trigger on some X12's when I saw a shoot out where the 5's came out best and being a notorius cheapskate I wanted to see what kind of bang for the buck I could get here.
          It's still in the design phase. It will use the new gen3 tweeter (which sounds very nearly identical to the gen 2 tweeter....a very good thing) and the same Arx midwoofer, with different tuning for the midrange and crossover region. It is still very much in the early design phase and is several months away, at the earliest.

What speakers are you using now and what models can you relate as having a sound that you like?

Comment

Originally posted by BufordTJustice View Post
            I'll also add that listening to the A3rx-c cements the Arx midwoofer's role as one of the best midranges in the under $700 price bracket. It's just outstanding. You can really hear the low distortion motor at work, revealing details without presenting harshness. Don't be misled by its prodigious bass output and ridiculous excursion capability, it is a midrange sweety.
            It's still in the design phase. It will use the new gen3 tweeter (which sounds very nearly identical to the gen 2 tweeter....a very good thing) and the same Arx midwoofer, with different tuning for the midrange and crossover region. It is still very much in the early design phase and is several months away, at the earliest.
            I really like our midwoofer as a midrange too. It's got a good motor and cone and lends itself really well to the planar's crossover point, and in the third gen tweeter models, especially so. In this latest iteration it gets up there with some of my favorite 5 and 6 inch midbass drivers spanning hundreds of projects. For a budget-conscious line, this is a nice place to be.

I can't overstate the importance of design. When drivers do well together - which has less to do with most theory and more to do with conscious compromises agreed before mashing together a crossover - then you have a far better chance of a open-sounding design that can really sing. (I had a hunch about the A3rx-c as a main speaker that BTJ just confirmed, by the way. It surprised me during design, as did the A2rx-c, and it's nice to see it's having the same effect among our listeners.)

The rx-c iterations have evolved the line's musicality because they have somewhat better driver synergy. The designs are a touch more "organic" and natural, and I think you can hear it when that translates to sound.

I'll let a cat out of the bag too. Sales are brisk and we're about to run out of both the A1b and A5. The A1rx-c is designed and an A5rx-c prototype is February's project. Then we go to production.

In the Skunkworks subforum here at Chane we hinted at a handful of special models in paint and a few deluxe features. These customized units will spearhead the A1rx-c and A5rx-c launches but will actually be part of another, higher-end line - I believe Craig wants to call them Chane L1, L2, L3, and so on. I'll let him play that out. Actual large production of these two new rx-c models is, as BTJ pointed out (he can hear and he's perceptive), a few months off.

We'll convert the A1b and A5 product pages in the webstore to the revised rx-c models sometime this month, and probably take reservations four or six weeks prior to inventory.

Craig and I also have to decide on how we're going to do a parallel run and launch of the deluxe versions, whatever they may be called. 2014 will see more of this base-laying for Chane as it progresses.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Lane View Post
              I really like our midwoofer as a midrange too. It's got a good motor and cone and lends itself really well to the planar's crossover point, and in the third gen tweeter models, especially so. In this latest iteration it gets up there with some of my favorite 5 and 6 inch midbass drivers spanning hundreds of projects. For a budget-conscious line, this is a nice place to be.

I can't overstate the importance of design. When drivers do well together - which has less to do with most theory and more to do with conscious compromises agreed before mashing together a crossover - then you have a far better chance of a open-sounding design that can really sing. (I had a hunch about the A3rx-c as a main speaker that BTJ just confirmed, by the way. It surprised me during design, as did the A2rx-c, and it's nice to see it's having the same effect among our listeners.)

The rx-c iterations have evolved the line's musicality because they have somewhat better driver synergy. The designs are a touch more "organic" and natural, and I think you can hear it when that translates to sound.

I'll let a cat out of the bag too. Sales are brisk and we're about to run out of both the A1b and A5. The A1rx-c is designed and an A5rx-c prototype is February's project. Then we go to production.

In the Skunkworks subforum here at Chane we hinted at a handful of special models in paint and a few deluxe features. These customized units will spearhead the A1rx-c and A5rx-c launches but will actually be part of another, higher-end line - I believe Craig wants to call them Chane L1, L2, L3, and so on. I'll let him play that out. Actual large production of these two new rx-c models is, as BTJ pointed out (he can hear and he's perceptive), a few months off.

We'll convert the A1b and A5 product pages in the webstore to the revised rx-c models sometime this month, and probably take reservations four or six weeks prior to inventory.

Craig and I also have to decide on how we're going to do a parallel run and launch of the deluxe versions, whatever they may be called. 2014 will see more of this base-laying for Chane as it progresses.
              And, I'll add, that this new-found driver synergy allows for some crossover components to be eliminated ALTOGETHER. A simpler crossover is a better crossover as long as it meets design goals (and sounds good). These rx-c models have all allowed for simpler crossover networks. The music purist in me loves that.

Comment

Sounds like it won't be long until some exciting things happen. I was a long term Klipsch owner and decided to break up the monotny with Usher 520's which I have listened to for the last six years. The Ushers image really well and have a nice balance for a five in her which is really a 4.25 inch cone. It's time for something different as the Ushies are getting lazy on the top end. I demoed RX2's and they didn't work. Really big box and a bloated sound. I wonderif MA did any real world testing outside an anecohic? In my current room I think 6.5 is the maximum. I also need a speaker that is more forgiving of older recordings

Comment

Sounds like it won't be long until some exciting things happen. I was a long term Klipsch owner and decided to break up the monotny with Usher 520's which I have listened to for the last six years. The Ushers image really well and have a nice balance for a five in her which is really a 4.25 inch cone. It's time for something different as the Ushies are getting lazy on the top end. I demoed RX2's and they didn't work. Really big box and a bloated sound. I wonderif MA did any real world testing outside an anecohic? In my current room I think 6.5 is the maximum. I also need a speaker that is more forgiving of older recordings
                  You obviously have a taste for quality gear. I think the Arx line has qualities that you will enjoy. Do you live close to Orlando, FL by any chance? I could have you over for a listen.

Comment

You obviously have a taste for quality gear. I think the Arx line has qualities that you will enjoy. Do you live close to Orlando, FL by any chance? I could have you over for a listen.
                    Unfortunately, I am not close to Orlando. I will keep lurking and see how your latest upgrade comes along. I enjoy finding things that actually sound good regardless of price or brand name. Most guys (once out of college) chase audio gear like they would chase a Merc or Bimmer. One recent accidental find was a modified Tripath 2020 by NSMT speakers. It was reviewed by Positive Feedback twice. I got one and was amazed that a Chinese T-2020 could sound so good with so much bass. It handled by 86db Ushers quite handily for "normal" loud volume (not head bang). That is the kind of things I enjoy finding. If I high rolled I would still have a huge room of "value" gear that would keep me interested and playing mix and match.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Lane View Post

Put me down for a pair of A5rx-cs, Jon! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas in July...

I'm curious about the new "Chane L1, L2, L3"... Subs, line arrays or ???? Any plans for a small side surround Arx speaker?

Comment

Working...
                      X