Speaker recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker recommendation

Hello, this is my first post and I'm excited to be upgrading my sound system for the first time in 7 years. So far, I only have an HSU VTF-2 MK4 sub. My listening style is roughly 80% HT 20% music and the setup will be in an 18 x 16 room with 19' cathedral ceiling. The rooms connects to the kitchen with no divider-I know, not acoustically ideal, but its what it is.

My old system handled the space just fine for my liking. It was a Klipsch Quintet III 5.1 with a Klipsch sub12.

Anyway...my question is I prefer the higher sound of Klipsch, but I'm looking to move up to a different line.

Which combos of Arx would you recommend for a 5.1 system with my sub?

All A2rx-c's?

(2) A3rx-c's and (1) A2rx-c and (2) A1b's?

Any other combos of the above? I haven't picked a receiver yet, but I'm leaning towards OnkyoTXNR828.

Being a home theater guy, and having that much cubic footage to pressurize with sound, I would probably opt for 3 a2rx-c's for a solid front sound stage, 2 A1b's in the back, and use the money you saved to buy another sub woofer. You won't need the A3's lower spectrum as you will probably be going with a 60 - 80hz crossover. If you were a 2 channel music listener, then it would be another story. A 2nd sub will help fill the gaps and even out the lower spectrum, giving you a much more dynamic movie theater experience.

Comment

Klipschs P-312W Palladium subwoofer 100W.

If you have good amount of budget Klipschs P-312W Palladium subwoofer 1000W.
      KZaudiovideo

Comment

Would the A2rx-c's work as a floor standing speaker or do they need to be wall mounted/shelved?

Thanks for the sub suggestion but the 312 is way out of my price range. Besides I already have an HSU-VTF2 MK3 sub. I'd like a second sub, but there's no place in my room to put it.

Comment

Originally posted by kzaudiovideo View Post
          If you have good amount of budget Klipschs P-312W Palladium subwoofer 1000W.
          Beautiful sub, but kz, you might just want to look right here at Chane???

Specs on Palladium, 123dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1m which means corner loaded in theory. This has two extra boundaries adding 6 dB each, so it's actual output would subtract 6 dB for 1/4 space (against a wall), and 6 dB for typical practice ground testing. But, more typically 2m is the testing standard and you loose another 6dB (doubling distance).

So Palladium specs end up being 105dB @ 30Hz ground plane 2m. Just checking the local current thread posted, http://www.chanemusiccinema.com/foru...119#post752119 shows a VS-18.1 with Dayton SA-1000 ($899 plus $200 shipping) specs 20-31.5 Hz @ 112.6 dB. Then above that it hits over 120dB! So, save almost $19,000 and get 8 to 15dB more output? The choice is obvious.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, supersonic, you do need more bass reinforcement, but, waf and price come first, so I understand the speakers/receiver choice!

Comment

Originally posted by supersonic View Post
            Would the A2rx-c's work as a floor standing speaker or do they need to be wall mounted/shelved?
            The A3rx-c is close to an A2rx-c with stands built in. Crossovers are different, but the drivers are identical and the tuning differs only slightly.

Sonically the A3rx-c presents a more classical image where the A2rx-c presents a more vivid, semi-prosound soundstage.

Comment

Thank you for the quick replies. So it sounds like since I'm coming from Klipsch's and I'm use to higher sound, and since this will be mostly used for HT, I would be better off with the A2rx-c's. Would these be okay as floor standing? If so, would you suggest a stand?

Comment

Working...
              X